Is the term "sheep" offensive to you?

by pr_capone 25 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I guess we may just be accustomed to the term "sheep".

It just doesn't sound as good as Jesus referring to his followers as yaks, gazelles, zebras, wildebeasts, water buffalo or whatever.

When he was rehersing for the speach, he probably tried out a lot of animals but settled on sheep.

*****Rub a Dub

• starfish422
    starfish422

Actually, I've often had the same thoughts about this, capone. You and I are definitely on the same page on this one.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, in Jesus' time and the during the time of the Israelites, sheep were valuable animals. First for their value as sacrificial animals, for the wool to make clothing, food. It was much easier to raise sheep than cattle. No cowboys on the range in Jesus day although there were cows for milk. No beef ranches. A family's whole livelihood revolved around the successful caring for them. That is why people understood his illustration about the one sheep that was lost out of 99. That is why David grew up giving 24 protection to the flock against bears and wolves. Why Jesus showed if they would save a sheep on the sabbath, why couldn't he heal a man on the sabbath. Sheep do not play such an important role in our lives on JWD. But if we lived back then, sheep were important.

Blondie (worked summers on a sheep farm)

• Beans
    Beans

This is a good question for our Scottish brothers! Perhaps Little Toe can give a ruling on this!

Beans

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• songmistress
    songmistress

"I guess we may just be accustomed to the term "sheep".

It just doesn't sound as good as Jesus referring to his followers as yaks, gazelles, zebras, wildebeasts, water buffalo or whatever.

When he was rehersing for the speach, he probably tried out a lot of animals but settled on sheep.

*****Rub a Dub"

Actually, lemmings is a more apporpriate animal for dubs to be compared to.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

LMAO @ songmistress

Never quite thought about it that way, but how true!

Edited by - pr_capone on 6 February 2003 4:1:39

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit