If the Bible is truly the word of God then why are their so many different Translations ?

by smiddy3 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Another Fact: The Bible is Jewish Mythology. Written about Jews, by Jews, for Jews.

just saying!

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The Scriptures were written by Jews (of which I count my ancestry, so I am not anti-Semitic), but the overall Bible Canons were decided by Christians. The Jews' Canons are found in the Masoretic (Hebrew) Canon and in the various Greek versions (including the LXX).

The earliest Christian canon was Marcion's while the first time we see the current 27 book NT Is in the 4th century, from the Trinitarian Athanasius.

The RC's voted on their Canon at the Council of Trent. Protestants have never taken a vote on the Canon, but go by Tradition. Martin Luther wanted to rip out a few of the 27 books.

The text has experienced constant change from the moment the first ink dried on the first scroll. The book "Textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible" by Emanuel Tov provides invaluable information on the HB (Masoretic and LXX).

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi Smiddy,

Yes, it is important to recognise the variant "Bibles". And there are further levels to drill down into.

It just so happens that for my own edification, I have just marked up several pages that I selected from a book that I find handy and enlightening. I will not describe why I feel these passages are relevant, only to say that while its focus is with the earlier Hebrew writings, the book lays down useful guidelines and principles.

I have made these personally selected pages and markup very temporarily available at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Ancient_NE_thought__selected_pages_MARKED_UP.pdf

I would appreciate any reactions.

Thanks,

Doug

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Doug, I have downloaded your PDF tor read fully later, but having glanced at it, it strikes me that the principles outlined apply equally to understanding the N.T/Grk. Scrips. as well.

Unless we follow such guidelines we are sure to fall in to the trap of eisegesis, as many armchair scholars (like me) seem to do.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Well one of the reasons is that there are so many different languages on planet earth... that coupled with the missionary zeal many had to reach the lost with God's word. Another reason, following the money, the Bible is a best seller. Another reason is the the Bible is an amazing book that has had unparalleled influence on individuals and nations.

As to why there are so many English translations...I'm sure the reasons are numerous and varied, some positive, some innocuous and others somewhat self serving.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Wow ... don't people here realize that translation (the Bible or anything else) is an art, not a science.

If it was simply a matter of doing word for word translation, then the Google Translate thing would make it easy to have a "correct" translation.

However, the context, the writer, the bias of the translator, personal perceptions and many other factors affect how something is translated.

If it was that simple, then we could just use something like the Kingdom Interlinear book and see what word for word does.

There is a lot more to it than that.

Rub a Dub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Too many translators.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thanks Doug i have bookmarked the page .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit