"...You will be Disfellowshipped for 7 years"

by HereIgo 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Shortly before I left the "troof" a CO had given a talk during his visit. At the time there was a scandal going on in the congregation where 2 couples basically swapped spouses with each other. It was quite the scandal. Anyway, from the platform the CO stated " Don't think you can just cheat on your spouse and come back in a year, you will be DF for 7 years!" (he might as well have mentioned them by name from the stage) This was just further evidence that this whole religion is ran by men. Does the CO really have the power to decide when someone can be reinstated?

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Hard to say, he has a lot of sway, it takes elders who will not be bullied to stand up to him, on the other hand 7 years is a lot of time, aren't they rotated every 3 years?

• usualusername1
    usualusername1

In London in the 90s I heard that couples who swapped spouses would be disfellowshipped for 7 years. I think it's meant to be a deterrent...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The 7 years is a minimum that comes from the cult leaders, not the C.O.. they really are not supposed to say the number, but just mention "a long time" because the sinner definitely knew better and might just be scheming to have his/her divorce and a short DF then reinstatement.

• steve2
    steve2

For some, payment of 7 years in the cold for spouse-swapping could be a real bargain.

• Chook
    Chook

The reading of hearts is the CO speciality, these guys are judge and executioners, 7 years is kind considering these COs if in Israel would throw the first stone. Reinstatement is always at the mercy of men influenced by Warwick . Just like these guys who condemn clergy to Gehenna, those toward the top of JW tree KNOW of the fraudulent teachings that have plagued the WT, so in turn when their judicial process gets it wrong and some poor bugger kills himself someone has to pay . Then there is the big question if there is a God who values justice then big Tony tight pants is going to get fried by god himself.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don't know when the o/p's experience happened but in the mid nineties there was a scandal in the Cong when an elder's wife ran off with a young bro ( toy boy ) ... after the divorce and 're marriage the errant couple were reinstated within a couple of years .

A lot of people ,mainly 'sisters' grumbled loudly that it was all too quick ......

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sounds like an old Romanian peasant curse.

You are the sons and daughters of fatherless goats and you will be doomed to wander friendless and without family support for seven years. No person will look upon you as you will be dead to them. (Spits the ground)!!!

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I think it was DO Turnbull from the UK who was df'd for something like that and given a 10 year sentence.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It puzzles me how wife-swappers might still want to crawl back to the WT cult. Is it they are so convinced JWs have the only truth when four people presumably organize themselves to flagrantly break the rules.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of wife swapping but especially among elders and their wives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit