Friday crucifixion?

by rstrats 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

rstrats;

Since the Messiah said that he would be in the tomb for three days AND three nights, any time period shorter than that would mean that he didnt know what he was talking about. I should think that might raise a question regarding his "teachings".

Er, so, if the words on paper don't agree with other words on paper, even if he was raised from the dead, according to the words on paper, it wouldn't mean anything because some of the words didn't agree with others?

What I'm getting at, is that bar any internal proof you have that cannot be verified or experienced by others, there is no proof it happend.

Yet despite this rather important and glaring fact, you can get excited by a subordinate issue of consistancy.

Great if it makes you happy, and I'm glad you have the freedom, but the whole discussion ignores too much in the way or prior considerations to be appealing to me.

edited for typos

Edited by - Abaddon on 13 February 2003 5:27:7

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

rstrats...Mrk 15:42 seems to clearly identify the "Preparation" as "the day before the Sabbath." So you have seen a discrepency between verses now what? I thank you though for reminding me of this issue, I remember bringing it up at the book study the first time we went through the greatsest man book. Dispite my defence of the Bible from the Insight Vol. my research was greated with stares and grimmaces, students are viewed suspiciously. So your right, my first comment should have not insisted that The Bible asserts that he was hung on Friday, it does but other verses appear to differ.. The Church fathers and modern theologians seem to have opted for Friday as this is the obvious intention of the editor of the Gospels diectly after the council of Nicea. However the necessity of a three day motif surely is evident in both versions of the story coexisting in these tales. That this caused a minor difficulty with this story not perfectly matching the legend of Jonah was not recognised or perhaps the value of the "prophetic" resemblece was seen as of greater importance than textural harmony. Who knows? It's hash.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 13 February 2003 10:52:44

• rstrats
    rstrats

re: "So you have seen a discrepency between verses now what?"

I never said I see a discrepancy between verses. What do you have in mind?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I thought the book of john clearly states that he died on a different day then what the other gospels stated?

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Off topic but... 15 years for a reply??

Is that a record?

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Even if Jesus was real and he was crucified on a Friday, so what ? Has it proved any thing beneficial to mankind. NOPE.

• rstrats
    rstrats

EverApostate,
    re: "Even if Jesus was real and he was crucified on a Friday, so what ?"

• rstrats
    rstrats

EverApostate,
    re: "Even if Jesus was real and he was crucified on a Friday, so what ?"

The 'what' would be that His authority could be questioned since He wasn't in the "heart of the earth" for the length of time that He said He would be.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yeah if he wasn’t in the earth 3 days then he would be fulfilling the role of a dying and rising god like Inanna, Osiris and others.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    The 'what' would be that His authority could be questioned since He wasn't in the "heart of the earth" for the length of time that He said He would be.

Don't mean to be facetious, particularly as I'm absolutely the least erudite person when it comes to this subject, but it's just occurred to me - Jesus was never in the heart of the Earth (earth?), since he was never buried.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit