"Smash The Old World"

by cofty 46 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

During Mao's Cultural Revolution images of the past were destroyed by the Red Guard. Temples and churches were looted and religious statues destroyed.

This image was taken by Li Zhengshen at the Jile Temple in August 1966. The sign on the wall translates as "Smash the old world".

Will the left never learn?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

no they dont seem to be, the loony liberal left seems to be like a poison sweeping the developed world.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Cofty, Are there any possible scenarios where it would be ok to remove a statue or an image from a public place?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Nazis... only Nazi shut can be removed

• Simon
    Simon
    Are there any possible scenarios where it would be ok to remove a statue or an image from a public place?

Yes, if a civilized discussion and debate happens and a democratic process is followed.

Mobs of violent extremists vandalizing things and threatening people who object is NEVER ok and cannot be excused.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Will the left never learn? - going by their current behaviour - no.

It's likely that the Left will never learn.

They're too busy fighting racists and saving the planet to care.

It's *always* somebody else's fault - usually Tories', Nazis' and Trump's.

The Left never learns and never apologises because there is a general lack of self-awareness.

Thankfully, ordinary members of the public are wising up to the cultural Marxists - I see it every time I read BTL comments in left-wing rags like Huff Post UK & The Guardian.

Ordinary people won't put up with their shit for ever.

There is hope, I think.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Local statues should be a local decision, not based on fear of a vocal minority with a hidden agenda.

• jp1692
    jp1692

It's not just "the left" and it's not just political. Mob rule and extremists of every stripe (political, religious, social, etc.) are guilty of this type of behavior everywhere and at every time throughout our history.

I've come to the sad conclusion that it's who we are as humans.

It's not all of us perhaps-maybe not you, and maybe not me--but it is the portion of us that, at least for all of recorded history, has defined what it means to be human.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

JP, I think that's true but usually that behavior has been in desperate times where urgent action is needed to correct some grave injustice. These groups are organized provocateurs with a purely political agenda.

• sir82
    sir82

It's not all of us perhaps-maybe not you, and maybe not me--but it is the portion of us that, at least for all of recorded history, has defined what it means to be human.

^ This.

It's tribalism. It has served humanity well as a survival mechanism for 99% of human history - but it is getting us into ever-increasing trouble now.

The problem isn't "left" or "right" - not really.

The problem is "how do we move past dividing ourselves up into tribes, so that we can work on benefiting all of us together?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit