Cain Killed Abel

by Windchaser 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Abel. He loved Cain, he took care of Cain. Cain would fall into a lake and pretend he was drowning. Abel would rush in to save his brother. He was always saving Cain. And Cain would let him.

But Cain hated Abel. He knew that Abel was better than he was. Abel had God's spirit. He spoke to God. He would look and see good inside himself because he had the spirit of God. But, Cain was busy tending his fields. He was more handsome than Abel. He was strong and tanned from his hard labor, sweating over those fields. The women loved him. His guilt-ridden parents would take care of him all the time and Cain let them.

Abel, the quiet one...the one who lent a helping hand, the one who spoke gently and reminded those he loved about the goodness of God. The one tending his sheep on the high hill and knew the voices of each one of his sheep. He would cry, hard and bitterly, about how things could have been. He was so sad that sometimes he wanted to die. There was always an emptiness deep inside him.

Abel's goodness made Cain very jealous. He didn't want to be like Abel, yet something inside him wished he could be. And he became angry and hated Abel.

Cain brought his offering to God. Cain was proud of his offering. He was the first-born and worked hard in the field. He came strutting with his offering.

Abel had killed a perfect lamb. He was full of sadness for the way the earth had become. Everything was dying all around him. He loved listening to the stories his parent's told him about the time before they had to leave Eden. It was all so real to him. So, he gave the best of his flock to tell God that he was sorry for all these things happening around him. And God had respect for Abel's offering.

And Cain became so full of wrath that he brought Abel out in the field. And Cain killed Abel.

• larc
    larc

Now, I would call this a dysfunctional family. First off, Eve believes in a talking snake. She has only one rule to follow, don't eat from one cotton picken tree. Can she follow that one simple rule? Nooooooo. Then Adam, who is supposed to be the head of the house, I mean head of the garden, agrees with her, and he eats. So they get booted out of Paradise, with marines, I mean angels with spinning swords to keep them out. So, now they have two sons, and Cain kills his brother. Now, this is not the kind of news you want to see in your local paper about your family. Well, for being perfect, Adam and his wife sure did get us off to a bad start as a species.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Abels God just would rather have blood offerings than offerings of vegetable and grain. Hes a meat eater.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Why did God allow Abel to be killed?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I can just hear Cain now

'Everybody loves Abel'

hahahhahhahaha

Ven

Edited by - VeniceIT on 31 January 2003 9:48:21

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

And what does this entire story say about Grandpa God?!!!! Refusing one grandkid over another -

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Abel the pious carnivore; Cain the troubled vegetarian. When Cain saw that YHWH preferred Abel's bloody offering to the firstfruits of his harvest, he snapped. Whether he just wanted to do to Abel what Abel had done to the lamb, or he was upset at the bloodthirsty savagery of his god, his anger got the better of him.
    YHWH knowing what Cain would do, let it happen and when the deed was done he cursed Cain, compounding the misery he had caused.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

The story of Cinderella has a similar metaphor.

I think that the Cain and Abel story tells about what happened in heaven. I started thinking about this because God didn't kill Cain when he murdered Abel. He didn't destroy Satan when he murdered Adam and Eve and all the angels that followed him.

Abel let Cain kill him, April. It wasn't an accident. Abel was sad and wanted to die.

God knew what was in Cain's heart and warned him. He didn't 'refuse' Cain, but he knew his heart was full of anger and jealousy. He tried to reason with Cain. God loved Cain.

The perfect world was gone and Abel took the best lambs of his flock and slaughtered them, because he saw clearly how bad the world would be without God. That is why his offering was respected.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think the Society has mentioned several times that Jealousy was the major issue. In light of the information provided in the Scriptures and the Society's publications, it seems to be the likely scenario.

I recall reading that while both were "living the good life" by contemporary standards, they likely became overweight.

We remember that Cain's offering to God was from the land; grains and vegetables. Obviously, he was a vegetarian and ate a diet high in carbohydrates and refined sugars.

Abel's offering was that of animals. He was a herdsman. He tended the sheep and other animals and had access to a lot of animal protein for food.

When both chose to go on a diet, Abel chose the high-fat Atkins diet and reduced his intake of carbohydrates. In keeping with dietary recommendations at the time, he likely developed a daily exercise plan.

However, Cain simply tried to reduce his portion size of carbohydrates including pasta and sugars. But he only stuck to his diet for a couple of weeks.

The result: Cain gained all his weight back and more. But Abel lost weight and lowered his cholesterol. Cain became very jealeous over Abel's losing weight and appearing more attractive to their sisters.

So Cain killed him.

I think we all can learn a powerful lession regarding jealously from the actions of Cain and Abel.

*****Rub a Dub

• simwitness
    simwitness

So, was Cain the founding member of PETA?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit