What's your opinion on out of body experiences?

by qwerty 50 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm always amazed at how quickly people want to chalk these things up to supernatural events, proof of another dimension, etc., yet very few people attribute the same "spiritual" status to drug induced experiences. Also, in the past, especially among some cultures, it was actually common to attribute "spiritual" status to drug induced experiences and to take drugs just for that purpose. Why is that?

:I believe that there is far more, outside the miniscule capsule of synapses that we call our minds, than we dare believe.

I know you don't mean to be insulting to AlanF, LittleToe, but do you think it is just possible that AlanF is every bit as brave in thought and action as yourself? Perhaps "daring to believe" is not the problem at all? Perhaps if ones emotions pull one with a force stronger than anothers' (say, Alan, for instance) emotions pull him, it isn't bravery, chutzpah, or even god, that influences what one person believes vs what another believes? And if it is god, why is he so oddly selective... the pedophile (for example) has a vision and "knowledge" of a spirit realm so clear it's as sure as the sun coming up tomorrow while poor AlanF sits, agnostic and happy, with his thumb up his ass, trying to deconstruct the WT? [;)]

I for one, appreciate the brilliance and chutzpah of those who dare to (and have the mental acuity to) delve deeply into the gargantuan frontier of unexplored, undiscovered territory that is the human mind. And that with billions of people cackling behind them "you're not going to find anything, it's really all spirit".

• Solace
    Solace

Sixi,

From a different viewpoint, I am also surprised how some can be so quick to chalk these experiences up to being dreams, or drug induced hallucinations.

In my opinion, stating to know for a fact that there is, or isnt life after death when we havent even been there ourselves is a pretty close minded thing to do.

I guess we will, or wont find out when we get there. Until then, Im keeping an open mind.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Explain the blind womens experience?................Directed to those who are sceptical!

Qwerty

• Gerard
    Gerard

Had two. The first one was scary so I read a lot trying to unsderstand After about one year I finaly learn its name, and related theories. Years later had a second one and I just let go. I had a "guide" he was not a relative and it was a memorable journey. And you know what? None of it contradicted my preconceived religious (Roman Catholic) beliefs. I do not fear death because I know there is more...without HAVING to become a cult member of any organization.

PS: I hope I don't freak you more, sweet guanash.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Well, to be honest, I really don't know what to think about them, but I experienced something akin to an OBE last summer.It happened three times in a two week period-twice it involved a dream state at night, and one time it occurred on a sunny afternoon while I was taking a hike .

The same person (someone I don't know) appeared to me all three times, while it felt as though I was floating somewhere outside of myself. The person told me their name, but I was told I couldn't reveal it for some reason.I was shown that even though things were really painful in my life right then, everything was going to be all right.

Ever since then, after years of not being able to recall my dreams, I suddenly started having very vivid, meaningful dreams.

Having been skeptical in the past of this sort of thing, I was taken aback, to say the least.I still don't know what to make of it-if it was caused by some kind of electrical overload in my overstressed brain, or if I should believe in astral projection or life on some other plane. I'm very curious, but frankly also reluctant to investigate.

If I'd only had the nocturnal experiences, I could've just chalked it up to some really nice dreams, but there was that day time one, too.

At any rate, whatever it was, it was a positive experience for me and I'm glad it happened.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:From a different viewpoint, I am also surprised how some can be so quick to chalk these experiences up to being dreams, or drug induced hallucinations.

Heaven, I can only say that I find that statement excedingly odd. Given what we are ALL aware of with regards to dream and drugs (even if not thru personal experience in the latter instance), why would you find it surprising that hallucination/dreamlike experiences are labled as undoubtably (in many peoples minds) just that, a dream or hallucination?

Btw, in my previous post, I was not suggesting that these out-of-body experiences are drug induced, although givin the situation (often hospitals), it seems likely many of these people are on at least some drug. No, my point is, why are drug trips not considered a spiritual experience by most people? Some may say, "because, that's ridiculous to believe", and I would agree. We all know that our brains can be affected by external and our own physical influences. We further know that our brains may hold thoughts and information that we have no awareness of in our everyday state.

I've yet to be shown a situation in life where it can be argued that healthy skepticism is a bad thing, like you, I want to keep an open mind. It's a delicate balancing act though, imo. I think most of ours' experience shows we humans have a tendancy to glom onto belief, w/o good evidence. Nothing closes a mind faster than believing.

: None of it contradicted my preconceived religious (Roman Catholic) beliefs.

Do they ever?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi LittleToe,

:: "Out of body" experiences are nothing more than unusually intense dreams, or dreamlike states of mind.

: Interesting statement, Alan. You seem quite categoric.

With things like this, I’m extremely skeptical. The brain is extremely powerful on its own, in terms of influencing the body and creating internal “experiences”, and I don’t think we need to look beyond it to explain all sorts of strange subjective phenomena. Keep in mind that our experience of “reality” is just the brain’s interpretation of all of its sensory inputs. When the senses get screwed up, or the interpretive mechanism goes awry, the person “experiences” all sorts of weird things – but these have nothing to do with objective reality -- meaning reality outside the messed up brain -- reality that other people with normal brains could also experience.

: I believe that there is far more, outside the miniscule capsule of synapses that we call our minds, than we dare believe.

I assume you mean things like we have an immortal soul or something like that. Well, I have yet to see an iota of evidence for any such things.

In some cultures, such as those originating in parts of Africa where “spirits”, good and bad, are believe to influence everyday affairs via blessings, curses, witchcraft and so forth, everyone claims to experience all sorts of magical, miraculous things. For lack of a better term I’ll class such beliefs as voodoo. But someone from outside the culture can live in it and not experience anything like what the cultural natives claim to, no matter how hard they try to observe those things, as long as they remain skeptical. It’s the same thing in the culture of some American religions I’m familiar with. “The Lord did this for me today” and “The Lord told me thus and so” are common claims, which have no objective reality whatsoever. People from these cultures believe in these things for no better reason than that they were trained to.

I think that things like “out of body experiences”, “demon attacks”, “alien abductions” and especially the notion of an “immortal soul” have much in common with these culturally induced beliefs. No one has ever demonstrated their objective reality.

: Of course, my statement need not necessarily be any more correct than yours.

True, but I have some pretty solid evidence to back up my statements. The proverbial situation applies: Suppose you tell me that you have a powerful, invisible pink unicorn hovering over your head, helping you out in every situation. Need I demonstrate that your claim is false? Not at all. It would be you making the extraordinary claim, and as we all should know, extraordinary claims ought to require extraordinary evidence for intelligent people to believe them.

Hi Heaven,

: Sometimes people only believe what is physical, or solid.

For very good reason. Things that are not physical and solid cannot be demonstrated. Like the invisible pink unicorn over LittleToe’s head.

: You just cant deny that there have been many people with similar experiences.

More precisely, I can’t deny that many people claim to have had such experiences. For example, a JW I used to know claimed that when he was “coming into the Truth”, he experienced demon attacks. He claimed that a “succubus” would get in bed with him in the middle of the night and try to rape him. He was absolutely convinced that this was objective reality. I asked him if he was doing drugs at the time. He claimed he wasn’t. The better part of a year later I asked him again about his drug experiences. Turns out he had been doing LSD a lot until he got into his JW bible study a couple of months. Now, we all know that many people who do LSD can have strong hallucinations months after they quit. Combine that with the usual nonsense JWs teach about “demon attacks” and the very real warning they give that a person beginning to study with them will soon experience opposition from every quarter, including from Satan himself, and you have a deadly combination.

It’s the same thing with UFO’s and such. A particular story gets a lot of publicity, and then some people start “experiencing” the same kind of thing. History is full of such fads.

And remember that just because a person claims to have had a real experience, this does not mean that he did. Towards the end of his life my dad began experiencing hallucinations due to congenital brain damage. He told me that he often couldn’t distinguish between hallucination and reality, except that the hallucinations eventually gave themselves away, sometimes by suddenly ending. He actually “saw” imaginary people sitting in the room with him and could carry on conversations with them.

: How can so many people dream the same thing, or know things that they otherwise wouldnt have, while they are unconscious, or flatlined?

People’s brains have similar wiring. Similar situations produce similar reactions. Some scientists have done objective testing of “out of body experiences” and found that particular combinations of stress, such as being unconscious and near death due to oxygen starvation of the brain, or whatever, induce similar reactions in people. People experience many of the same things going through life. When the brain gets stressed, people from similar cultural backgrounds experience the same type of stress reaction. I seem to recall a TV documentary several years ago that said that people from non-Western (and heavily Christian-influenced) cultures have “out of body experiences” quite different from people from Western cultures.

Hi Qwerty,

I can’t explain the blind woman’s experience. However, I suspect that if the full story were to be told, it wouldn’t be nearly as clear cut as you’ve been led to believe. I have yet to see such wild stories stand up under careful examination. How is it that my stepson sometimes has “out of body experiences” when sleeping normally? He’s convinced that they’re real, but I’m convinced that they’re just intense dreams, since I have very intense dreams sometimes.

AlanF

• Mary
    Mary

Simon said: "....Like a computer, our brain is capable of 'rendering' the scene from different viewpoints. Just because I can have a picture from the corner of the room does not mean that I've been in the corner of the room........"

Sorry Simon, I don't agree. If you were looking at this picture of the car below, would you believe someone that said the picture was taken from the inside of the car looking out? Not likely. The logical conclusion would be that the person who took the picture was outside of the car, looking at it when they took the picture.

I think the same thing can be applied to Out of Body, or Near Death experiences. If someone says that they were outside of their bodies looking in at it, than that is exactly what happened. I've come to believe that we all have a spiritual self that can indeed leave the physical body when it's under extreme duress which is why so many people describe the same thing: they see their bodies and can describe events going on around them even if they're at deaths door. How else could someone who's having a NDE accurately describe conversations that are going on rooms away from where they are lying on a hospital bed? Or how can the brain let you know that you had an older brother or sister that died before you were born, when your parents had never told you this? Yet people who have experienced NDEs have 'met' these siblings during their experience.

Paul describes an Out-of-body experience in 2 Corinthians 12: 1-4 where he says:

"...I shall pass on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in union with Christ who, 14 years ago--whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know; God knows--was caught away as such to the third heaven. Yes, I know such a man--whether in the body or apart from the body----......that he was caught away into paradise.........."

Science can answer alot of questions, but certainly not all of them, and certainly not spiritual questions, because they deal in strickly, the physical world. Spirituality and religion hold little interest to science, probably because it cannot be proven in a physical sense, but that doesn't mean that a spiritual world doesn't exist.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I believe that when one actually has an out of body experience, one has an out of body experience.

The problem is proving that such is so, since there are so many other explanations for it. I don't totally discount that possibility, but I don't embrace it, either.

Farkel, always the skeptic

• Undecided
    Undecided

One of my friends had an out of body experience in the hospital. What it actually was he doesn't know. He looked down on himself and saw his doctor cuss a nurse for dropping something. When he woke up he told the doctor he shouldn't be so hard on the nurse and the doctor wondered how he knew this. He also said he was talking to others in the spirit realm(or whatever it was) and asked what religion was right, they just laughed and said religion didn't matter. He was never a JW.

I am very skeptical of it being anything other than his brain playing tricks on him. He doesn't know what to make of it either. I can't prove what it was, or what it was not. I will know some day if it is true, or not know.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit