Brexit Rollercoaster Grinding to a Halt

by The Fall Guy 26 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

UK Prime Minister could be out of her job within hours.

Regardless, another referendum on stay/leave looks very likely - now that people can see what the real consequences of a divorce from the EU would be.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Regardless, another referendum on stay/leave looks very likely - now that people can see what the real consequences of a divorce from the EU would be - this attempt at a Brexit deal has been handled by Theresa May - who voted Remain.

You don't think that she could either

1. deliberately sabotage Brexit by being incompetent

or

2. unconsciously make a mess of things because of her pro-Remain bias?

And here's the important thing: another referendum on stay/leave must not happen for a long time. We must leave the EU.

It is the express will of UK citizens.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I find the expression “the will of the people” interesting. If the public are given the choice between A and B, but because those presenting the cases both options are congenital liars, then what you will actually get is Y or Z. Therefore whichever the public chose from A or B is not what they’re going to get and not want they voted for. And the biggest lie of all was that £350 million one. If sufficient people voted on the basis of that lie, then the will of the people has been misled, so can it really be said that the real consequences of the UK leaving the EU represent the will of the people?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I think both sides were clueless has to how leaving would impact us all. The mess of the borders never crossed my mind and I don't even remember them being discussed let alone solved.

There was definitely no talk of food or medicine shortages that I remember but maybe I missed them and people thought not having them a small price to pay for independence...or perhaps they are part of project fear and won't happen.

I don't think either side really knows because stay or leave the EU is still calling all the shots.

I see Nigel Farage has secured German passports for his children after fighting practically his whole political career for UK to be independent from Europe. Is he now not planning on staying here now we are leaving?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If the public are given the choice between A and B, but because those presenting the cases both options are congenital liars, then what you will actually get is Y or Z - I disagree.

The voting public know that politicians from all sides habitually lie, spin and are economical with the truth. And the voters clearly want out of the EU.

Besides, if your opinion is correct, then that would mean that most if not all general elections should be regarded as invalid because of pre-election lies, spin, false manifesto promises, failing to stick to manifesto promises, etc.

The line of argument posted by you is only used by people who are disappointed with the 2016 referendum result.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I did not say, nor mean to imply, that the result of the referendum (or any election) is invalid. I merely say that the outcome is not “the will of the people” but rather, the will of the most convincing liar. And even when a politician is not lying to get your vote, a lot of things can be done afterwards that are completely at odds with a candidate’s voting supporters. What Labour Party supporter would have dreamed that a Labour Prime Minister would get into bed with a right-wing vote rigging retard and engage in an illegal war, while at the same time claiming that we can’t fund our universities? And by the way, I voted leave, but as Amelia Ashton said, the impact on Ireland didn’t cross my mind, and I didn’t hear anybody warn of the rest of the crap that would happen. On reflection, I have changed my mind, and if given another chance I would vote remain.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    see Nigel Farage has secured German passports for his children after fighting practically his whole political career for UK to be independent from Europe. Is he now not planning on staying here now we are leaving?

Well now that says it all!!!!

I'm so really, desperately sad for my children if we leave.

I remember what it was like being young just before things got better...and the relief was incredible.

I used have to queue up at Calais to go to French hyper markets to get many of the ingredients I'd use in my cooking.

Some you could get at Fortnum and masons though very expensive.

It was wonderful to have the freedom to travel and visit clubs but mostly not to worry if you had a French boyfriend or girlfriend, like I did at the time!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

but as Amelia Ashton said, the impact on Ireland didn’t cross my mind - any impact on Ireland hasn't happened yet. That may or may not happen in the future.

It is a fear of some Remainers but it's not reality.

On reflection, I have changed my mind, and if given another chance I would vote remain - so what?

What about the people who voted Leave and haven't changed their mind?

There doesn't get to be a second referendum on stay/leave simply because you've changed your mind.

That's not how democracies and referendums work in the real world.

In the real world you're free to choose but then you must take responsibility for your choices.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Unfortunately, the majority of those who vote LEAVE are the older generation - the very ones who'll be dead in a few decades leaving my generation and that of my children living in the mess they voted for.

Leaving the EU is a step backward in my opinion. Stupidest idea I've heard outside of a Watchtower.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

the majority of those who vote LEAVE are the older generation - the very ones who'll be dead in a few decades leaving my generation and that of my children living in the mess they voted for - but what about young people who voted Leave?

Don't you care about them?

More importantly, don't you care about democracy? The chance for people to express their opinion, vote, and then our government carrying out the voters' will?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit