"...You will be Disfellowshipped for 7 years"

by HereIgo 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds like a rare moment of candor from the CO. Or just lost his head and said something he later realized he shouldn't have.

I'm quite sure that in the service department, there is a "little black book" of sorts with all the "official but never explicitly stated" terms of punishment for various offenses: Wife-swapping = 7 years, Apostasy = X years, theft of WTS money = Y years, etc.

• steve2
    steve2

In this enlightened day of gender equality, may we please call the practice under discussion here "spouse swapping". Besides, my understanding is that it's not just the wives who are swapped, right?

• stillin
    stillin

I usd to make myself available for various repairs and modifications on the camper homes of the CO's when they were in town. He suggested that I come and get a look while he was in the elder's meeting Saturday evening. His wife was going to be there and she would know what there was to do.

Oh, boy. Of course, campers are tight spaces. She made good use of that when squeezing by me in the hallway. Then she took a sex-kitten posture on the bed, complete with foxy smile. I had come from a pretty loose lifestyle and I knew exactly what was going on and I still commend myself for "keeping it business" against those odds.

What I guess I'll never know is whether the CO knew that his wife needed to get laid and I was a match. He certainly wasn't following the official WT protocols!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Love the biblical 7 !!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They can talk all they want, but just try actually doing it. Does that mean 7 years of not being hounded into doing whatever Israel mission is on the roster? Does that mean 7 years of not being expected to waste all your money pious-sneering (plus another one because you need a whole year after reinstatement to pious-sneer)? Does that mean 7 years of not getting up early Saturday morning for field circus? Or not having to do those duties, such as ragazine duty? Being hounded to become an assistant hounder?

Besides, 7 years is plenty of time to do research on the whole religion. If they find out that the religion is not even true according to its own damnation book, or that the whole damnation book is black magic against the whole human race, they might not want to go back to the cancer at all. Then they get zero money for the Worldwide Damnation Fund. Zero Israel missions (instead, they just buy the monster box of silver or take their own vacation to wherever they see fit). Zero field circus, zero suit dry cleaning bills, zero poisonburgers, zero gas wasted, zero impact on throwing away rubbish from their poisonburgers or suit dry cleanings into the landfill (do those buildings even have recycling bins?).

And, any children will actually get to have their ice cream cones.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@stillin The CO's wife be like: "Potiphar's wife is my homegirrrrllll."

• Island Man
    Island Man

JWs love to say that only unrepentant people are disfellowshipped. But the COs words reveal that appearances trump repentance. If a JW commits a sin that becomes well-known in the non-JW community and brings reproach on the congregation from non-JWs, that JW will be disfellowshipped no matter how truly repentant he is!

The organization values its reputation as sqeeky clean, only true Christians, more than it values love, justice and mercy for the repentant. They're no better than the pharisees mentioned in the bible.

• sparky1
    sparky1

The entire scenario of disfellowshipping an individual for extended periods of time is an unbiblical practice created by the leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses religion. The so-called template for the disfellowshipping and reinstatement arrangement is contained in 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians. In 1 Corinthians, Paul admonishes the 'congregation' to 'remove the wicked man from among yourselves'. This 'brother' was known to have had a sexual relationship with his step-mother and Paul considered this sin to be especially shocking and something that 'the nations' would not even engage in. Hence, he was to be 'disfellowshipped'. In 2 Corinthians Paul instructs the congregation to welcome back and 'reaffirm your love' for the sinner so that he is not over-reached by Satan. In essence, he is to be 'reinstated' according to Jehovah's Witness parlance. Here is the 'rub'. Many Bible scholars believe the 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians were written in the year AD55. Even the 'Silver Sword' Bible says that both books were written in the same year. So, according to Paul, someone that committed a very serious and vile sin should only be disfellowshipped for a year or less! The modern, time assigned punishment for individual types of sins is NOT a Biblical standard but one instituted by the leaders of Jehovah's Witness and the Watchtower Corporation. Jehovah's Witness leaders have never let the Bible 'get in the way' of their theological construct.

• sir82
    sir82

sparky1,

Yes, and in addition, did you ever note this:

2 Cor, 2:6 (NWT): This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man

(Bolding mine)

Note that some in the congregation didn't even shun the sinner.

Also note: Most non-WTS scholars* are of the opinion that the man of 2 Corinthians 2 is different than the one mentioned in 1 Corinthians 5. But the WTS is adamant that they refer to the same person.

The WTS has never - not once in the 65+ years of the modern disfellowshipping arrangement - commented on that phrase in 2 Cor. 2:6.

* Edit: In re-reading this, the phrase "non-WTS scholars" seems to imply that there might be "WTS scholars" but of course there are no such things in existence. It should read "Biblical scholars".

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Seven years, oh really, that didn't apply to an Elder and Pioneer Sister that were both married but had been carrying on an affair for years. When they finally got caught, he conducted the Washtowel on Sunday and was DF'd that Thursday, she was too. After a year they were both reinstated, eventually they both divorced their spouses and got married and last I heard they're still in da troof, this happened back in the late 70's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit