The French... Why do they hate us?

by email 35 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Over the years I went there for business. I was basically on every major airport for travel, and then driven to many other airports where I did my work or consulting. The drive alone was interesting, as many of these men stunk. Then I was eating in small town restaurants, in areas that were not tourist centers. Because my French was poor, almost every single waiter or waitress was rude to me. I guess the difference between us, is I admit American's can be arrogant bastards. Because they can and some countries really hate us. Every time I saw that France was my next destination, I always kind of cringed a bit. Nothing you say, nothing you do and no amount of speech is going to change my mind on the French. The people I met, dealt with and worked with, left that impression and not you. So do not feel that you need to correct my mind, you were not there to know what I saw and I am not going to share all the details in my head to make you feel better. When I hear someone say, "American's are rude", I just let it role off me. Perhaps you should do the same, as I have learned the argument wont change any minds anyway. It's not changing mine. As for the Bush issue. Maybe you could ask the 1000's of service men who died in WW2 freeing the French from the Germans. Maybe they should have just stayed over here and let things work out the way they would? Perhaps the French feel that things will change if you just let it settle, but others see the need to not let terrorist state exist in our world. Why should the French support us? I don't know, maybe a little gratitude. We are debating, or should I say arguing, about a comment I made in jest. To admit the weaknesses of ourselves or nation, shows character. If people make insulting remarks about American's, I can take it. Can you do the same about the French, or are we going to continue on in this argument on and on?

Edited by - whyhideit on 1 February 2003 22:37:34

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Sniff, Sniff

mmmm Mac you do smell good!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Celia,

: They go as tourists to a foreign country and expect everybody to speak english ! and get pissed off if noone understands them ! When you are a guest in another country, you try your best to fit in, and trying to speak the language is one way to do it.

Actually, I've had a number of friends who visited Paris and tried to speak French when they were there. They didn't get stuff right. Perhaps it was the inflections, tones, or they just mis-pronounced words while trying their best to fit it with the "locals." Virtually ALL of them told me the Parisians were dismissive, mocked them, ridiculed them and wouldn't even attempt to help them out.

This is all I know, and yes, that is a generalization. Obviously, I care a great deal about YOU, so I'm not trying to paint all the French with the same broad brush. I've never yet met any American who visited Paris and told me that the Parisians were warm and fuzzy. They ALL said they thought they were rude and insentive American-hating jerks.

Perhaps if and when I get to visit Paris myself, I can give a first hand experience of my adventure to you. I'm an artist and France is a Country which cherishes art and music. Maybe they'll be nice to me.

I had a cab driver who said he was from Paris in San Francisco who drove me around several stops for several hours. He confirmed everything I was told and that I've related to you. He was in MY Country and treated ME like I was a loser, and I was paying him money to do it! That whole cab trip was nothing but his tirades about what losers Americans are. He was making money (MY money) and living in MY Country and telling me we are all a bunch of jerks. Fuck him.

As I said, you are one of the few French people in my own personal experience that are wonderful. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting all of the 65,000,000 people in France, and if I did, I'm sure I would feel differently. I only know the bad stuff. I'm sure there is a lot of good stuff. All people have a lot of good stuff.

Except the radical Arabs, and they all can go to hell.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 2 February 2003 3:39:48

• Celia
    Celia

Whyhideit, I just don't like stupid generalizations.... French people have an odor about them.... Americans do too, after traveling for 12 or 24 hours, it's difficult not to. And the French I know are very thankful for the American soldiers who came to free the country from the Germans. In fact, all the French I know love Americans and are not so fond of the Germans....

Farkel, You're right about the Parisians.... Most native Parisians are snobs and look down on everybody who is not a Parisian, and not just people from other countries, but also French people from other parts of France... OK, now we can recycle this thread Do you need an interpreter on your next trip to France
    Peace !

Edited by - Celia on 2 February 2003 8:12:31

• Englishman
    Englishman

I have been to France many times and find them to be just fine, once you are outside of the cities. Parisians are mosquitos, even real Frenchmen don't care for them too much. La Rochelle is similar.However, once you get into the real France, such as around Cognac and the surrounding villages, you'll find that as long as you at least attempt the language that folk will appreciate it. The mistake is to address people as an object rather than a person. If you look them in the eye, see the person there and smile at the person rather than putting up that great wall of Englishness / Amercaness you will always get a positive result. One way is, especially in shops, is to ask the person there the correct way to pronounce the goods that your purchasing. I once spent several happy hours in Cognac Market Hall being led from stall to stall by a moustachio'd Frenchman who insisted that I learned every single vegetables correct proununciation before he would let me leave.

Englishman.

• Celia
    Celia

EMan : You're absolutely right. The French I know would be delighted to help out Americans during their stay in France. But of course if you act like a pompous jerk who thinks he's better just because he's American, you will have difficulties.... Aaahh... Cognac, what a beautiful part of France that is...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit