Need some info on Pistols

by jelly 32 Replies latest jw friends

• jelly
    jelly

I am thinking of getting a pistol and I am not sure of what kind to get. I went to an indoor range today and tried out a glock .45 (the smaller model) and a heavier .45. I found the glock rested well in my hand but I could shoot much more accurately with the heavier (and longer barreled) pistol. Any way, I am looking for a home protection / target practice pistol and would like any input on what caliber to get.

The 45 caliper has expensive ammo for target shooting but the best stopping power, at least thats what I was told. Next week I am going to try shooting a heavier glock .45 as well as a .40 cal. pistol to see how that feels. Does anyone have any input on the 9mm. People say that they dont have enough stopping power but are real easy to shoot and good for target shooting. I have trouble imagining anyone getting shot with a 9mm still being much of a problem but I might be wrong.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Terry

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Jelly, best pistols I know of:

THE SEX PISTOLS

• Pepper
    Pepper

A 9MM is very fast, whereas a 45 is not as fast but it can be compared to being hit with a cheery or potato. You could break up the block of a car engine with a 45 ACP a 9MM not as likely.

Personally I would get a Colt 45 that is what they used in the both wars, and yes keep the longer one. Pepper

• Robdar
    Robdar

I like a 9mm or .38. Either one will kill somebody. I can't imagine that a criminal would get very far if shot with either one.

You could break up the block of a car engine with a 45 ACP a 9MM not as likely

LOL....Good Lord, Pepper! Why would you want to do that?!

Robyn--of the getting low on remaining posts class

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 4:54:46

Edited by - robdar on 10 February 2003 5:0:58

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

jelly,

For home defense why go to the larger caliber? And a revolver is genarally more accurate than an automatic. How many shots does one need anyway to stop an intruder? The idea should be to just stop them not shoot them and any gun should do that. They make a pistol that shoots number 10 shotgun shells which will stop most anyone and not go through walls like a 9MM or 45. And the mere sight of it would scare anyone to death. You may want to consider it instead.

Joseph

Edited by - JosephMalik on 10 February 2003 5:1:40

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

9mm have nice large magazines. 13 in the Browning HP which is something of a classic, if uninspiring.

Bigger bangs or more bangs? But I'm just talking theory here...!

• greven
    greven

I would suggest 9mm 'woodcutter' rounds. Woodcutters are for target practice and easy to aquire and not to mention cheap. And they have formidable stopping power. Besides that, a Glock 17 has a clip of 17 9mm rounds so missing doesn't matter much. I would, for home protection not use any of the lager calibers .40/45/357/44 as they are harder to control due to large recoil. They are more imppressive however. Try out a few.

Abaddon, do you know anything about the regulation in Holland? It is much harder to get hold of a piece than in America, I assume.

Greven.

Edited by - greven on 10 February 2003 7:20:49

• david_10
    david_10

Hey Jelly. Are you sure that you even need a gun. I know that I haven't been invited to give this opinion, (and I'm probably going to get flamed for it), but it is my opinion that guns cause a lot more problems than they solve.

Are you really sure that you need a gun?

David

(PS......Hope the weight loss program is going good.)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm partial to the 9MM. If you can get a hold of a retooled Beretta with the heavier reciever you'd be doing well. However, a revolver is more trustworthy as far as that goes. With a double action revolver you don't have to worry about that embarassing moment that you're pointing your weapon at the intruder and the magazine falls out! A revolver is less likely to jam on feeding too.

A shot gun loaded with bird shot is an excellent home protection weapon as well, and less lethal. then again, dead men don't file law suits against the people who shot them. If you go the shotgun route a 410 is safe, reliable, and easy to handle.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I had this conversation with a pawn shop owner. His recommendation was the shotgun route. Namely, if you ever have to shoot at an intruder, your adrenaline level is likely to be at an extreme and you're going to be very nervous or shaking some. The shotgun having a wide pattern will make it more likely you're going to hit or stop an intruder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit