What's your opinion on out of body experiences?

by qwerty 50 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

Boy, Alan!

Do I ever understand this sentiment:

I suppose this attitude might be a reaction to the nonsense promulgated by the Witnesses, but in order for me to accept extraordinary claims, I deman extraordinary evidence. If I didn't, I might fall prey to any number of charlatans as bad or worse than the JW organization. No way I'll do that again!

I'm happy to read the links you provided, just won't have the time for a while. I've a funeral to attend in Ontario on Wednesday, which pushed back my trip to Texas where I'll get to meet some more ex-es!

I've been skeptical, too, in the past, yet I'm finding the situation with my niece (explained in the other double posted thread) very thought-provoking and belief-changing.

But I love researching, so I'll continue on my way, and read those links (and look into Blakemore, too, rem - thanks) either when I have some down time at my cousin's while in Texas, or when I return home.

Thanks again.

Brenda

• Farkel
    Farkel

Qwerty.

Hell, I'm having a hard enough time dealing with my "in body" experiences while living and breathing on this dang planet! Now you bring up the possibility of "out" of body stuff. There is just too much stuff in life to deal with! I'd rather be in Philadelphia ( to paraphrase W.C. Field's Tombstone Epitaph.)

Would you explain to me this nonsense that you answered to my other reply in this thread?:

: Every expert likes to theorise. Just way can they not just be a bit more like you!

Did you mean to say "why" instead of "way?" If so, the whole thing make a lot more sense! If so, it shows that a single letter can change the meaning of everything. Debates on the Bible are routinely made on a single letter in that goofy book.

God must get a big kick out of all of this. He allegedly gave us "His Word" and then sat idly by while humans tinkered around with it and changed it according to their whims and beliefs. God is a jerk, or at the very least, he's lazy and doesn't attend to the business of being "God."

Therefore, God can go to the same hell that he made for us. I have no use for lazy Gods who can't even keep their own Holy Books(tm) in proper order. If God is too lazy or too disinterested to protect that which is supposed to give we humans what we need for our eternal Salvation(tm), then I'll get myself a new God.

Farkel

• qwerty
    qwerty

Farkel,

Yes I did mean "why", sorry................

Farkel..........The problem is proving that such is so, since there are so many other explanations for it. I don't totally discount that possibility, but I don't embrace it, either.

Every expert likes to theorise. Just way can they not just be a bit more like you!

All I meant by that was being open minded (skeptical) is not a bad thing. We were very closed minded has JW's, the problem is we can still be that way now XJW's.

Every expert likes to theorise. Just way can they not just be a bit more like you!

Most experts theorise with a closed agender..........if they could have your attitude not discounting, yet not embracing. That's all I was saying

Qwerty

• qwerty
    qwerty

Farkel, LOL @........................

Hell, I'm having a hard enough time dealing with my "in body" experiences while living and breathing on this dang planet! Now you bring up the possibility of "out" of body stuff.

Qwerty

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

The program in question could provide 1 (one) instance where there scientific evidence that a person had remembered things that happened when she was brain dead on the operating table.

She was having a tumour cut out from the base of her brain, and was cooled down to a point where there was no neural actvitity, and was being extensively monitored through out.

All the other cases had other possible explainations.

She heard various aspects of dialogue during the operation, as well (I think) as the classic 'bright light' thing.

Now, all the anecdotal stuff can go blow in my personal opinion. People obviously believe it happens, but belief and reality are two different things.

This one scientifically decent instance is a little harder to get by.

The program went into some pretty heavy speculation about the nature of consciousness in an attempt to provide a scientific rationale, but didn't really get anywhere with it as it was speculation.

As are all the theories about what the 'bright light' stories mean. Speculation.

So, the facts are, a person CAN pick up things that happen in a state normally thought of as brain dead.

This means three things;

1. We have a seperable non-physical component to our personality.
    2. Someone is lying.
    3. We don't understand how the brain works under those conditions, or that much at all, and there's a perfectly decent material scientific explaination waiting to be discovered.

Anything beyond that is conjecture. Believe if you like, but you have to use faith rather than facts to validate your belief.

I'd like to see a nice broad-based study accross beliefs and unbeliefs to see if there is any pattern in NDE's according to expectations. Never heard of a virtuous pagan haveing an NDE of limbo...

Mary;

Actually yes. Approximately 15% of people that have Near Death experiences do not see a bright light and/or God, but rather they experience what one of them describes as "a classical example of Hell." I recall seeing an interview with one guy who had this experience a few years ago: he didn't believe in God, used drugs, screwed around on his wife, was a lousy father, etc. After he experienced this NDE of Hell, he realized that he had a chance to make a better person of himself. He stopped taking drugs, stopped committing adultery, was a much better father and became a Christian. He feels that he is a much better person now, and actually counsels young people about the dangers of living an immoral lifestyle.

So if this was simply the brain shutting down because of lack of oxygen, I would think that everyone would have the same experience: bright light, euphoric feeling, seeing God or Jesus........but apparently, that's not the case

Please could I have links, URL's, sources? I've often wondered about this aspect and haven't come across any such stories. You obviously have access to this data and I'd like to review it.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Actually yes. Approximately 15% of people that have Near Death experiences do not see a bright light and/or God, but rather they experience what one of them describes as "a classical example of Hell." I recall seeing an interview with one guy who had this experience a few years ago: he didn't believe in God, used drugs, screwed around on his wife, was a lousy father, etc. After he experienced this NDE of Hell, he realized that he had a chance to make a better person of himself. He stopped taking drugs, stopped committing adultery, was a much better father and became a Christian. He feels that he is a much better person now, and actually counsels young people about the dangers of living an immoral lifestyle.

So if this was simply the brain shutting down because of lack of oxygen, I would think that everyone would have the same experience: bright light, euphoric feeling, seeing God or Jesus........but apparently, that's not the case

I hadn't heard about this type of NDE either, but it fits right in with a physical explaination; he thought of himself as someone fit for hell, deep in his subconcious.

• Mary
    Mary

To SixofNine and Abbadon:

Sorry, I didn't see it on the Net, it was on TLC a while ago. They interviewed people that saw the Light and God, etc. and they interviewed one girl who described her experience as "the classical idea of Hell." The show said that while most people have a "good" NDE experience, approximately 15% have visions of Hell.

I'll see if I can find anything on the internet about this and get back to you!

• Mary
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

Thank you Mary! It's so nice to have someone come back with sources;

This is the meat;

http://ag.fateback.com/senarios.html

INITIAL EXPERIENCE
    (sometimes referred to as the "non-experience")
    Involves elements such as;
    A loving nothingness.
    The living dark.
    A friendly voice.
    A brief out-of-body-experience.
    A manifestation of some type.
    Usually experienced by those who seem to need the least amount of evidence for
    proof of survival,
    or who need the least amount of shakeup in their lives at that
    point in time. Often, this becomes a "seed" experience or an introduction to other
    ways of perceiving and recognizing reality.
    Incident rate:
    76% with child experiencers
    20% with adult experiencers

UNPLEASANT AND/OR HELL-LIKE EXPERIENCE
    (inner cleansing and self-confrontation)
    Encounter with a threatening void or stark limbo or hellish purgatory.
    Scenes of a startling and unexpected indifference.
    "Hauntings" from one's own past.
    Usually experienced by those who seem to have deeply suppressed or repressed
    guilts, fears, and angers and/or those who expect some kind of punishment or
    discomfort after death.
    Incident rate:
    3% with child experiencers
    15% with adult experiencers

PLEASANT AND/OR HEAVEN-LIKE EXPERIENCE
    (reassurance and self-validation)
    Heaven-like scenarios of loving family reunions with those who have died previously.
    Reassuring religious figures or light beings.
    Validation that life counts.
    Affirmative and inspiring dialogue.
    Usually experienced by those who most need to know how loved they are, how
    important life is and how every effort has a purpose in the overall scheme of things.
    Incident rate:
    19% with child experiencers
    47% with adult experiencers

TRANSCENDENT EXPERIENCE
    (expansive revelations, alternate realities)
    Exposure to otherworldly dimensions and scenes beyond the individual's frame
    of reference; sometimes includes revelations of greater truths. Seldom personal
    in content. Usually experienced by those who are ready for a "mind stretching"
    challenge and/or individuals who are more apt to utilize (to whatever degree)
    the truths that are revealed to them.

Incident rate:
    2% with child experiencers
    18% with adult experiencers

Statistics based on the research of P.M.H. Atwater, includes four major types of near-death scenarios and percentage of occurrence with 3,000 adult experiencers of near-death states, and 277 child experiencers

And more;

http://www.jtmedia.com/angstrom/xfiles/hell/

Whether it has been the result of conscious or unconscious suppression, the fear of being ridiculed, or the individual's expectations, many fewer negative NDEs have been reported. Dr. Rommer has coined the name, less-than-positive (LPD), for these experiences. LPDs frequently occurred in people who had either attempted suicide, had had hateful, harmful, or unpleasant feelings, or had been brought up with the religious expectations that if they did not live up to expectations they would be doomed to an eternity in Hell.

I've underlined the comments I find interesting. To me they seem to indicate that the nature of an NDE is determined by the interior factors, rather than as a result of evaluation of worth by some exterior entity.

Remindes me of the Tori Amos song;

CRUCIFY

Every finger in the room is pointing at me
    I wanna spit in their faces
    Then I get affraid what that could bring
    I got a bowling ball in my stomach
    I got a desert in my mouth
    Figures that my COURAGE would choose to sell out now.

I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
    Looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets
    I've been raising up my hands
    Drive another nail in
    Just what GOD needs
    One more victim

Why do we crucify ourselves
    Every day I crucify myself
    Nothing I do is good enough for you
    Crucify myself
    And my HEART is sick of being in chains

Got a kick for a dog beggin' for LOVE
    I gotta have my suffering
    So that I can have my cross
    I know a cat named Easter
    He says will you ever learn
    You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the brid

I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
    Drive another nail in
    Got enough GUILT to start
    My own religion

Crucify myself

Please be
    Save me
    I CRY

Looking for a savior in these dirty streets
    Drive another nail in
    Where are those angels
    When you need them

Crucify myself

Why do we change (chains?)
    Crucify ourselves
    Everyday

Never going back again
    Crucify myself again
    You know
    Never going back again to
    Crucify myself
    Everyday

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

AH, come on, someone disagree with me, otherwise it's no fun...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit