Friday crucifixion?

by rstrats 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    Friday crucifixion?

Sorry, I'm busy; Valentine's dinner out with my Dutchess. Besides, hanging people off trees isn't my thing.

It does seem a pretty dumb way of proving you're the son of god if all there is to prove it is a handful of allegedly eye-witness accounts that differ in detail, and that we have no proof of being contemperaneous to the alleged events in any case.

There's the rather troubling (for those determining reliability of those accounts) that some events (like the dead coming alive and preaching after Jesus died) have no contemporary mentions.

Why didn't Jesus come now? One TV Special with attendant scientists and reporters (plus tree and nails) would do to convince many sceptics; this time it would be Stephen Hawking saying;

"Truly I say to you, this is the Son of God, based on his ability to reanimate his body three days after brain death when he'd actually started to smell a bit".

Then you'd have David Blaine try and beat the record ("I'm practising dying, at the moment I'm up to half an hour with only minimal bra... what did you ask me?"), and James Randi showing you how it was done with a ring and a party balloon.

The great thing is, you're free to believe what you want. I cannot get past the rather big important issues regarding belief in god, Jesus or the Bible (let alone other religions) to discuss what day someone who may have existed may have died.

Let's assume it's all true. And him dying on a Thursday instead of a Friday makes what difference to his teachings? Pin, angels, dancing?

Have fun thought!

• Loris
    Loris

There are a lot of free Christians on this board. What I mean is that I am free of any organizational constraints. I am free to serve and worship the Creator of the universe the Father of us all, Jehovah, Yahweh, _____(insert name of your choice) and His son, Jesus the creator of mankind. I can study the Bible or any other reference book with complete freedom. I am free of all doctrines and dogmas propounded by narrow minded people or those who are following blindly doctrines that are believed simply because they have been in vogue for centuries. I am FREE! WooHoo!

• gumby
    gumby

Peacefulpete,

You know what really gripes my ass in a big way? It is when a post such as your is totally ignored by chickenshit people who don't have the guts to check it out.They believe what they want even though there is proof to denounce what they believe. Are people REALLY searching for truth?

Gumby

• rstrats
    rstrats

Yerusalyim,

Since Luke 24:21 is clear that the crucifixion couldnt have occurred on Friday, the preparation day and Sabbath being mentioned in your comment must refer to days other than Friday and Saturday. John 19:31 identifies the preparation day in question as the day before a "high day" Sabbath, which in this case was the first day of the feast of the Passover. That the term "preparation day " did not always have to mean the day before the 7 th day Sabbath is attested to by Rabbi Samuel Lacks who states: "The day of preparation (Greek paraskeue) equals Friday OR the day before a holiday" - [A Rabbinic Commentary of the New Testament]. Therefore, the preparation day mentioned in your references did not have to be referring to a Friday.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Abaddon,

re: "Let's assume it's all true. And him dying on a Thursday instead of a Friday makes what difference to his teachings?"

Since the Messiah said that he would be in the tomb for three days AND three nights, any time period shorter than that would mean that he didnt know what he was talking about. I should think that might raise a question regarding his "teachings".

Edited by - rstrats on 12 February 2003 14:11:31

• rstrats
    rstrats

peacefulpete,

re: "The Bible says Jesus died on Friday..."

Could you please provide some scripture that incontestably states that the Messiah died of a Friday.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm sure by your question that you are already aware of the scriptures used to conclude that Jesus died on Fiday and raised Sunday. If not lok it up in the Insight volumes or something. This matter has been settled by the church since it's inception. It also has been argued for centuries that some verses seem to contradict this. This is not surprising to someone like me who sees the Bible as the product of multiple editors. My statement means that this is the standard interpretation of the scriptures. It is possible that this represents another example of pagan syncretism not at first universally accepted by the time the final drafts of these books were put down in writing. I have no desire to rehash hash.

• rstrats
    rstrats

peacefulpete,

re: "I have no desire to rehash hash."

I didnt ask you to. You made the flat out pronouncement that "The Bible says Jesus died on Friday...". Since I dont know where the Bible says that, I merely asked you to reference the incontestable scripture that you used to make that statement. You apparently do not have any, but instead are simply taking the word of someone else. Thats fine, but you probably shouldnt be making statements that the Bible says something when you dont KNOW that it does.

• gumby
    gumby

Good Friday

Definition and etymology. Good Friday, called Feria VI in Parasceve in the Roman Missal, he hagia kai megale paraskeue (the Holy and Great Friday) in the Greek Liturgy, Holy Friday in Romance Languages, Charfreitag (Sorrowful Friday) in German, is the English designation of Friday in Holy Week -- that is, the Friday on which the Church keeps the anniversary of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Parasceve, the Latin equivalent of paraskeue, preparation (i.e. the preparation that was made on the sixth day for the Sabbath; see Mark, xv, 42), came by metonymy to signify the day on which the preparation was made; but while the Greeks retained this use of the word as applied to every Friday, the Latins confined its application to one Friday. Irenaeus and Tertullian speak of Good Friday as the day of the Pasch; but later writers distinguish between the Pascha staurosimon (the passage to death), and the Pascha anastasimon (the passage to life, i.e. the Resurrection). At present the word Pasch is used exclusively in the latter sense. The two Paschs are the oldest feasts in the calendar.

From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ's death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If you are a JW or former one and still have Greatest Man book check it out and you will find the expanation you seek. Yerusalium had opened this discussion with the reasoning on Luke's statement that explains why it is not in disagreement with the other passages that establish that a sabbath was upon them at nightfall the day of the crucifiction. I don't have the desire to research the matter for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit