How to handle invites to dinner after Sunday meeting?

by FadeToBlack 14 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I have not been to a meeting for over a year. Yesterday, when my wife returned from the 1 day assembly, I got an invite for dinner next Sunday. I said I would think about it, To be honest, as nice as the people are, it would just be boring listening to their comments about everything JW.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I may or may not accept. Sometimes I hang out with non-JW family members for similar reasons.

Are they good cooks? Will there be wine?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Just simply make-up something like you are expecting company from far away that weekend, or you have plans with someone else to go for dinner or something.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Go with your gut, no matter how "nice" the "friends" are, they are still indoctrinated, so you won't be free to relax and be yourself.

But, don't go out of obligation, I'm assuming you don't owe them anything.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Accept, go and have the food and the company, but if the conversation starts pointing the finger at you in some way, offer your thanks for the lovely meal and say your farewells. Prepare your wife before you go.

Enjoy your time.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Tell them you would have to have a kosher, gluten free, vegan, diabetic friendly meal.😉

• out4good4
    out4good4
    Accept, go and have the food and the company, but if the conversation starts pointing the finger at you in some way, offer your thanks for the lovely meal and say your farewells.

ROFLMAO.....

Reminds me of a time during my awakening when my wife accepted the invitation of some elders to come to our home.

I guess they'd heard about the last time a couple of elders came into my home trying to dress me down.

The first words out of their mouths was "You're not going to throw us out of here are you?"

• rebel8
    rebel8
    "I'm sorry I can't make it. I've come down with a case of explosive diarrhea. It just comes on me without warning. Sometimes I can't even make it to the bathroom in time. This has become a chronic condition, so I won't be better any time soon. Leviticus counsels us to stay away from others when we are unclean."
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Accept with gratitude and enjoy a good meal....... (at least that is my attitude) If the company is too hard to take, then simply decline with manufacturing a reason. NB One couple has been threatening this to us though but I don't want to go there . The last time gave me a rotten tummy ache (where was the Alka Seltzer?)
  • Simon Templar
    Simon Templar
    What's the point? It sounds as if you are fading. I would look at the calendar in my mobile and say, "It looks as if I have something already committed at that time. I have to pass. Thanks for asking". Leave it at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit