Wasting Time In The Ministry--How Did You Do It??

by minimus 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder how many JWs feel this way about field service.

My heart goes out to people who are trapped in this system.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I hated field circus (i read that phrase on this forum and love it). I felt so guilty for many years for hating it. I told everyone i knew that I hated it, any elder who spoke to me knew I hated it. So they can't claim I was dishonest. They all told me that everyone hates it if they don't do it enough to get used to it.

But when I increased my hours I hated seeing all those same faces every morning. There were so many of them that irritated me no end! So many jw think they can drive and read their territory maps at the same time - I'd like to holler at them, YOU CANNOT DRIVE AND READ AT THE SAME TIME, YOU IDIOT!

I was in my 30s and 40s and 50s doing this. The born-ins and pio's always condescended to tell me how my attitude was wrong, how i could improve, blah blah. Having mini-elders in their teens talk down to me, what a warm feeling that gives you! I knew it wasn't their fault.

Old "confused" elders sending me to a house that they knew the householder was violently opposed. Coming back to the car after being screamed at, finding the elder laughing so hard he was wetting himself. That was joyous.

Then after the big thing happened in our family, lots of troubles with the grandkid and ex-son in law, elders treating us so unfairly - I went out a couple times after that but always thinking, "What kind of horrible thing am I inviting people into?!" Yes, join a bunch of hypocrites, backstabbing, gossiping, ungrateful, mean, stingy, judgmental, and in many cases immoral. Come learn how to "help" people! Then when they get kicked in the teeth, tell them they must not have enough faith. uhuh.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I wasted time in the ministry by engaging in it at all. I look back at a quarter of a century of my personal door-to-door, street-work, business territory, return visits and "Bible studies" and cannot only think of one single incident that was genuinely worthwhile.

A drunken householder started yelling at my young child. I told the drunk to shut up and quit using profanity in front of a small child. We then calmly walked away.

And that wouldn't have even happened if we'd not been there antagonizing him. Probably he had some family member shunning him or some such thing. That experience got me wondering, "Why are some householders so hostile to us?" I began doing the research. I learned TTATT. Now I know the reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit