Dark Comfort

by Ravyn 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

dear heathen,

well vampyres lend well to alot of allusions in literature...the whole nature of it being a consuming, passionate, dark experience. I liked Bramm's too. I was never allowed to watch vampyre movies as a JW kid, so my favorites were Frankenstein--I loved Mary Shelley's Frankenstein(the movie)--especially the end scene where the monster is crying over his father's death even after all the horror he put him thru...and the sea captain asks the monster why he is crying and the monster says, 'because he was my father'. I always WANTED to feel that way about my father. But I cant.

So why are you called Heathen? Do you follow a Nordic or Gothic paganism? Or do you use it to mean 'NOT christian'? I am heathen, pagan-I follow a witchcraft tradition. My heritage is German Gypsy and I am sure some Nordic-Gothic-Celtic. Freisland and Brittany I know for sure on my father's side before the 1700' s when my ancestors came to America. My mother is French and Scottish, but we don't know for sure. I have always felt a connection to the Northern Italy, Romania, Germany, ByeloRus area of the map. The Gypsy surname in the family was Pharo. And I have always been fascinated by ancient Persia and legends of Atlantis.

Ravyn

• heathen
    heathen

I took the name heathen because I believe that all religion are cults . I don't follow any kind of organized ritualistic phoney bologny however I do tend to argue in favor of creation and the bible . The reason for that will always be a paradox to me.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I believe the extremes in religion are cultish. But I do feel that the human animal needs some ritual and structure. I do not really go in for the neo-pagan stuff either---unless I am being a 'playgan' and going to a faire or some celebration. I think christianity is its own worst enemy. You can't claim to be the best and only religion that some god approves of, and convince people of it, if you can't live up to the claim. And the Bible---if you claim it is the only, complete, and inerrant word of the only true god, then you got some 'splaining to do Lucy!' Why not just be honest and admit that christianity developed from various sources and in a olitical climate ripe for it to happen and give it roots in the human experience? But christianity is not the only religion that makes impossible claims and invalidates anything it might legitimately possess by a bad reputation and track record.

I don't consider religion and spirituality to be the same things at all. In fact I think the most spiritual thing humans can achieve is really good sex.

Ravyn

• heathen
    heathen

Ravyn-- I agree that the people who exploited the bible for personal gain have done nothing but defame some writings that were intended to inspire hope and explain the origins of the human race . I find it to be an interesting book despite the bad rap due to the currupt religious organizations .Many people have sacrificed their lives to insure that these writings and teachings were not destroyed . Whether or not you feel the same is not an issue with me .I only hope to come to a better understanding of life the universe and everything ,myself. My interest will only remain within the confines of what I deem to be relevant to the understanding of spirituality that is without deception.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Ravyn...that was truly beautiful. I would love to read your book when you're finished. I was never allowed to watch any horror when I was growing up either. I was raised a witness.But I made up for it later. And I love the vampire mystique.

Have you ever read any of Poppy Z. Brite's work?

heathen...I so agree with you about organized religion. The movie Stigmata made so much sense to me.

April

• heathen
    heathen

Tatiana-- The movie stigmata made no sense to me whatsoever . There are so many people that do claim to have some outlandish experiences with spirituality that to me sound like a bunch of hocus pocus church manipulation garbage . I thought it was a spooky movie in line with the exorcist but as long as it doesn't influence anyone to the point of blind obedience to a church then I recognize it as a ficticious horror film of wich I am a big fan of . I am forever on my guard against tactics of organized religion that are sanctified and ordained to be reality or based on truth but are clearly attempts to gain the attention of the mass population through deception .

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Heathen....I didn't see Stigmata as a horror movie at all. The "possession" of the girl was to get the message to the world that organized religion is a hoax and nothing but a scam, which it is. And which the Catholic church, (or any other major money dependant organized religion), would kill to keep from the masses.

It was nothing like the Exorcist. It promoted spirituality and love of Jesus and God through personal worship, not sitting in a million dollar cathedral.

April

• heathen
    heathen

Tatiana-- You are correct I seem to have fortgotten the ending when I posted last time. But in reality the stigmata thing is one of those things that people consider to be a sign of christs presence . The catholic church is very big on this .I have seen some footage on tv of the actual cases and people who seemed to me to be pulling a con game on the public . You had to be thinking it was a horror flick through out the movie ,it's not until the end that it all comes together as an affront to organized religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit