I've graduated at last

by fulltimestudent 36 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Awesome! Congrats!!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

My appreciation to all my well-wishers, thank you all for your kind thoughts - And on balance I will likely enroll for that Master of Research degree.

After I completed the last study unit, the head of the Japanese department emailed me offering to be my supervisor. If I accept that offer, my research project will likely be something like, 'How to get rich and hang onto your money in early Tokugawan Japan.'

And, in response to Vanderhoven 7, who said:

"Why not go for a masters in history focusing on specific areas of interest?
    College teaching positions would then open up to you to share your knowledge."

I'd love to do exactly that, but the sad truth is that I wasted my bloody life in an effort to be a footstep follower of the dead Jesus. And now, I'm too close to the end of my life to start climbing the academic ladder.

I had hoped when I started that degree to maybe teach at a community college level, but these seem to be declining due to the developments in web education in the last few years.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent... hope you have a patient wife who is willing to continue supporting your educational dreams...while putting food on the table.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Listener : I see that you did some studies on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I was wondering, since the KJV was written before these were discovered, what affect, if any they have on that version?

I'm not aware of any influence(s) that the DDS may have had on the KJV. But I can say that reading the DDS will expand your understanding of what the Jews were thinking about (interested in) in the time period in which Jesus taught.

And you may wonder, (if you read some of the DDS) whether dear brother Freddy (as the guru of the JWs) also read some of the scrolls.

The basic text used in that study unit was Geza Vermes' translation of the DDS. I'll refer to sections in that publication. The page numbers I refer to are for the Penguin Revised edition of 2004. In his introduction (p. 11) " ... we note fundamental similarities of language (e.g both in the scrolls and in the New Testament, the faithful are called 'sons of light'). Also Vermes remarks that both communities (i.e. the Qumram and the Jesus communities) considered themselves to be the true Israel, governed by twelve leaders and expected the imminent arrival of the Kingdom of God). Both communities considered their own history as a fulfillment of the words of the prophets.

Vermes does not claim that there was any direct influence between the two communities, as those similarities may have been due to the general religious atmosphere of the time.

However, Vermes thinks there are other similarities may suggest a more direct influence, for example - the monarchic administration of both communities, with single congregation leaders - overseers at Qumram and bishops in the Christian communities. and some other points. all suggesting that the early church may have modelled itself on the (by then) more experienced Essenes.

I'll try to get time to list some other points.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi FTS

I had hoped when I started that degree to maybe teach at a community college level, but these seem to be declining due to the developments in web education in the last few years.

I wouldn't give up that dream. If you can't find a teaching position in the USA you can always send your CV to colleges in Canada. My son has what he called a useless masters in English. He has now been teaching at one of Montreal's highest ranking Colleges for the past 3 years.

His buddy just got hired to teach history at another Montreal based college.

Congratulations for deciding to go for your masters. Wish you the absolute best.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Vanderhoven7: "I wouldn't give up that dream. If you can't find a teaching position in the USA you can always send your CV to colleges in Canada. My son has what he called a useless masters in English. He has now been teaching at one of Montreal's highest ranking Colleges for the past 3 years."

Thnx for being thoughtful and suggesting this solution, sadly, its a long,long way from Sydney Aust.

And thnx also for your good wishes.

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks FTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit