Are Elders prepared to take the fall for WT/GB misdemeanor's / crime ??

by smiddy3 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have been thinking about this in relation to the directive given to Elders to destroy any incriminating evidence they may have either on their PC`s ,e-mails , private notes in their possession, or notes in their witnessing bags ,etc. to do with child sexual abuse they may still have in their possession.

Isn`t that encouraging the Elders to interfere with the justice system ?

To break the law?

Isn`t it a crime to willfully destroy evidence that could be used in a court of law ?

Surely Elders are not dumb enough not to know their would

/ could be consequences if they obeyed these instructions ?

I am right here aren`t I in posing these questions ?

Any Elders here want to weigh in and comment ? and of course anybody else.?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think it depends, in part, on two factors:

1. Is there a policy regarding the disposition of communications (email/letters/etc)?

2. Is there an active investigation or legal action which may be impacted by the destruction of such communications?

There may be other factors. If there is a policy on how to handle such correspondence (that was not suddenly implemented in response to potential inquiries), that can be a protection against any sanctions. Those policies are overridden by legal actions, like a subpoena, which may demand that any documents or evidence related to a case or investigation must not be destroyed.

Edit: As no-zombie pointed out below, destroying evidence of a crime would supersede any of the above considerations.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

In the real world, if you delete or destroy documents relating to a crime, it is a crime. However PIMI Elders are waging Theocratic Warfare and it is through this lens that they justify their actions and obedience to the Organization.

Sadly many will still not understand that when they get convicted as accessory's to the fact, they have in reality just been thrown under the bus by the Governing Body.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Most elders are doing God's work so think there is no way things can go awry. Until it is too late.

Anyone who is really " thinkingest" (tm) can figure out that directions to get rid of damning material us a cover up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I’ve long felt that insisting that they’re “God’s Chosen” - and therefore invincible and destined to prevail no matter what - would be a major contributor to their downfall…

…because that mindset cannot help but influence them into making increasingly poor decisions.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It's the danger of running a high-control group. When you have a lot of influence and power, you might be tempted to see how far people are willing to follow you. And so you get things like overlapping generations and announcements about how pleased you are that you are publishing fewer new magazines. You run the risk of drifting too far from the rank and file, and not noticing how things are being received until it's too late.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

"Surely Elders are not dumb enough not to know their would

/ could be consequences if they obeyed these instructions ?"

They're dumb enough. It's sad, but most of them are dumb enough. Most of them were willing to trade truth/wisdom/love for "glory from men" and position. Some of them are sincere and are waking up to the reality the GB/FD$ is attempting to play the role of a god; some of them are just so busy and stressed and not thinking; but most of them are really dumb and have no clue about what is coming on the JWBorg. Totally clueless. "You reap what you sow" and they've been sowing trouble for a long time.

Hosea 8:7

"For it is wind that they are sowing,

And they will reap a storm wind."

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

its a Records Retention Policy. Every corporation has one.

In the real world, if you delete or destroy documents relating to a crime, it is a crime.

I dont think this is true, unless you've been charged with a crime.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Whether the WT instructions to Elders would cause them to commit a crime is a moot point.

Theoretically, if they were to be charged with obstructing the law for obedience to the Society, would they still do it? I believe most of them would. They view their appointment from God to be more important and transcends any law of man .

Personally , I would not have done it , unless we were under persecution and ban, that’s different.

When I was a Secretary I found a letter in the permanent file that said that if authorities wanted access to KH property or records we should refuse, and take the consequences. I knew then that if it were a criminal investigation against somebody, I would open the door and show them what they wanted. I would not protect some hypocrite JW from the law.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've thought for some time that the WTBS is setting things up so they can hang the elders out to dry. They may not succeed with that but they are still going to try.

This is relevant: https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Tampering-with-evidence.htm

"A person commits the federal crime of tampering with evidence when he or she knowingly alters, conceals, falsifies, or destroys any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to interfere with an investigation, possible investigation, or other proceedings by the federal government. (18 U.S.C. § 1519.) State laws also make it a crime to tamper with evidence in officials proceeding and investigations."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit