Dissing the JWs....

by ScoobySnax 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hi Scooby,

I think that probably most if not all people here had good times while in the WT. I know I did. But I have also had some pretty bad times. I did some things that got me in trouble. Nothing that even remotely qualified me for df or da but adolescent pranks.

After leaving Bethel, and having been exposed to the hypocrisy first hand, I began to lose interest. I was actually willing to let that go since we can all be hypocritical at times. Thought it was just mans imperfection.

However, the longer I was out the more I was able to objectively view the teachings and doctrines of the WT. On that basis alone, I would encourage anyone who sincerely questioned me about the Society not to become involved. Dont hate the people, but the actions and the attitudes of many I dislike very strongly.

It is well to note here that just the fact that people are moral and nice and good wholesome associates doesnt make them right. Many witnesses fit that description. So do many Mormons, Catholics and Buddhists. It is not a criterion for judging Truth. It is, however, a marketing point for many cultists. Look at how clean and well-behaved and moral our people are! Surely this could only be from God!

I dont do the same things that I didnt do as a witness. I maintain high moral standards, pay my taxes and honestly try to be good. But these things are only to be expected or any citizen.

On the other hand I remember a sister (JW) trying to convince me to come back She said she knew that she was not worthy of living past Armageddon but that she just KNEW Jehovah would welcome me back. This was at her house while on a visit. She and her husband (an elder at the time) were both on their butts drunk at the time. (I also drink on occasion, not to excess because I dont like being drunk however; there is nothing to prevent me from drinking or even getting drunk). Hubby later spent several years in Huntsville (the prison in Texas) for dealing drugs and was implicated in at least one murder if I remember correctly.

Whats with all the false humility? If they thought I was wrong and were willing to preach to me, why not get things right themselves?

Why was I viewed as the spiritually weak one and yet never did any of the things they did and live my faith in God on a daily basis? I aint no superhero. I just fear doing things that I KNOW in my heart are wrong for me to do.

My take on it all is that very few people here hate the witnesses. Rather, we feel sorry for them for having to take the crap and abuse they are rationed on a daily basis. Many if not most of us do not accept the F&DSC as Gods spokesman and, view them as false prophets. We are told not to fear the false prophet. We raise a ruckus and point out to each other (a willing audience for the most part) the latest craziness of the WT. This is our right and hurts no one. If someone is warned off the WT by something posted here, I for one am glad. There is nothing wrong with pointing to and ridiculing a false prophet.

Anyone who truly believes in the WT is in regular attendance. Anyone who is not is unconvinced of the truth of their teachings. If you or anyone is convinced that it is the Truth, you will find a way to be there. No excuses.

It is NOT my assumption that you want to be there. I cant tell from your post. I dont know you. So I am not offering this in a critical way, it is just based upon what I have read.

Sincerely,

Marcos

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

But just because someone has kinder memories of their JW days than most of us do does not make them of low intelligence.

But of course, it isn't his "memories" of his JW days that I find unintelligent. It is his assesment of the JW religion that reflects idiocy, imo. If his assesment has been made thru rose colored glasses, he should take them off. The guy has been reading here, and discounting everything he reads, for some time now. I'd wager a guess though, that he hasn't even taken time to study the doctrinal issues. If I'm right about that, I find that to be incredibly stupid. Not impressed with CofC? Stupid or heartless, I see no other explanation. What kind of scumbag has respect for the WTBTS after reading the truth about Malawi? What sort of person wants to follow the mean-spirited bastards in brooklyn after learning how ridiculous the 1914 timeline is?

What, are we gonna pretend that wacks aren't going to stumble onto our board every now and then? Should we just pretend they're normal?

• Marcos
    Marcos

SixofNine,

What, are we gonna pretend that wacks aren't going to stumble onto our board every now and then? Should we just pretend they're normal?

Yes, just pretend we're normal

Everyone has an opinion. No rules that I'm aware of REQUIRE us to post.

BTW, I too feel about the same way about the WT as you do. However, civility is called for in all dealings on this board. Take a drink mon! Relax. Remember, blue skys, white clouds, no f***ing problems!

Marcos

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thank goodness Sof9 isn't a Witness anymore, else my faith would really have been tested!

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Thank you for explaining, SixOfNine.

But of course, it isn't his "memories" of his JW days that I find unintelligent. It is his assesment of the JW religion that reflects idiocy, imo. If his assesment has been made thru rose colored glasses, he should take them off. The guy has been reading here, and discounting everything he reads, for some time now.

You may have a valid point.

I'd wager a guess though, that he hasn't even taken time to study the doctrinal issues. If I'm right about that, I find that to be incredibly stupid.

I don't. I know people who have not looked at the doctrinal issues, and they are very intelligent. It is just the doctrinal stuff does not interest them at this time. That is perfectly valid in my opinion.

Not impressed with CofC? Stupid or heartless, I see no other explanation.

I see another explaination. I personally believe everything written in CofC and have no reason to believe otherwise. However, one thought did keep going through my mind as I read it. Ray Franz was privy to a lot of information that no other ex-JW has or will have access to. If I were a JW, how would I not know that Ray simply lied? It is not like the GB is going to hand over copies of the minutes of the GB meetings. And letters can be faked. Of course this is paranoid thinking. But I have seen things like that happen before...I have seen some very clever dishonesty. We are trusting Ray, as he would be the only one with knowledge of what happened.....or rather the only one with the knowledge of what happened who would speak out.

What kind of scumbag has respect for the WTBTS after reading the truth about Malawi? What sort of person wants to follow the mean-spirited bastards in brooklyn after learning how ridiculous the 1914 timeline is?

I agree. However, it is not a stretch to see how others could not hate the WTBS for it. Many Christian religions accept insane "persecution" over a stupid belief.

No, and I don't mind that you spoke out....now that you are showing your reasoning. But personally, what ScoobySnax wrote in this thread was not wacked.

Richard

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

.....and thanks Richard for your post, in a roundabout way!

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    .....and thanks Richard for your post, in a roundabout way!

Your welcome, ScoobySnax.

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 4 February 2003 0:34:5

• Brummie
    Brummie
    have I been misled about my memories and how I feel then?

No you havent been misled Scooby, a lot of us can relate to you.

You would have had such fond memories whichever cult you belonged to, if you had been raised a mormon, hare Krishna, moonie, you would have had fond memories. Ask former members of all these movements and they all have fond memories...however, they still left for valid reasons and suffered the consequences of leaving by losing everything they had. Tis a cult tactic.

I have fond memories of being a kid and stroking next doors pitbull terrior...until it bit me. Such is the nature of the Watchtower, it will turn on you at the drop of a hat. Once bitten twice shy huh.

Glad your out, be patient with your self, just work on doing things outside of the cults now that will become your fond memories of the future.

Brummie

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    Should we just pretend they're normal?

*raised eyebrow*

Whutz normal? Seems to me everyone and their dog has their own subjective interpretation of *normal* these dayz. Can anyone provide some objective measure or even an example of *normal* in order for us all not to have to *pretend* anything? I would weawy wuv dat.

SPAZ

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I cannot belong to any religion or organization that says, "we will only love you if you do what we say." I never really understood what unconditional love was until I left the JW. The JW brand of love is conditional.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit