Thinking about taking my fiance to a meeting.. going as a "worldly person"

by OneStepOut93 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

Going to the meetings for a bit of fun is like playing with a ouija board for a bit of fun.

If something unexpected happens you might not be free of the consequences for ages afterwards.

Personally, I'd leave well alone.

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

Would you escape Hitler's concentration camp and then sneak your fiance back in just so he could see what your cot looked like? Just tell him about it from a safe distance.

On a side note, there was one "brother" who showed up out of nowhere. He said he moved up from the south somewhere. He wanted to go out in service, was commenting like a fiend, the whole works. Very charismatic, and a big hit with everybody. He made it about two weeks and disappeared. I ran the literature counter back in those days, and an elder was standing there, and I asked him "hey, brother Charismatic hasn't picked up his magazines. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while". The elder responded with a furrowed brow "That guy was disfellowshipped! Can you believe he came in here and did what he did? Commenting! I even took him in my service group!". So it happens, lol.

• DJS
    DJS

OneStep,

I've seen your picture; they won't be looking at him.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

@ Overlapping..... - that's the problem within. Brother charismatic was truly repentant otherwise why would he even waste his time getting ready, preparing and studying, just for the heck of it? He could have been d'f 1 day before he showed up at that hall having made a sincere heartfelt prayer asking for forgiveness that night. BUT because of the pharisee-like self imposed rules and policies of the WTS the brother would have to wait. THEN after waiting at least 6 months, again depending on the offense, he would have to write a letter praising the organization and how it's man's only chance for survival. THEN he would have to grovel at the feet of the elder panel. THEN he would have to wait to see if these untrained circus monkeys saw mind, physical, and emotional repentance to the appropriate level, AND if they had no poop left over in their anal cavity, so that he could be called back in to the back room and enslaved again to the WTS.

@ OneStep..... - I would have your husband walk up to a member perhaps an elder and ask that I know why Jesus came to earth and his purpose and NOW he would like to get baptized. Once they object and advise that there's a process, have him tell them about the eunuch and the jailer and how they were baptized right away.

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    OverlappingGeneralizations
    2 hours ago
    On a side note, there was one "brother" who showed up out of nowhere. He said he moved up from the south somewhere. He wanted to go out in service, was commenting like a fiend, the whole works. Very charismatic, and a big hit with everybody. He made it about two weeks and disappeared. I ran the literature counter back in those days, and an elder was standing there, and I asked him "hey, brother Charismatic hasn't picked up his magazines. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while". The elder responded with a furrowed brow "That guy was disfellowshipped! Can you believe he came in here and did what he did? Commenting! I even took him in my service group!". So it happens, lol.

Ha, this happened in my congregation too. It was a "brother" who arrived from I think Mexico, it was a while before it was found out he had been DF'ed in Mexico.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

My husband and I attended a meeting a few years ago, and he carried a small recording device in his suit pocket. We dressed up as JW's (never have been real JW's). Only one lady spoke to us after the meeting. We explained that we "hadn't been to meetings for awhile, and wanted to catch up on the latest news."

We read the Watchtower study article ahead of time, and it was very interesting to play back the recording, with all the strange comments that were made by people in the audience. (The article being discussed, was the one "refining" the Truth about 1914... there were some doozy comments, indeed! - search my old posts, for a detailed account of our experience).

Of course, we did arrive just in time for the opening song, and left promptly at the end of the meeting. They were gathering for field service.

If your fiance is truly interested in this phenomenon, consider recording the talk and the study hour. I made lots of notes in the margins of my Watchtower, but the comments came too fast for me to keep up.

Attending a Sunday meeting, while fully "Awake!" is a very interesting study of human behavior. It was a good thing we found seats near the back... I'm sure my facial expressions would have revealed my amusement and disgust.

GOOD LUCK!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Overlapping Generalizations - "That guy was disfellowshipped! Can you believe he came in here and did what he did? Commenting! I even took him in my service group!..."

"...I felt so dirty afterward!"

You have an awesome username, BTW.

• jws
    jws

I live where nobody should know I'm a JW. Unless my dad contacted the locals on one of his visits.

I used to have a JW call and accepted a Bible study from him. I told him we should be reading the bible not the Live Forever book. He agreed it's silly and stupid. Read the paragraph: "The car is red". Question: "What color is the car?". He compared it to Kindergarten. But he had no idea how to actually study the bible and we got off on a lot of tangents. My big thing was 1914 and the whole Babylonian chronology which I had several history books which showed 586/587 BC. He told me I was an excellent scholar and the JWs needed somebody like me.

Anyway, on his invitation, I went to a book study back when those existed. He directed me to an elder with my chronology questions. Man, it felt really good to basically (but politely) call the elder out as stupid who couldn't even read what was in the Bible. To argue with an elder instead of bowing my head and knowing my place was extremely therapeutic. And I also liked wearing business casual instead of a suit At the time, work was business casual.

The distinction was it was only me. I knew what I was doing. My mind was set. NO way I was going to hear anything and think, hey, I'll give these guys another chance.

To bring somebody else is to play with fire. If he's even somewhat religious, who knows what he might hear and like? What if the love-bombing gets to him and he wants more? What if he eventually becomes a JW?

I'd think if he's atheist and knows Christianity (all of it) is fake, it'd be easier to resist. But if he's somewhat Christian without much insight into belief, I've heard tales where the JWs make everything make sense and people join.

• OneStepOut93
    OneStepOut93

jws

My fiance was never raised in a religious setting, he is agnostic as well. So I'm sure he'll just be confused/disgusted by it all.

I'm going to troll a bit and maybe try and plant a few subtle seeds as well.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Lol go for it OneStep, kick that beehive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit