If Time were running in reverse would we know it?

by D wiltshire 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Huh?

Hill ( still struggles with the idea that in algebra you add to subtract and subtract to add class)

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Elsewhere is correct of course, the essential physics that would cause the slow down and subsequent retreat (gravity,entrophy,inertia,etc) are still at work thoughout this process and therefore this change of direction is merely another natural expression of Newtonian physics. For this reason no temporal reversal ought to be expected. My point was that since this will never happen in light of new observations it is an acedemic question.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Else,

You're over complicating this with too much Star Trek mentality... time is just an abstract idea assigned to the passage of events, nothing more.

I think you have over simplified time. Perhaps you have not heard of Eintein? Time is deffinately not just an abstract idea, it is real and it can be manipulated (slowed, stopped,). You should not make such dogmatic statements with scant understanding of the subject.

Physicist still do not yet comprehend exactly what time is, Einstien started to give us a better picture of what it is, but far from complete. Quantum theory does shed a little more light on it but we are still in the dark. And the String theory promises to perhaps enlighten us even more about the "nature" of time.

On,

Also, "time" as such is rather like Coriolis and centrifugal forces: a fictitious perceptual anomaly of the Riemannian tensor manifold that best describes the geometric nature of our universe, as best we can determine for now.

This can be a very complicated subject, that is very speculative in nature. I think the phrase "best we can determine for now" to be very appropriate. As I mentioned that some have proposed the idea of time running backwards in the "big crunch" which I think Stephen Hawkins seems to favor, I may be wrong but I think he does or did at one time.

The whole concept of time reversal is highly speculative, since we don't yet understand deeply what time really is or what forces cause it.

My interest is though if time is running backwards how would we know? Of coarse this is a specultion. But if it was I don't think we would know.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Wiltshire...did I make any sense? Are you aware that the model no longer postulates a collapsing universe? The fate of our universe appears to be an ever increasing rate of expansion accompanied by a corresponding entrophy of matter until a near static state of subatomic particles is spread throughout space. What follows is the question of the day. Do subatomic fluctuactions once again spark atomic interaction and self reorganization retriggering a big bang? I have recently heard that a heat death as I have described is being challenged based on some of the more exotic quantum physics, but I don't know enough of the hypothesis. Is there something you can add so I understand why the scenario I painted is wrong? Things change so quickly in theoretical physics. Thanks this was a fun thread.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 8 February 2003 19:46:38

Edited by - peacefulpete on 8 February 2003 19:58:59

• Realist
    Realist

onacruse,

you are not really a theoretical physicist are you???

• onacruse
    onacruse

Realist, I hope I never gave anyone the impression that I'm a theoretical physicist! I'm just a little old construction worker who likes to ponder the mysteries of the universe.

Craig

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Pete,

Wiltshire...did I make any sense? Are you aware that the model no longer postulates a collapsing universe?

Yes I'm aware that the study of supernovas by means of powerful telescopes and computer software has shown that the universe seem to be in an increasing rate of expansion, and the thoughts of a "run away universe" but I don't think it is considered conclusive. The information on I have read on this maybe out dated, and thay may have more evidence. From what I've read it is still speculative.

The fate of our universe appears to be an ever increasing rate of expansion accompanied by a corresponding entrophy of matter until a near static state of subatomic particles is spread throughout space. What follows is the question of the day. Do subatomic fluctuactions once again spark atomic interaction and self reorganization retriggering a big bang? I have recently heard that a heat death as I have described is being challenged based on some of the more exotic quantum physics, but I don't know enough of the hypothesis. Is there something you can add so I understand why the scenario I painted is wrong? Things change so quickly in theoretical physics. Thanks this was a fun thread.

Yes I have heard similar but I don't think there is agreement by the majority on this it still seem to be spilt as to the final out come , Run away Universe and eventual heat death, or the Big Crunch.

Everything at this point if you ask me is subject to change with more experiments and more understanding of what "dark matter" is and how dark matter there is.

I personally think the Universe is evolving to a higher state.

Getting back to my original question to the "highly speculative" theorys of reversed time. If time was reverse would we be able to tell? or would everything seem exactly as it does when time goes from past to future?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Not much would be different in the effect and cause universe. Creationists would still be waiting for evidence of God to appear.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Pete,

The observance that the universe's expansion is accelerating not slowing has lead to the discovery of antigravity.

I think that they speculate that there might be such a thing as antigravity.

Einstein made up a"cosmological constant"(antigravity) in his general theory to make the Universe static as it was presupposed at the time the theory was published. As his theory would mean that the Universe could not be static but either expanding or contracting. So Einstien added the Cosmological constant to make his theory work with a static universe. He fudged the figures in other words.:)

Later when Hubble discovered that the Universe was expanding Albert E. said adding this to his theory was his biggest blunder. Today they are rethinking about this as perhaps a antigravity. While it is gaining popularity it is far from conclusive and yet to be confirmed. As far I have heard gravity only pulls and its oposite has not been discovered.

• justhuman
    justhuman

THE TRUE IS OUT THERE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit