The French... Why do they hate us?

by email 35 Replies latest jw friends

• email
    email

We've been talking about this lately on this board... This is yet another article from msn.com.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2077874/

"Much of the French opposition to American power arose after the fall of the Soviet Union made the United States the only power in a unipolar world: According to one poll, the percentage of the French who viewed the United States "with sympathy" dropped from 54 to 35 percent between 1988 and 1996. But French grumbling over U.S. power predates the end of the Cold War, too. As Philip H. Gordon outlined in the National Interest in 2000 (during the Clinton administration), "resentment and frustration" have marked French-American relations since the end of World War II. "

"But history is at the core of the tensions between France and America. Donald Rumsfeld's comment last week about "old Europe" was telling: Americans see France as akin to Portugal, a once-great power now in decline. But as part of its own "special relationship" with the United States, France refuses to cede the world stage to the Americans. French identity is similar to American identityFrance sees itself as a great nation worthy of power, the birthplace of democracy, and a culture and system of government that the world would be wise to emulate."

Like the article stated... I think it's resentment, envy and frustration that France is no longer the World Power they used to be. IMHO

Edited by - email on 31 January 2003 19:17:38

• ISP
    ISP

i don't think the French hate anyone. Just a moody lot.

ISP

• Crazy151drinker
  • Francois
    Francois

OH, I think the French do indeed hate us for the reasons mentioned, and for others as well.

Before the start of WWII, the French had the largest standing army in the world. Right under the noses of this army, Hitler marched his under-armed forces into the Rhineland. The French did nothing. If the French had thrown the Germans out of the Rhineland right then and there, Hitler would have been seen as a failed adventurer by his generals and would have been thrown out by them - so said all the surviving generals of the German army after WWII and by many historians. This national guilt must find a target, and it's us.

Additionally, when the French surrendered - as they so frequently do - it was the invasion at Normandy and the subsequent removal of Germany from France by the allies, led by the US that freed France. Instead of thanking us, they return the favor of our saving their sorry asses by despising us. To that I say "Hail LaFayette, Screw You DeGaulle."

francois

• JH
    JH

Maybe they don't hate us, but they seem to be tired of being led by us. They want to be boss in their little corner of the world(europe). They don't see the Soviet Union as a threat anymore, so they don't have to be protected anymore by the US. They are acting more independent than ever.

Edited by - jh on 1 February 2003 7:8:22

• Realist
    Realist

email,

stop making such generalizations.....THE french do not exist....they are 55 million people with as diverse opinions as THE american or THE british or THE germans etc.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Additionally, when the French surrendered - as they so frequently do -

Aside from 1940 and (to an extent) 1870 when have the French frequently surrendered? They fought bravely and suffered terribly in the First World War, which I believe, is why they were less than enthusiastic for a repeat in 1940.

• heathen
    heathen

I think we can blame it all on Peter Sellers and the pink panther. lol

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

What I don't understand is why we feel the need to have everyone in the world agree with us. I hear people saying the French are acting in their own interest with this Iraq thing. Gee spanky, guess what? So are we. As soon as a country stands up against our policies we do everything we can to vilify them. Pretty funny since we have a buttload of hypocrites in this country.

• Mac
    Mac

Because we smell good!!!!!!!!!!

mac, sniff me it's true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit