Brexit Rollercoaster Grinding to a Halt

by The Fall Guy 26 Replies latest social current

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Given Putin and Trump having their little tête á tête making them disrespectfully late for a cenotaph remembrance service,has anyone thought that we are going to need a strong Europe being wedged between a disastrous collapsing America and a Russian criminal dictatorship???

They don't give a stuff about what anyone thinks or feels.

• Simon
    Simon

The EU has a history of failure and corruption and cannot continue in its current state.

The solution to the Ireland border issue is simple - leave the EU too. Now you can decide to have an open border with the UK (or not, as both countries decide) and the people arriving by boat or plane can go through a border ... as they already surely do?

Also, votes and referendums need to have a binding date as part of them. Too often EU country citizens have been given a referendum on something and then when the vote didn't go as the technocrats desired, they have another and another ... until the people are worn down enough not to bother voting and they get the result they want.

The biggest real mistake was joining the EU in the first place and allowing German control of Europe at the expense of dramatically different economies.

• Onager
    Onager

I can believe that a majority of the UK population want to leave the EU. I also believe that the majority of them are of the older generation. But the problem is that they have made that choice based on lies.

So it becomes clear that it's wrong if you consider these two scenarios:

1) Would you like to leave the EU, it'll cost us £1million and we'll get loads of money for the NHS?

2) Would you like to leave the EU, it'll cost us £32billion and we'll get ZERO money for the NHS.

1. is what people based their choice on 2. is what we realise is the actual case. (numbers made up just for representation). Therefore people who voted leave may still want to leave but not want to vote leave any more now that they know the true cost.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Just go and be done. Tell the EU to whistle for their £39 BILLION. They've done very well out of us so far. Time to move on.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    There doesn't get to be a second referendum on stay/leave simply because you've changed your mind. That's not how democracies and referendums work in the real world.

If that's case, we shouldn't have had this one, this was the second referendum.

• Simon
    Simon

The EU is like a Gym membership - you don't want to be a member anymore but they'll keep charging your credit card no matter what you try to do so you pretend you're happy going to the gym.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

PM's apparent strategy - "I've got no chance of getting this bad deal accepted by any group, so I'll stick with it and force the UK parliament to vote on it and reject it. Then I can blame others for landing the UK in a no-deal calamity." Sheesh!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

this was the second referendum - the first was the 1975 referendum on membership of the EEC, a trading bloc.

Then the EEC morphed into the EU, a political entity and wannabe empire.

The British public were owed the 2016 referendum!

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Quite right LoveUniHateExams, those referendums were on very different entities, I was being a little facecious. But likewise, II think that the reality of what we're getting now is quite different to what was put before us two years ago. And before this "deal" is imposed upon us it should not only be put before parliament, but before the rest of the country as well.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Coming from a country that was adversely affected by Britain's entry into the European Community, I find this whole matter more than a little ironic. I well recall Britain's decade-long battle to gain entry - contrasted now with the stampede to separate itself from Europe.

Yeh, orright, I know it used to be called the EEC, whereas it is now the EU. But still, I cannot but comment on the bloody irony of it all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit