"...You will be Disfellowshipped for 7 years"

by HereIgo 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Half banana: Now don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of wife swapping...

If everyone is on-board, no harm no foul, eh?

• Half banana
    Half banana

The funny thing is that Biblical morality showed that God's chosen ones, those paradigms of faith and virtue like King David had concubines and affairs and killed a husband to get the wife. Outrageous behaviour by modern standards. Most Bible characters has less than perfect marriages.

The example of the New World Society is also fraught. Russell (jellyfish man) married to enjoy a sexless union and Rutherford a married man appears to have lived with his "anointed" mistress. Knorr was against the principle of sex probably because he could not control it in others.

Anyway it's nobody else's business if I have a harem!

• steve2
    steve2

Disfellowshipping has always been first and foremost an organization-reputation saving practice. When good JWs do "bad" and the non-JW community hears about it, no amount of tears and repentance counts. You're out.

Coming in a distant second is keeping the organization "clean" - which is kind of funny, because at any one time, various JWs are in the planning stages of - if not actually engaging in - deliberate immoral acts that, if uncovered, would see them hauled before judicial committees. So it goes on - just not openly.

• minimus
    minimus

7 is a perfect number for JWs

• ssn587
    ssn587

In a congregation I was in in the early nineties, we had couples that swapped partners, and yet they were all four reinstated in 6 months, not even a year

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I knew a fella who took his missus to a wife-swapping party and he was sent away with instructions to bring some collateral next time.

• fulano
    fulano

Co has nothing to do with reinstatements.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    "snugglebunny6 days ago6 days ago

I think it was DO Turnbull from the UK who was df'd for something like that and given a 10 year sentence."

the rumour mill went into overdive about that...such as " knorr came over to the UK to d/f Doug Turnbull personally!!

but according to Bevan Vigo ( London HQ now )---he was our CO back then----Doug was by then just a publisher in the Tamworth congregation at the time.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There just has to be some biblical reasoning behind the 7 year sentence otherwise the whole thing would seem rather arbitrary and made up by a mere man.

I supposed one could reason that the bible says to forgive not 7 times but up to 77 times. 77 divided by 12 (the number of months in a year) doesn't divide equally rather it comes out to 6.41 years.

Using the same creative logic and math that as was used in the new overlapping generation teaching, a sentence of 6.41 years would mean that the 6th year would "overlap" into the seventh year and the sentence would essentially be made up of "parts" of 7 years.

Evidently, the disfelloshipped individuals could seek reinstatement at the 6.41 year mark however reinstatement wouldn't be granted until 7 full biblical years had passed.

Yeah....that's it.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

7 years for wife swapping! Hell I would take that as 7 years of plenty! Like the fat cows of Nebbu's dream! Not the wives though. They should be in the svelte class. And all wives if Co's and elders!. Yup Ill take the seven years and all the wife swapping I could get in those seven so that I could get another seventy seven!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit