Bill Bowen talks about CBC Fifth Estate!

by UnDisfellowshipped 62 Replies latest jw friends

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to offend anyone by my comments. They are my personal opinions on these things, and that's all. I know they've been discussed to death, but you know what? It'd be alot easier to forget if Ray wasn't attacked and accused of crimes against humanity on a weekly basis (that may be an exaggeration, but I'll bet at least 50% of his SL announcements contain the name of Ray Franz). I myself have never spoken to Bill without a huge conversation about how horrible Ray is, he's hung up on this issue.

I personally think we're doing an injustice to Mr Franz by allowing these things to be stated here. I'm not saying silentlambs information shouldn't be posted here, I just think these things should be edited for our viewing pleasure, because it does no-one any good to keep going through this.

For the record, Cass, I am a supporter of silentlambs, LambsRoar supports the cause heavily on a daily basis. We carry links to silentlambs.org, we have a countdown clock for the march this year, we speak favorably (for the most part) about Bill and silentlambs, so please don't think I hate the guy or that I think he's evil, because that is not the case. I just think he should stop with the Franz crap, it's immature. And just because some happen to disagree with a tactic that he uses regularly, doesn't mean that we think his heart isn't in the right place. Many people have tried to help Bill to understand these things, but he won't listen. Perhaps you and Unf'd and Hawkaw, and Scully and others that are closer to Bill will have better luck getting through to him.

He's not perfect, and no-one expects him to be, but if he doesn't listen to one damn thing the Abuse Survivors are telling him, the Abuse Survivors that he claims to protect, then that's a problem. I just think that by bringing this issue up repeatedly is not intelligent. Do we jump on it every time he does it? Yes, because he did it again, and personally that's what I can't understand. Leave it alone, because first of all he's completely wrong regarding Ray, and second of all, he's just a guilty as Ray (see above). If we just ignore when he does wrong 'for the good of the cause' then there's nothing to keep him in check. To not point out the wrong would be a crime in itself, because then you're just putting way too much power in the hands of one man. We're free now, free to have opinions, free to disagree, free to make our own decisions. If we just put the wrong aside and back up an organization when they hurt innocent people, just because they do good things, is putting us back at square one again.

I'll try to keep my mouth shut, but I don't think that's fair, not when the wrong continues to grow and flourish. It'd be a different story if the topic was just dropped after the first tour. In my opinion he does it because it pisses us off. He claims to have had this belief for quite some time, way before he mentioned it in the first place. Then he saw how we reacted once he did bring it up, now it's a regular part of the silentlambs cause. And that's what happens. You give a guy a following that will swallow any kind of garbage that flows from his lips, and the wrong becomes a pillar in the organization. If everyone that followed the silentlambs cause would have the strength and power to stand up for what is right, he'd have no choice but to listen. But no, some are too weak still, to do what is right, and they continue to feed this growing tactic of hurting the innocent. We are the Survivors, this is true, but are we any better if we stand by and allow an innocent man to be hurt by this? No, I think it makes us worse. We're ready to take anyone down for the crimes that have been committed against us, whether they deserve it or not. This is wrong. And if we disagree with Bill on this, but keep our mouths shut and simply allow these things to occur because this man is fighting for us, then that's even more wrong. I think we need to sit back, and think about how Mr. Franz must feel.....an 80 year old man, who's done so much for us. Do you think he sits in his office, or wakes up in the morning hurt by these things? He's human, of course he does. And you think it's ok for us to be a part of that, just because we're getting satisfaction? If it were you that was being attacked and accused of these things, would you feel the same way?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Simon,

It would be alot easier if Farkel learnt to use the "Ignore" button and simply didn't respond to anything I wrote. I am sick and tired of being stalked and harassed by this person.

Farkel - please cease and desist from making rude, unprovoked comments to me from now on. If you don't like me or what I say, too bad. Just don't say anything to me or about me, either directly or indirectly.

I will do the same with you.

Agreed?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Pris.

Ive told you, dont respond to the guy. just email moderation.If he continues to attack you with bad language and you are not responding then Simon must take action.

Also, put "IMO" in your posts occassionally. If you put IMO or "correct me if Im wrong" (which is what I do) then you cant be criticized as making blanket statements.

• Prisca
    Prisca

RF,

I always email moderation, and all they can do is say to Farkel "be nice".

Do you really think he takes any notice?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Prisca whines, when she drew first blood,

I take notice and will take heed Simon and Ozzie about using discretion in this response.

Now for her gigantic strawman argument:

: As for my statement regarding Mr Bowen....

: He has done damage for the cause in that those I've spoken to here in Australia don't want to be involved with anything associated with Bill Bowen. If ppl wanted to set up a SL Inc here in Australia, I'm sure they could with the help of Mr Bowen - but I'm yet to speak to someone who wants to be involved with Mr Bowen or the SL name.

: The cause isn't about Silentlambs Inc, it's about THE silent lambs ie, the victims/survivors of abuse who have been silenced. That's why the victims/survivors in Australia were NOT referred to in the Channel 9 "Sunday" programme as "silentlambs" but as "silent witnesses" - to clarify the distinction between SL Inc and the real victims/survivors.

: I would LOVE to be at the forefront of helping the Australian silent witnesses - but due to my family situation I am not able to. I work on helping those I can behind the scenes. I don't need public acculades for what I do, nor do I see the need to publicise who or how I help. But there are definitely ppl, including myself, who are trying to help the silent witnesses behind the scenes.

Now this sounds all warm and fuzzy and (of course) is in Priscilla's best interest to say this, and I will concede that all these words are sincere.

But that is NOT the issue she brought up and I addressed! This argument does NOTHING to prove her assertion that Bill Bowen has done more harm than good to the very movement he started!

Quit whining, Prisca. I've been very careful in dealing with you lately. But when you make insane claims, I must jump in and attack them. This is especially true when you attack the man who has done more for moving forward the issue of JW child abuse than any other human on this planet. That was and is my assertion, and all your words haven't produced a shred of evidence to dispute it. God gave me freedom of speech and so far, Simon and Ozzie and Eman and the others have been most generous in allowing me to use it.

The more you prattle, the deeper the hole you dig for yourself. Why don't you just do what I've done so many times and say, "I was wrong, and out-of-line and I apologize?"

You were a moderator on witnutz what, just a few years ago? Ok. I appreciate that you will need a while to get that blame/black/white thinking out of your life. I'm more than happy to give you the space to do so. But quit whining when you get caught in your nonsense, and quit trying to try to explain your way out of it. You look like a fool when you do that.

Just be a real human like the rest of us and say, "Ok. That was not my best moment, and I'm sorry for saying that."

If you cannot do something as simple as that, then you will continue to be challenged. You aren't clever enough to weasal out of anything stupid that you say, and you will be nailed every time. Promise.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 3 February 2003 1:43:12

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey RevMalk,I am aware you are also working with abused victims.In my book that makes you a good man..Bill Bowen brought the Silent Lambs problem,to public attention..You may be stong enough to fight for yourself but many aren`t,Bill changed that..How do I know many are too young or beat up to help themselves?..I`ve had to take in children within the family who were abused,not an easy job..I post based on my experience.Not on things I know nothing about..It`s about time people working for the same goal,quit ragging on each other..It`s fucking pathetic..I wish you and Bill both well in your work for victims of sexual abuse..Thanks for the post...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Cassiline,yes I was speaking of the Fifth Estate project,thanks...OUTLAW

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

It`s about time people working for the same goal,quit ragging on each other..It`s f*****g pathetic

I think you're probably correct. I wasn't really trying to 'rag' on him though, I just have certain opinions of things. I don't think he's a bad guy, I really don't. If I screw up, or start heading down a road that I shouldn't be, I hope the rest of you guys will be there to slap me upside my head. I try my best to help out, and that's all I can do, and I certainly would never want to do anything that's against the wishes of fellow survivors.
  • Valis
    Valis

Why does this go on when Bill isn't here to defend what he chooses to say in an email that wasn't sent to this board? Regardless of how Bill thinks, if someone is going to post what he said here it should at least be with his authorization. If this had happened then I would be alll over him for being too chicken to do it himself, which would require he deal with real people who might pick apart his viewpoint, but also might help him in his work.What a concept huh? It might be said that is the mark of anyone with a shred of humility and willingness to deal with a larger group that agrees with him....sans the name calling or pointing out people he thinks are responsible even after they get screwed by the org he claims to be fighting.........but then again who am I to say?

The first post shouldn't have ahppened IMO. Its like the nancy park spam...Bill is entitled to his opinion, just like the free xtians are...it doesn't mean I believe them, nor that i want their weekly emails...Wanting any of .that comes through merit or some other proof that they happen to have the right version....AND IF HE BB WANTS US TO HEAR HIS VERSION THEN WE WILL......OTHERWISE GO TO SILENTLAMBS.ORG AND YOU GET ALL THE BILL YOU WANT.......

Leave this board alone with that crap, cuz it just stirs old pots and difuses the real issue which is child molestation and ruining lives.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Farkel
    Farkel

Valis,

I believe I said pretty much the same thing. The only difference was, I was dealing with a person who was talking nonsense.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit