Disassociating myself ...

by dedalus 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Etude
    Etude

Dedalus:

I'm so enraged I could spit sparks. Those bastards! I would hope that something happens to those elders to make them realize their insensitivity. I'm not vindictive and don't whish them a tragedy. But at this very moment, I don't really care if it did.

I hope you're dad comes around and your brother-in-law improves in health. How's you father-in-law fairing and what does he say about what happened with the elders at the door?

Etude

• teejay
    teejay

The most stunning comment you made as far as I'm concerned was at the very beginning

This winter my wife and daughter and I celebrated Christmas with my in-laws, with whom we currently live (high school English teachers don't make much money!).

Are you the same dedalus that wrote:

By the way, I'm a certified writing tutor and a teaching fellow in the English department of a
      top-tier university. I get paid to evaluate student writing all the time. And the truth is, your
      essay was riddled with mite-size grammatical mistakes, insipid cliches, and tedious
      redundancy. Reading it was akin to being bitten by the same mosquito over and over again.
      Your professor probably liked it, but only because you demonstrated some understanding of
      what he already said in class. The essay itself has little inherent merit.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=10894&site=3#132107

Just curious.
  • outnfree
    outnfree

((((((((teejay))))))))) Well, he WAS raised as a Witness, after all.....

Dedalus,

I wish you and your in-laws peace. What I wish those uncaring, insensitive elders just isn't fit to print.

outnfree

• shera
    shera

I hate to hear little children going threw any type of pain.I hope he is feeling better soon.

I'm not shocked by the elders cold behavior,but sickened by it.I hope things go well with your family and yourself.

Take care and hugs.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

My heart goes out to you. How is your brother-in-law. I think your letter is right to the point! Happy birthday to your daughter!

• dedalus
    dedalus

Thanks for the responses, everyone. To answer a couple of questions, my brother-in-law is better now, has even gone back to school, although it's not always easy for him. There are still nights when he cries and is in pain, though they are more infrequent.

It wouldn't be my place to send something to a local newspaper about all of this; my own disassociation is rather small in the scheme of things (though the title of this thread doesn't reflect that). My father-in-law wouldn't like the publicity, I think. My mother-in-law has talked about hiring a lawyer for slander, but realizes, I think, that it would be a huge battle she doesn't have the time or energy to undertake. I agree that things like this need to be exposed to the public more. We have a local reporter who writes religious stories about Witnesses from time to time, shadowing them door-to-door, and his articles are always disgustingly sacchrine. Sadly, that's the approach more often taken, at least around here.

I should reply to BluesBrother to clarify something: a couple of days after the elders' surprise visit, my father-in-law called them from his office and told them he and his wife wouldn't be attending any judicial meetings. "Do what you have to do," he said. I wasn't trying to make the elders sound worse than they were by omitting this -- I was just trying to keep a long story from getting longer. There are in fact a few other episodes occurring before and after the episode I described, as well as a whole prologue for my in-law's inactivity in the first place. However, in the events I described I didn't embellish anything. It was what it was.

I think teejay does know that I am the same dedalus I was a year and a half ago, so I'm not entirely sure what the point is, except maybe to show that I can be insensitive myself, sometimes. I graduated from BC and took a high school teaching job because real life (in the form of my daughter) struck, and suddenly amassing thousands of dollars in even more education debt for the sake of a PhD didn't seem like the best use of my time. I still think that Dead Poet's Society is an awful movie about teaching and poetry and, heck, life in general, and I'm still not likely to speak well of any essay that appreciates it. But if it's an apology you want, teejay, I'm sorry. (Note the ambiguous wording of this last sentence. )

Again, many thanks to all who responded.

Dedalus

edited for grammar

Edited by - dedalus on 2 February 2003 12:23:46

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I think the elders were horrible, I am sorry to hear of your brother in law that is so ill. I think they should have been told that in the DA letter, I think as a English Proffesor you should let them know in no uncertain terms that their conduct was horrible.

Teejay some people are overly critical, Thunder had a frustrated English Proffesor critique his book. The man was so jealous because he writes HORRIBLY that he just critiqued it grammatically. LOL Writing for fiction and grammatical essay style are two differnt things I MAKE straight A's on my essays and I think yours was good. Not to trite

• teejay
    teejay
    I think teejay does know that I am the same dedalus I was a year and a half ago...

Actually, I *didn't* know that you were the same. I was just stunned to read your real circumstances. Earlier you portrayed yourself as "a certified writing tutor and a teaching fellow in the English department of a top-tier university" who was paid to evaluate student writing. An extremely good job, I thought. I also thought *that* dedalus was full of himself and not very good at encouraging first year college students (as I was at the time).

Now you're a high school English teacher (a far cry from the professional status of the other one) who can't afford his own home. Either you lost your earlier position or you misrepresented yourself to begin with. Either way, it matters not to me. Like I said ded, I was just curious. No apology necessary, but I'll accept yours if you wish.

• dedalus
    dedalus

I was just stunned to read your real circumstances. Earlier you portrayed yourself as "a certified writing tutor and a teaching fellow in the English department of a top-tier university" who was paid to evaluate student writing.

I was a teaching fellow at Boston College, a position for which I was paid $650 a month. Illustrious, no? Well, it was a lot of fun, and I was good at it, and it helped pay some of my tuition, and I only ever mentioned it on this forum because you seemed to want to know about my credentials after you wanted people here to read your essay. You weren't my student back then, so I was never concerned with nurturing your academic development. Anyway, when I received my degree from the college, my fellowship ended -- fellowships are, by their definition, temporary positions. Evidently you don't know this.

Now you're a high school English teacher (a far cry from the professional status of the other one) who can't afford his own home.

Teaching fellowships are characterized by their complete and utter lack of "professional status" -- or do you even know what that phrase means? I explained the changes in my life in this very thread, or didn't you read it? You try to make me look like a liar, and then disparage my career and economic circumstances -- very nice. Just tell me, teejay, what's the point of all this in relation to the topic of my thread? How are my career choices more "stunning" than my sick relative being disrespected by arrogant men?

I suggest you go rent a copy of Finding Forrester and leave this thread alone.

Dedalus

• LDH
    LDH

Hug that baby boy and fuck the JWs and the horse they rode in on.

'Nuff said.

((((((((((((((Ded)))))))))))))

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit