Going nuts....

by Vivamus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, I made it through yesterday, and that means I am ciggie free for 27 hours and 37 minutes as I type this.

I am only quitting cause of health issues, my neighbour is keeping our entire block awake at night because he is coughing his lungs out [literally, he has cancer] and with my family history I'd probably get sick too if I keep this smoking up. So thats why I quit, not becasue I think Its a teeth staining habit [:D], my teeth are a brilliant white. Tip to all smokers, use Rembrandt whitening toothpaste, gets rid of all those nicotine stains [:D]

Else, thanx for the cute picts.

Minimus, you are NOT helping.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, I made it through yesterday, which means I am ciggie free for 27 hours and 44 minutes....

I quit because of health. I have a neighbour that coughs his lungs out every morning because he has cancer, and I kinda see me being there in twenty years if I keep this smoking habit up. So thats why I quit. Btw, my teeth are a brilliant white. A tip to all smokers, use Rembrandt toothpaste, gets rid of all those little nicotine stains [:D]

Elsewhere, thanks for the cute picts.

Minimus, you are NOT helping.

Everyone, thanx for the words of encouragements.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

"I Think"

I Think ciggies are really a huge problem
    I Think lighters are too much on my mind
    I Think Peter Stuyvesant have got a lot to do with why the world sucks
    But what can you do?

Like a Red rain, beating down on me
    Like a Byron line, which won't let go of my brain
    Like Some Guy's ass, it is in my head
    Blame it on Lack of nicotine

I Think Disgusting Newports are gonna drive us all crazy
    And Camels make me feel like a child
    I Think Nicotine kisses will eventually be the downfall of civilization
    But what can you do? I said what can you do?

Like a Byron line, which won't let go of my brain
    Like Some Guy's ass, it is in my head

Like Some Guy's smile, cruel and cold
    Like Byron's ass, it is in my head

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Viv, how 'bout those new lozenges "Committ" I think they're called. Just like any other kind of throat lozenge, but this one is for smokers. Are you using anything? If so what?

I've failed every other method. The new lozenge is next for me.

Gum. Yeah. An ice-cold Heinekins, a pack of Marlborough Red, and some of that gum. LOVED IT.

Patch. Would take off the patch and go smoke. Come back and put the patch back on with Scotch tape. Had a friend who smoked with the patch on. Had two heart attacks doing that. Now he's got woman who wants him to quit.

Zyban. No effect.

Lozenge. Next on my list.

I think that being newly in love with somone who really wants you to quit and who helps you without nagging is likely to be a dynamic that will help you quit and be successful. If the lozenge is the thing, that final little bost that gets you over the edge, then I'm for it.

Now, if I could only find that dynamic.

francois

• greven
    greven

All I can say is: GOOD LUCK!

I tried it a few times but never picked it up. My only addiction is cafeïne and I'm not giving that up!

Health reasons? Yeah, as a biology student I've had the privilege to take a look at smoker lungs on a plate. That was horrible! It was a smelly, black ooze. The memory of that is a perfect antidote whenever I think of picking up smoking.

Succes!

Greven

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Francois, I am quitting cold turkey. Gawd, I feel awful. My man is not helping, he even said " Please smoke. You are a bitch otherwise and I shall cease loving you." Now, isn't that horrible? He was kidding, but still. Aaargh, why did I want to quit anyway? BTW,. Francois, did you get the package I send you with the ciggies?

Greven, thanx. :)

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hey Viv... hope you made it through...

I quit smoking recently too.. darn things are too expensive and I couldn't stand coughing anymore... not to mention the smell....

My helpful little tip for you is that everyday I make the decision not to smoke. I just refuse to give into my cravings.. Now mind you, I've had to replace the activity of smoking with something else. I can't sit for any length of time, I'm constantly up cleaning, changing things around... reading.. etc... if I keep busy, it helps me not think about having a smoke nearly as much as I would were I not active.

Chewing gum helps, as does brushing my teeth often... just lightly but enough to get the taste out of my mouth. Lots of water... drink lots of water... you'll run to the washroom so much you won't have time to smoke... lol Your body will do all sorts of things to trick you into giving in to that craving.

I've gone cold turkey and I'm at 36 days and counting. Now, if I can do it ven... so can you.... The cravings get less and less. The first three days were very difficult. It started to get easier after that. Before I knew it, it was a couple of weeks... and I was amazed.. then it's a month and over a month and now, I hardly think about smoking, but when I see one, boy, I get cravings, but I don't give in... it's a real exercise in self control. I tell myself that I refuse to be a slave to an inanimate object.

You can do it Ven... just keep making it happen... keep deciding not to give in... and if you slip up... feel very guilty, and decide your not going to excuse yourself....and get right back on the wagon...

If you need more encouragement... my email is open.... just make sure I know it's you...k...

Have a great smokefree day!

Inq :)

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I swear, I cannot do this! I NEED A CIGG, I NEED ONE... God, I'm practically weeping over my keyboard here. Okay, here's the deal, I won't smoke till tomorrow, and then if I still want it, I'll get me some ciggs. Okay, I can handle that, calmimg down already, is only till tomorrow, I can manage till tomorrow....

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

:I swear, I cannot do this! I NEED A CIGG, I NEED ONE

VIV! YOU ARE A NON-SMOKER NOW!!!! YOU HAVE QUIT SMOKING!!!! YOU DO NOT CRAVE A CIGARETTE!!!!!

Dan, who still can't format on this new board

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi Viv!

I know.. .the cravings are driving you crazy... but it will be better, tomorrow will be better and the day after that, even better than that... Remember, the worst is over... that was yesterday... today is better and tomorrow will be even better than that...

Your getting there a moment at a time.. .and pretty soon all those moments will add up...

Keep strong and don't give in... your already winning!

Inq :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit