If Time were running in reverse would we know it?

by D wiltshire 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Pete,

Any links to where you got this information? I would like to stay up to date on findinngs of this nature.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I also would like to learn more but was lazy and so was hoping you would do the leg work for me to refute my comment. It was on NPR this morning.(3 minute summery of conclusions with interviews of once skeptical astrophysicist) Sorry I will later tonight search "w-map satellite" and see what comes up. I may be even spelling it wrong as I heard the name not read it.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Pete,

Here's a link that may be discussing what you heard about (hot) dark matter.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/missing_matter_030212.html

It uses words like "seems" .

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The article you provided a link to offered some gackground for this project but it was 2 years old and did not have the findings released yesterday. I expect some big stories in science magazines next month.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 13 February 2003 12:11:13

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

PRINT EDITION
    Satellite data reveal universe's Big Bang birth date
    BySTEPHEN STRAUSS

Wednesday, February 12, 2003 PageA13
    A satellite barely the size of a minivan has stared at radio waves emitted by the earliest universe and produced a picture of cosmic evolution that is astounding astronomers with its precision.
    Operating at a distance of 1.6 million kilometres from earth, data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anistropy Probe indicate that the universe is 13.7 billion years old. If not exactly 13.7 billion, then that age plus or minus 1 per cent.
    It tells us that stars were first formed 200 million years after the Big Bang and not 500 million years as previously thought.
    The universe is made up of 4 per cent atoms, 23 per cent cold dark matter and 73 per cent a mysterious substance called dark energy.
    The supposition that the universe experienced a huge expansion in the first few moments of its existence is now not a theory but a fact. And with WMAP data, astronomers are well on their way to determining which of a number of explanations of that expansion is correct.
    Finally, the universe will expand forever and will not fall in upon itself in what has sometimes been termed the Big Crunch.
    The exactitude with which the new results fit with previous findings is seen as a eureka moment by astronomers.
    "Every astronomer will remember when they first heard the results from WMAP," Dr. John Bahcall, professor of natural sciences at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J., told a NASA press conference yesterday in Washington, D.C.
    He added that the new data marked a "rite of passage from speculation to precision science."
    The precision was arrived at by running WMAP's extremely accurate temperature readings of hot microwave radiation through hundreds of thousands of computer simulations that model cooling. These eventually coalesced into a coherent picture that both accounted for how the universe would have evolved to look like it does today and gave a 380,000-year date to when the radiation first appeared.
    The scientists then worked back from the 380,000 figure using models that would explain how long it would have taken for the microwave radiation to have come into being.
    This produced, among other things, the universe's age.
    The physicists involved stressed that their data are impressive not only because the simulations work, but because their model accurately fits with a whole host of independent age and evolution measures.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Pete,

That's a very interesting article, they make some astonding claims.

It will be intresting to here what the rest of the scientific comunity has to say about this extaordinary claim. Seems a little to hard to believe but let see what happens.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Does anyone know when the law of cause and effect may have come into existence? And if so, what was the cause?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

rs,

The law of cause and effect, is just taken as a given, it is not something that can be explained as why it exist at present.

The fact that the universe has logical laws baffles many physicist for there is no appearent reason for such order. Some think this order may have a supernatural origin.

• starScream
    starScream

bikerchic,

The purpose of physicists is to baffle everybody with their jargon thinking that it will make them sound intelligent.

you are so right.

but, I would have to agree with the latest model of a Universe in Accelerating Expansion. I think it has been conclusively proven.

I don't think that anti-gravity in 'dark energy' is a likely theory though, at least not as a remnant of the big-bang or dead stars. there is a lot of empty space beyond the galaxies, perhaps an infinite amount. If space has any properties beyond its dimensions I wouldn't be surprised if that were the reason for the accelerating force. If anti gravity existed within the galaxies on that vast of a scale then they would simply fly to pieces. I think there could be an anti gravity source at the center of the universe but more likely I think that space itself is expanding and pulling the galaxies with it, or that space itself has gravitational properties and the infinite amount beyond the galaxies is drawing them out to the void.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Nice article peaceful, thanks for posting it.

It's simple. Time is just something to stop everything happening at once. As it is patently impossible for a certain spatial coordinate to have more than one thing in it, time is vital. Think of it as a filing system for matter and energy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit