Is the term "sheep" offensive to you?

by pr_capone 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

In my late teens I took a job tending sheep during the lambing season. Why the woolies give birth in the dead of night I'll never know! During the day, I worked in a boat yard scraping hulls and painting the bottoms of the boats. I was trying to earn money to buy my own sailboat.

The looney sheep would wander down to the boatyard and get chased by the local dogs and end up in the bay.....I'd have to wade in, grab them by their fleece and physically turn them towards shore and get them back to the pasture.

In my opinion, all those striving for a position of eldership in the org should be made to tend a flock of real sheep for at least a month. I hated to be called a 'sheep'. I just plain hate sheep.

Warrigal (sheep baaaad, lambchops good)

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Sheep don't just follow anyone - sheep will come to a good shepherd - other people have to go and get them with horses and dogs.

Nothing wrong with being a sheep - better that than someone's dog.

And for the Mosaic Law learners - why doesn't a horse have a divided hoof?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Not at all...it's my chinese zodiac sign

• songmistress
    songmistress

Well I have heard it said that in Montana, men are men and sheep are nervous

(ducks and runs for cover) LOL

I think they got it wrong, it is in the WTBS men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Cheryl

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think sheep is meant to be a negative term in the Bible. Jesus likened his followers to sheep and himself to a loving shepherd so it is not an abusive concept developed by the WTS.

I like what A Paduan said:

Sheep don't just follow anyone - sheep will come to a good shepherd - other people have to go and get them with horses and dogs.

Sheep aren't just blind followers.

Dogs on the other hand will befriend pedophiles, serial killers, wife beaters. The dogs in our family always bonded most with my pedophile father. (please dog lovers don't arise)

Nothing wrong with being a sheep - better that than someone's dog.

John 10:27 NWT

27 My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

Even Jesus was compared to a sheep.

Isaiah 53:7 NWT

He was being brought just like a sheep to the slaughtering; and like a ewe that before her shearers has become mute, he also would not open his mouth.

John 1:29 NWT

The next day he beheld Jesus coming toward him, and he said: "See, the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world!
  • Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Seedy ,I said shear them ,not share them

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

What do they call an Elder with 20 girlfriends?

Thats right, a 'Shepherd'!

Outaservice ( but still countin my time)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Is the term "sheep" offensive to you?

Yes. The PC term is "Ovine-Americans"

• Auntie Flame
    Auntie Flame

Only if someone uses the term "sheep" when trying to "flock" me and pull the wool over my eyes.

Auntie Flame

• meadow77
    meadow77

I agree with Blondie. I think what it is supposed to mean in a spiritual sense, and how the WT has made it a catch phrase are two different things. I think the Faithful and Discreet Slave is the most strange and degrading.Just my .02

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit