SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA MISSING!

by D8TA 88 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

Truly a terrible tragedy! D8ta and others, thanks for the pics, etc. D8s posted pic of the astronuats at the top of this page is very touching.

• Valis
    Valis

Some songs I thought that were an appropriate tribute to our astronauts. Do we have an official memorial for our fallen astronauts? If we don't have a big one I bet we will see such a things very soon.

Rocket Man by Elton John

She packed by bag last night, preflight
    Zero hour, nine a.m.
    And I'm gonna be high
    As a kite by then

I miss the earth so much
    I miss my wife
    It's lonely out in space
    On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
    'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
    I'm not the man they think I am at home
    Ah, no no no...
    I'm a rocket man
    Rocket man
    Burnin' out his fuse
    Up here alone

Mars ain't the kind of place
    To raise your kids
    In fact, it's cold as hell
    And there's no one there to raise them
    If you did

And all this science
    I don't understand
    It's just my job
    Five days a week
    A Rocket Man
    Rocket Man

Ah, no no no...

Ah, no no no...
    I'm a rocket man
    Rocket man
    Burnin' out his fuse
    Up here alone

Long, long, time
    Long, long, time

Ah, no, no, no...
    Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...

Ground Control To Major Tom by David Bowie

Ground control to Major Tom Ground control to Major Tom:
    Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
    Ground control to Major Tom: Commencing countdown engine's on
    Check ig-nition and may God's love be with you

This is ground control to Major Tom, you've really made the grade!
    And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear,
    Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is Major Tom to ground con-trol, I'm stepping through the door
    And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
    And the stars look very difeerent today

For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world
    Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm passed one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
    And I think my spaceship knows which way to go,
    tell my wife I love her very much she knows

Ground control to Major Tom:
    Your circuit's dead, there's something wong.
    Can you hear me Major Tom?
    Can you hear me Major Tom?
    Can you hear me Major Tom? Can you ...

Here am I floating round my tin can, far above the moon
    Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

• Satanus
    Satanus

Valis

Fitting songs, at this time. Peter schiller's version of bowie's song is nice too.

SS

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

What a very sad day indeed!

Warrigirl, your right about people being complacent about things that seem to us as not risky. The take-off and landings of any aircraft or space carft are dangerous. The news reported that if the shuttle was missing a few tiles in the wrong place, the intense heat developed upon re-entry would cause catostrophic damage, also control problems that would put the angle of the nose of the shuttle in the wrong postion would do the same.

I know they will find out what happened and try to improve the program, it's just very hard to see things go so awefully wrong. I watched two launches from Titusville, one in the morning and one at night. The awesome power you feel is incredible. It chocked me up with emotion both times I watched it. I pray and hope for the families that they recieve the comfort they need to sustain them through this tragedy.

CC

• crownboy
    crownboy

This is very sad.

I saw it when I woke up this morning, it's still almost unbelieveable. I hope the grieving families will be OK, and that the space program can figure out what went wrong, and hopefully a catastrophe like this will not happen again.

• plmkrzy
  • Xandria
    Xandria
    The Challenger crew, left to right, front row, Michael Smith, Dick Scobee and Ronald McNair; back row, Ellison Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis and Judith Resnik.

Omg!! this brings back memories.

We were watching the Challenger Live at school ( I was in Junior High at that time) and when the explosion happened my home economics teacher ran outta the room sobbing.

Her relative was aboard the ship. Ellison Onizuka was her cousin. I remember the whole sick feeling again with this.

The loss, the pain and sadness. My Uncle worked on the early designs of the Nasa shuttles, he was an engineer. They are still using similar designs now.

It is past time, for Nasa to re-design these ships with the delays they've had with launches due to problems with equipment. It is scary.

Especially when you are re-entering the atmosphere, you want all ceramic panels and insulation around equipment panels working. You want all navigation to work so you don't lose yaw control. B/c once you lose that you will lose control and burn up on entry into the atmosphere at the most critical of times. That 15-30 minute time interval when you have ionization messing with your communications. You cannot communicate with Nasa Ground and ground cannot communicate to you. Until you come out of that ion field.

My thoughts are with those families who have lost their family members right before thier eyes. One in fact who lost a son in 9-11 and again a niece on the Shuttle. It is the worst helpless feeling one could imagine~ watching a loved one die and you cannot stop it.

X.

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

A very sad loss indeed.

The explosion woke my wife and oldest daughter this morning, it was bad enough to shake the houses here where we live and its almost 6 hours from DFW area. About 45 minutes from here they have closed a resort area due to the amount of debris being found there, no injuries that I am aware of yet.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I just saw on CNN that they found human remains in Hemphill and loaded them onto a hearse. .

• ugg
    ugg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit