Can't shake the feeling the end is near, help me

by m0nk3y 34 Replies latest jw friends

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

People have always believed the sky is about to fall. When Russell first started his little group it was because as the end of the 19 th century approached there were many that believed the end was imminent. Armageddon was coming and the faithful would be raised into heaven. My father-in-law belongs to a group that more or less believed that they were going to be caught up and taken to heaven before 2000 and those left on earth were going to perish. They still believe it, just think it's been delayed.

Rest assured many who lived through WW1 and WW2 when bombers flew over their cities and Europe was in ruins believed it was the end.

The JWs have always believed the sky was falling. Without getting into dates, think about pretty recent history the cold war when JWs believed it was going to end tomorrow, nuclear or the Peace and Security stage when JWs believed destruction of the system and World Peace was for yesterday. And maybe this will reassure you: some JWs believed the FLQ terrorist crisis in Quebec, Canada that brought the army into the city of Montreal, was the beginning of the end. Guess what, aside from those who died from natural causes and accidents, everyone's still around.

Edited by - wheelwithinwheel on 12 February 2003 8:12:29

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Josh and welcome aboard, old son! It's good to have yet another aussie join this happy band!

Part of me realises that its all a bunch of crap and there is no end coming ...........But then theres the part of my head that say "what if it all is going to happen ? what if armageddon is coming ?

Josh, the end or Armageddon IS coming. There's nothing you nor I can do anything about it. BUT what we believe is going to happen may be very different to what the Borg teaches.

The Bible speaks of Jesus' second coming "upon the clouds". Sounds good to me.

The Borg teaches destruction. Doesn't seem so good, eh?

I prefer to wait upon what the Bible teaches. Be of good heart.\

Cheers, Ozzie

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

The end will come, but not as the Watchtower teaches. If you read the bible you won't be in fear of it but look forward to it. Jesus Christ is coming again and all those who believe in him have nothing to fear!

• Celia
    Celia

This may not be a good idea, considering that you fear the end is coming.... but I received a newsletter yesterday, called : Power of Prophecy, published by a nut called Texe Marrsfrom Austin, Texas. Listen to the first paragraph :

A catastrophe ominously looms on the horizon. Planet X, a huge planetary body, or star, is headed our way. Described as a great "Red Star", the path of this approaching heavenly object puts it on a potential, head-to-head collision course with our planet Earth..... Doomsayers are predicting the marauding planet's elliptical orbit will bring it near to the earth by this spring or summer..... Planet X will smash into, or blindside the Earth soon, within the next few months, causing untold chaos, with the Earth literally tilting on its axis, The ensuing upheaval will spawn horrific hurricanes and unparalleled tornadoes, floods and volcanic blowouts...

Edited by - Celia on 12 February 2003 8:37:23

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Astronomers now believe the universe is 13.7 billion years old (If I heard right). So even if the WT and a lot of other people believe the end is around the corner, the chances that God has planned to intervene in your lifetime (less than 100 years) are practically non-existent. However, keep in mind that crazy humans could do something stupid.... but in that case we'll all be toast.

• Iron Eagle
    Iron Eagle

Do not dread the time of the end.

Jesus taught us never to let our guard down regarding his presence, so the best way to be is always alert.

No need to be nervous though. Just accept our Lord Jesus as your saviour and do the things he asks of you and you will be ok. You dont need to be a Witness ; just do the maths ; do you really think that a loving creator will wipe out everybody who isnt a JW from the face of the earth? What about all the other real caring, loving people there are in the world today ? Do you think he'll destroy them just because they dont follow a bunch of tired dirty old men sitting around a table in Brooklyn who poke their noses into the lives of millions of people, even the most intimate details of their lives ?!?! I dont think so .

The JW's try to make the bible look stupid. They make use of the scripture ' This good news of the kingdom shall be preached in all the inhabited earth, and then the end will come ' ( Matthew 24:14 ) to try and scare people into thinking that If they dont listen to their message you will die at the coming battle of God.

If a witness does try this tactic on you , ask how the good news is being preached in India, or China where there is a very small ratio of Witnesses to actual people living in these countries. If we are so close because of the witnessing activity, God must really like the Indians or Chineese because he's going to have a lot living in his new society !

Dont live your life worrying about the end of days. Just live it how Jesus and his father ask of you. Its up to you to make it be, I guess I'll see you when you see me.

• metatron
    metatron

The End? Bullsh*t!

These events are leading straight to world peace. The Middle East will be pacified,
    North Korea will starve to death, Europe won't fight anybody (or even field an army),
    and China will sit things out, waiting to become the next superpower.

READ 2 TIMOTHY chapter3 in its full context AND REALIZE that Paul was speaking about
    his own time - and problems in the congregations back then. Nothing's changed that
    way - the End is ALWAYS threatened.

metatron

• onacruse
    onacruse

The "end" I think about now, and that has by far the highest demonstrable probablility of expectation in my lifetime, is my own physical death. Tens of billions of people have experienced physical death. No one has experienced Armageddon. I can see with my own eyes what happens to people as they approach physical death. I have no clue what happens to people as they approach Armageddon.

I've removed myself from the fantasy "on-the-edge-of-my-seat-waiting-for-Armageddon" life, and choose to live in the real "I'm-getting-old-and-better-(finally)-make-plans-for-my-old-age" life.

fwiw, I think this is a paradigm that a lot of current JWs are going through, making them more "lurkers" in the WTS than "likers" of it.

Craig

• jgnat
    jgnat

I used to worry about the end. A dream cured me. Now I live every day with gusto. It is so great to be alive today. I wrote the story down here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38029&site=3

I hope it is not too creepy for you. Let me know what you think, monkey.

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. (Luke 9:24 NIV)
  • minimus
    minimus

Don't worry. We have to have peace and security, THEN sudden destruction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit