Kobe Bryant is dead!

by Iamallcool 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Extremely sad.

Not trying to be a racist here (I'm married to a Latina), but Kobe was an example of what many in the community should aspire to be. Not someone sticking something in your face, or some sort of jive. Rather, he was a role model, someone you would think you would like to have your son to grow up to be. Maybe the Stephan Curry sort of guy.

My wife (a Miami Heat fan) had tears in her eyes when she saw this on TV.

Rub a Dub

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

So sad. Watched him for his whole career.
    His 13 year old daughter was with him.
    I dont even know what to say.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

A life time Lakers hater! But always admire pure talent and Kobe had it! I'm 73 and have seen the great ones play but if I had to pick the guy for the final shot with the game on the line---Kobe would have been my guy!

RIP my man!

just saying!

• krismalone
    krismalone

Kobe was an inspiration and example of living a successful life as a result of hard work, passion, integrity and dreaming big.

Kobe showed that having determination and a never give up attitude reaps success and greatness. He was a great Father, Husband, teammate, son, and most importantly a human being that lived his dream and did good to many.

One of his quotes that had an impact on me was:

"I can't relate to lazy people. We don't speak the same language. I don't understand you. I don't want to understand you."

Kobe Bryant

RIP

Kobe

1978-2020

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

RIP Kobe, GiGi and the 7 others on the helicopter. My thoughts are with their families.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Incredibly tragic occurrence indeed... an amazing athlete for sure but as far as being a role model, wasn’t he charged with sexually assaulting a 19 year old hotel employee. If memory serves, he settled out of court and apologized publicly but it seems like if Joe Shmoe did that, he’d serve time and probably have a hard time ever getting a decent job again. Not the case apparently when you’re a millionaire celebrity. Case in point... M.J.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thinking of the same thing Pete.

I think the public over idolizes professional sport athletes.

Tragedy nevertheless.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    I think the public over idolizes professional sport athletes.

I think what happens in these cases is that it brings the reality of death being around the corner for anyone smack in your face.

Celebrities are like a common friend we all know, and are of course are seen as privileged and larger than life.

When something tragic happens to them, I think inside it can hit us harder knowing there is no escape from death, and something silly as a slip and fall, or as horrific as a helicopter crash can happen to anyone at anytime.

This hit me pretty hard.

After a lifetime of really believing "that I will never die", and now becoming an atheist with no belief in any afterlife, the knowledge that it's all over pretty soon, and that my past was stolen, and my future is not what it should be is sadly a daily struggle for me to cope.

My kids are everything to me.
    And even that has been adulterated by the WT.
    I would have loved to have 3 or 4 kids, not only 2.
    But we waited to do spiritual things first. (lucky my wifes clocked ticked when it did).

So instead of a big family, and having kids in my 20s and 30s, and being able to enjoy them and grandkids for a good portion of my life, I get an abridged version of that.

The cost of a cult is so high.

Sorry for my rambling, just needed to get it out.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I thought this was a great example about how Kobe touched people's lives.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28580630

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit