Climbing the Walls

by Sargon 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sargon
    Sargon

I've been planning this for 4 months, well sort of. The planning took 5 minutes the procrastination has taken up the rest of the time. After 26 years of indulging, I've finally tried to quit smoking. I had my last smoke saturday when I went to bed. Yesterday wasn't toooo bad, but today I'd kill for a butt. It seems that everything I do makes me think of smoking, I've got to think of something to get my mind off this... any suggestions.

• riz
    riz

change your profile picture

good luck, Sargon!

• LB
    LB

If you're in the house when the urge strikes quickly go brush your teeth. No one lights up right after doing that. Also keep physical. Go for a walk around the block, wash your car, ride a bike. Keep your body moving. Get those lungs and heart working.

Don't drink any alcohal. Don't sit around watching the tube. After a meal get up and get busy.

Good luck

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Thats great! I've been told by ex-smokers that if you can make it the first 3-5 days without a smoke, you got it made.Follow LB's advice.If you do slip up and have a smoke don't give up.Don't beat yourself up over it.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

LB is right, no alcohal !! When I was quitting, on beer was enough to give me that "I don't give a damn attitude." Bug

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Pray more, study the Watchtower more, go out in field service more and attend more meetings... also make an effort to comment more at the meetings.

If that doesn't help you, then you will be DFed in 30 days.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Thanks Elsewhere, i don't know why that didn't occur to me

Good advice LB, I know I can't have a beer for a while either... smokes and beer go hand in hand. The morning coffee is also killer. I'll try the brushing teeth thing next time I get a major urge. I'm not a big fan of gum or candies, so I don't have those to lean on. I hope I make the 3-5 day thing Lucy, I hear that the third day can be the worst.

Still trying, 40 hours now.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

I quit this year also. I couldn't quit cold turkey though. I had to cut back, one in the morning, noon, at night, like that. I finally put them down all together. I think everyone is different and everyone has to do it in a way that works for them. The important thing is *to do it*! Hope you quit. You'll be glad you did. I am! Good luck!

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

elsewhere ; i never thought of it ,, i should become a jw that will give me 6 months ..... to die.... it might work ..... if the cig's don't kill me in 6 months .... the state will give me the electric chair for killing them.... you had me rolling.... thank you.... i can't stop smoking either ,, and the web makes me puff more..... john

• Scully
    Scully

Hey Sargon

What does it cost for a pack these days?? $6-$7?? (I have no idea how much, that's why I asked) Try putting a quarter in a jar for every time you resist the impulse to have a cigarette, in addition to keeping physically and mentally active. If you've been going through a pack a day, you'll see how quickly the change adds up. Have a goal (reward) in mind for something you want to save all that money for... like a new DVD player or a leather jacket or something along those lines.

Also think about picking up some sugarless candies - you can buy them in bulk at places like Bulk Barn - and have them handy for when the urge to put a cigarette in your mouth is overwhelming. Sometimes the smell of tobacco can linger in your surroundings - in your car, in your home, in your clothes - so try to get the aroma out so that it doesn't trigger cravings for you.

Good luck!

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 10 February 2003 19:52:38

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit