Does God exist outside of Time?

by D wiltshire 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• logansrun
    logansrun
    What is the smallest distance you can travel?
    That would be a quantum leap. That is when an electron makes the leap from a larger orbit to a smaller one. That is, be definition, the shortest distance that can be traveled. Kind of ironic if you think about it since the phrase "quantum leap" has worked its way into our lexicon as being a great leap forward.

But, wouldn't this "quantum leap" be able to be cut into half? And that half cut into half? And that half....ad infinitum ? I don't know if it is possible to say there is any "smallest distance you can travel." Bradley

• Hamas
    Hamas

Maybe

• donkey
    donkey

You need to believe so much just to ask that question.

Let's analyze why. "Does God exist outside of time?"

When we say God exists - what do we mean? Do we mean that there is a God vs there is no god? Or do we mean God is real, he just domiciles in a different place? Do humans exist outside of time? What is existence? It's an easy word definition but a harder conceptual one.

Did God invent time? What is time? Do you mean the relative motion of planetary bodies?

Like I said...the question assumes so much understanding before I can even think about possible answers.

If God created time then did hsi creation envelop himself? We know that believers claim God lives in heaven - right? Did God create heaven and then move into it? What was his prior place of abode? Wha makes heaven preferable to where he lived previously? Running water? Better school system? Less traffic? Forgive the sarcasm - but as humans we have invented this concept/thing called "God". We then endeavor to relate this "God" to human terms so that we can convinve others of how real our "friend" is. Many will turn around and say "God is beyond human comprehension". The coput answer!! If that's true then how do you even know he exists? The answer - he exists for one reason only that I can discern: he exists because YOU want him to.

Functionally decomposed,
    Jack

• Francois
    Francois

Time, for its existence, requires movement. Earth time measures moon orbits around the earth and earth orbits around the sun. This is another way of saying that time requires space.

God requires neither. IF he required either, God would be limited by this need for space/time, and a limited God is not God at all.

Therefore God exists outside of time and in no location in space.

Simple.

• logansrun
    logansrun

God must have limits. Could He make a three-sided square? No. He would need to be bound by logical necessity. If a Supreme Deity does exist limitiations would in no way detract from the fact He is supreme.

Bradley

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Logan,

God must have limits. Could He make a three-sided square? No. He would need to be bound by logical necessity. If a Supreme Deity does exist limitiations would in no way detract from the fact He is supreme.

If God has limits, I don't think we are in a position to know what they are.

Frank,

Therefore God exists outside of time and in no location in space.
    I agree, and I even think he can exist, both inside and out of spacetime. He can also transform himself to become a man and talk to us that way (Jesus). For God to transform himself into a man he would still exist outside of time and space, while he was a man. Are not all things possible with God even the things that appear impossible to us.?
  • logansrun
    logansrun

D wiltshire,

If God has limits, I don't think we are in a position to know what they are.

Very true. But, wouldn't you agree that we also are not in a position to truly know that God actually exists?

B

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Logan,

Very true. But, wouldn't you agree that we also are not in a position to truly know that God actually exists?

Yes I agree. We won't be in a position to know if God "truly exist" until we are like him and we see him face to face(metaphor: face to face).1John 3:1,2:

3 See what sort of love the Father has given us, so that we should be called children of God; and such we are. That is why the world does not have a knowledge of us, because it has not come to know him. 2 Beloved ones, now we are children of God, but as yet it has not been made manifest what we shall be. We do know that whenever he is made manifest we shall be like him, because we shall see him just as he is. 3 And everyone who has this hope set upon him purifies himself just as that one is pure.
  • Introspection
    Introspection
    We do know that whenever he is made manifest we shall be like him, because we shall see him just as he is.

Hmm, so it sounds like this is saying seeing God is to be like God. Suppose that God is awareness, (or pure consciousness, whatever you wanna call it) or 'the seeing' but not what is seen or some subject that sees, then seeing God is seeing the seeing, seeing awareness, if that makes sense. In that case, it would certainly be true that seeing God is to be like God, being aware of awareness. I'm sure this won't make a lot of sense to a lot of people, I'm just putting it out there for whoever it may click with.

• Simon
    Simon

Sounds like the Asimove novel "End of Eternity" to me where people can travel outside of time live floors on an elevator and then step into reality to make adjustments to keep things running smoothly

Personally, I think god exists in our own time because he's just a superstitious fictional invention that has yet to be killed of but is on the slide. You might as well ask if superman or homer simpson exist outside of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit