Advice You'd Give Your 12-Year-Old Self?

by SYN 40 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

This topic came up on Slashdot, where some of the replies were...interesting, to say the least.

What would you guys say to yourselves, if you could send your 12-year-old self a message?

I know that was about the age I began to read really well, and only five years later I left "The Truth", so it was a crucial point in my life, as it is in the lives of many...?

To myself, I'd say:

"Hello self, this is...yourself speaking. Right. Deal with it. Hear me out, puzzle me out later. OK. If you do any of the following, you will probably die: 1.) Visit the WTC on the 11th Sept 2001 2.) Hang out with anyone called "Osama" 3.) Go near Afghanistan or Serbia 4.) P*ss off Nigerian drug dealers.

Now that we've got that over with, here are the winning lottery numbers: xxxxxxxx."

• dedalus
    dedalus

Neat topic! Here's a top ten "advice" list for my younger self:

1. DON'T GET BAPTISED.

2. When you're 15 years old and you go for a walk in the park with that "worldly" girl Kate, remember that she actually wants you to kiss her (and if you don't, you'll find this out later, when it's TOO LATE) -- however, stay away from the duck pond, because the PO is having a picnic with his family there.

3. Don't ever let the elders or anyone else tell you who you can or can't be friends with; trust your own instincts. Never say the words, "I can't associate with you because we don't have enough in common" when you know those words are not true.

4. Your mother doesn't realize this yet, but she's a lesbian who will leave the Organization in her own due time. Be patient -- she'll celebrate Christmas with you someday.

5. When you're 19 and dating your future wife, who will be a very hot 17, don't talk to her about Kingdom Ministries and Service Meetings -- KISS HER, you idiot! Remember that girls want you to do this more than you think they do.

6. That pair of glass you're thinking of buying are way too big for your face -- pick smaller frames. Your cheeks and forehead don't need to see through the lenses.

7. Enjoy your friendships with people in the Organization ... but do it cautiously, because they won't stay with you when you leave the religion for good.

8. English teachers don't make a lot of money. Maybe try a magazine internship when you go to college, get into publishing instead, although I'm not sure there's much money in publishing. Resign yourself to the fact that your talents aren't financially compensated.

9. George Michael's hairdo just doesn't look good on you.

10. No matter what your father says, foolishness is not tied up in your heart.

Dedalus

• SYN
    SYN
    however, stay away from the duck pond, because the PO is having a picnic with his family there.

Oooh...nasty one! Ouch!

• obiwan
    obiwan

1 Listen to your heart.

2 Girls are not the end all beat all.

3 Go to school like you want to it's only a short time and well worth it.

4 Don't try to make everyone happy.

5 Your a better person than your father says you are

6 Get your mother to the doctor to find the brain tumor early.

7 Don't get baptized get out of it when your 18!

8 People outside the organization are not evil, they have happier lives than you do.

9 Hold true to your principles a man who caves in his principles is not really a man.

10 Help your mother and sister get out of the dubs.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I'd have a few dozen things to say, but the most important would be:

Get out of the JWs -- NOW!

AlanF

• Jourles
    Jourles

Wow, after reading through everyone's list, Obiwan's #6 stopped me like a brick wall. Everyone's ideas were cute and funny until I read number six. Damn. That WOULD be something I would remind myself. Sorry about that Obiwan.

Ok, here are a few of my reminders:

1. Don't get baptized at 18. Ask the elders why wouldn't it be appropriate to wait until I was 30? Jesus did.

2. If #1 held true, then marry who you want to marry, not just someone in the "troof."

3. If #2 didn't happen, stay happily single, save all of your money and buy as much CSCO as you can in 1990 and sell it all by April 2000. Trust me, you may have to eat Ramen, but it will be nothing but fine world class cuisine after 2000.

4. After #3 happens, financially support entire family, both worldly and jw.

5. Use money and influence from #2 to warn US government about 9-11 secretly so that the perp's are stopped before they ever hit the air terminal. Oh, and have the CIA quietly assasinate Osama bin Laden.

6. Get a job at the UN by 1991 and document/photocopy all of the evidence that the WT joined as an NGO. Break the news that very same year showing they had to support the ideals of the UN charter and that obtaining a library card was a different matter entirely than registering as an NGO. Don't wait ten years to do this task, do it immediately - leave no wiggle room.

I'm sure this list could go on forever, but these are just a few things that popped into my mind at the time.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Damn this losing posts things is driving me nuts !

If this shows up twice I apolagize

SYN Excellant topic

dedalus I think we had similar childhoods. Carrying around a little baggage are we ?

I would like to add:

1. That advice on " turning the other cheek ", doesn't apply to everything. If the kids at school want to pick on you because you're different...kick the shit out of them, otherwise you'll never get any respect and you'll be a target the rest of your life.

2. Never accept everything you're told. Always get both sides of the story. Question everthing and research it.

" Millions Now Living Will Never Know "

• Simon
    Simon

Don't worry so much ... "just ask her"

You don't have to try and please everyone

If you think something doesn't make sense - have the confidence in your own reasoning and don't be intimidated by a window cleaner in a polyester suit

Buy Microsoft stock

Keep all your toys and comics - the originals will be worth a fortune and your kids will love them.

Don't ever let your mum cut your hair

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

• Don't get into a conversation with that nice lady in the kitchen talking to your grandmother - you know, the one with the pamphlets that are almost the same size as comic books? Stick to reading the comic books instead.
    • That kid that's been picking on you in gym class? Punch him right in the nose. Even if you lose the fight, he'll never bother you again.
    • And those girls that tease you? That means they like you, stupid! Tease them back!
    • You are not responsible for everyone around you. Take care of yourself.
    • If you want to read the Bible, read the Bible, not something that someone wrote about the Bible.
    • Don't ever throw away your comic books. You know, the first issues of nearly every Marvel comic and almost all of the DC silver age stuff? Save them all. Keep them in good condition. Someday, they will pay your mortgage and then some.
    • Education can be interesting. Actually do homework. Get better grades. Don't let anybody tell you not to go to college because Armageddon is coming.
    • Do more active stuff and less reading. Get in shape, play some sports or work out. That way more girls will tease you as you get older.
    • And that girl you're going to date in your senior year? Never let her go. It will take a long time to get her back, and you'll spend too many unhappy years without her.
  • xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Don't throw away that over 1000 count and something hockey card collection !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit