No Soliciting signage and JW Policy

by Oubliette 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Sparrow down and Rebelfighter, your comments work for individuals.

My situation is for a condominium complex of over 250 homes; it's also private property unlike the sidewalks leading up to most homes JWs frequent.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I ask because yesterday and buttheaded JW (that obviously had no idea who I am or my past) was knocking on doors in our condo complex. He would have had to drive past a sign which clearly states "No Solicitation or Material Distribution.".....Oubliette

I`ve never known ANY JW to respect a "No Soliciting Sign"..... EVER..

......I`ve Got a New "JW.ORG. Business Card..

...........................I`M IMPORTANT!!..

...........http://www.delsquacho.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/door-to-door.jpg

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Funny as always Outlaw, and so true.

This particular JW didn't flash a bizcard, but he was sporting his shiny, new blue JW.ORG button.

What a joke!

• JeffT
    JeffT

A friend of mine, who lives in Alaska, has a sign at the front of his property that reads:

"No Trespassing.

Violators will be shot.

Survivors will be shot again."

He says no one has been to the house uninvited since he put it up.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    JeffT, that's funny, but again inappropriate for a HOA and not particulary applicable to the situation I posted in the OP.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

http://cultprevention.blogspot.com/2014/02/free-letter-template-stop-jehovahs.html

Laws about trespassing and solicitation on private property vary by municipality, but there's a letter template if you need one. You'll have to incorporate your own legal requirements.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Just put up a sign saying:

Jehovah's Witnesses, we are considered demonized apostates by your organization and would love to talk to you.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Thanks Rebel.

VI, that might work for an individual. I'm in an HOA that already has posted notices stating "No Solicitation."

• talesin
    talesin

I recall being told the same as someone else above; that we weren't soliciting. The technicalities in terms may differ from place to place (legally), not sure.

At my old flat, I had cut out the headline part of the Watchtower (TM) magazine, drawn a red line through it, and taped it to my mailbox with the words "No soliciting or Jehovah's Witnesses". Specific. And I knew there would be a conversation in the car later (who lives in THAT house?) : P

Edit: Of course, I'm sure you are correct that was an eon ago! We didn't even know what gated communities were back then. xx

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

2014-11-06-E-Ca_BOE--Procedures_when_legal_issues_are_involved PDF

WITNESSING DIFFICULTIES

29. Courtesy telephone notifications before working in the door-to-door ministry:
    Prior to engaging in the public ministry, publishers (1) should not obtain a permit or register with police or municipal officials; (2) should not physically go to any police station or government office; and (3) should not provide the police or municipal officials, whether in person, by fax, or by mail, any papers, forms, lists, or other documents. Of course, if your congregation has received previous direction from the Legal Department regarding courtesy telephone notifications, you should continue to abide by that direction.

30. In the event that a publisher is stopped by the police while engaged in the door-to-door ministry and is directed to obtain a permit, to provide prior notification in person or by telephone to police or any other municipal official, or to respond to demands for any other information, the publisher should not get involved in a discussion of his legal rights in an attempt to resolve the matter. Rather, he should promptly and politely leave the territory if directed to do so. (Rom. 12:18) The publisher should then inform the body of elders of any such incident. Thereafter, please immediately contact the Legal Department for further direction rather than trying to resolve the matter on your own.

31. “No Trespassing” signs at individual dwellings: It may be that when a “No Trespassing” sign is posted, the intent of the sign is to prevent people from wandering about on the homeowner’s property. However, he may not have an objection to someone coming straight to his door. Nevertheless, as a general rule, householders have a right to privacy and the right to prohibit anyone, including publishers, from entering their property by posting a “No Trespassing” sign. Publishers need to be aware of the possible consequences of ignoring a “No Trespassing” sign. If publishers call at a home or enter the grounds around a home where a “No Trespassing” sign is posted, they may be subject to prosecution under provincial or territorial trespass to property legislation and receive a monetary fine. To be prosecuted for such conduct is a real possibility and a serious matter. In addition, we are living in litigious times. Publishers ignoring a posted directive to stay away may also face civil liability if sued by an irate householder. (Matt. 10:16) Publishers should keep in mind that if they decide not to go to a particular door because of a posted “No Trespassing” sign, other means of contacting the homeowner are available, such as telephone witnessing and letter writing.—km 1/10 pp. 4-6; km 5/02 p. 7.

32. “No Trespassing” signs in communities and apartment complexes: It is important to note that a “No Trespassing” sign posted on a home may be viewed differently from a “No Trespassing” sign placed on a public street or at the entrance to a community or apartment complex. With that in mind, we have no legal objection to publishers preaching in subdivisions and apartment complexes in which they have not experienced difficulties with the authorities or the management, even if there is a sign posted at the entrance.

33. If you experience difficulties with the management of any subdivision or apartment complex, immediately comply with any demands to leave the territory and then write to the Legal Department providing the name and address of the subdivision or apartment complex, the name of the on-site manager (if applicable), a description of the difficulty, and the date(s) of the incident(s). On the other hand, if a resident of a subdivision or apartment complex, rather than the management, applies a posted sign to our ministry or insists that we cannot preach in the complex, you may wish to mark the individual as a do-not-call and return to preach at another time.

34. “No Soliciting,” “No Peddling,” or “No Canvassing” signs: “No Trespassing” signs are different from signs such as “No Soliciting,” “No Peddling,” or “No Canvassing.” If a municipality endeavors to enforce the application of such signs to our preaching activity, please contact the Legal Department. However, if a householder at any time informs a publisher that such a sign posted on his property applies to our ministry, the publisher should assure the householder that his wishes will be honored.

35. “Do-not-calls”: If a householder insists that no further visits be made by Jehovah’s Witnesses, a dated note should be placed in the territory envelope so that publishers working the territory in the future do not call at that address. Such direction would apply whether or not the householder has posted a sign indicating his wishes. Under the direction of the service overseer, elders should be assigned to visit these homes every two years. It could be explained that we are calling to inquire if the same householder still lives there. If there is a reasonable response, future calls can be made in the usual way. If the householder continues to insist that no further visits be made by Jehovah’s Witnesses, no further visits should be made until two years pass. The local body of elders can decide if the circumstances in a particular case make it advisable to handle things differently.

36. Elders bear a heavy responsibility in ministering to the needs of the Christian congregation while observing confidentiality and complying with Caesar’s laws. (Rom. 13:1-4) We trust that the information in this letter will help you carry out this responsibility. Please be assured of our love and prayers, and may Jehovah continue to bless you as you shepherd his flock.—1 Pet. 5:1-3.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit