Cain Killed Abel

by Windchaser 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Valis
    Valis

Winds...I wasn't calling you a Jehoba lover..I was being sarcastic dear.

jo dear...because that's all Jehoba could afford so early in creation...remember, the stock market hadn't been invented yet....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

The story of Cain and Abel parallel a modern story of works vs grace. Just like the two men who went to the temple to pray. One a pharisee religious man, the other a poor sinner who knew of his sinful condition. The religious "righteous man" raised his eyes to heaven and thanked God he was not like the sinner, but did all the law required of him. The sinner wouldnt even look up, but beat on his chest and begged God for mercy and confessed his sinful condition. Who went home justified? The sinner.

Cain=Pictures works religion. Be good, work hard, do all you can do. God will respect your hard work.

Abel=Pictures grace religion. Here is the Lamb Lord, it is all you require. I can not merit your approval. Your Lamb can only do that. A picture of the Son of God,(slain from the foundation of the world Rev. 13:8) the Lamb, who can only take away sin.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hi, Sang, yes I agree about the Pharisee metaphor, but in Cain's case, his offering wasn't exceptable, just like the Pharisee's prayer. Cain worked hard in his fields and the pharisees worked hard at instilling the Law on the people, but they were 'sent away'. Religion with works (jws) will be sent away.

Abel's offering was a sincere act of repentance. He was saddened to his heart about sin. He killed the best of his young flock to show the gravity of his repentance (way before the Law was written). He was in a dying condition and felt alienated from God. He could talk to God, but there was a wall where there hadn't been one and this weighed heavily on his spirit, the spirit he had from God.

Edited by - windchaser on 1 February 2003 16:4:46

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The story of Cain and Abel parallel a modern story of works vs grace.

That would be a reasonable interpretation except that for the four thousand years following this incident, your god had a works-based religion, where he slaughtered people for not following the letter of his laws.

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Once again, showing No flesh is justified by the deeds of the law. God expects perfect obediance. Something nobody could ever produce exept one. Jesus

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Cain Killed Abel

That was just sOooOo mean!

Brummie (of the "understatement " class)

• seven006
    seven006

I find it funny in the myth about the first humans on earth, god needed an animal killed for him to know people loved him. The bible is a horrible book that teaches those who are easily duped to believe it that god demands the taking of a life to show love and respect to him. His mythical son Jesus later in time goes on to depict his followers as being sheep, slaves and so on. It's weird that a sheep is the first animal recorded to be unfortunate enough to be perfect and get his woolly little ass Bar-B Qed to feed the ego of a mythical all loving god who craves death to show love. One hell of a great message to teach our kids.

He later plays the same game with the mythical people Abraham and Isaac "kill your one and only son to show me that you love me," then he says "STOP, sorry, I was just kidding." I would never play this little game of total insanity with my son and his baby daughter. Does this make me more loving, mature, secure and sensible than a good that millions believe in?

It still amazes me that people who claim to believe in a god, can believe such an all loving creator of all things could be this insecure and blood thirsty. Says a lot about religion. No wonder we are on the brink of war. In regard to that myth I have always wondered if god had told Able to go find a perfect fifteen foot tall grizzly bear and sacrifice him to prove his love, Able might have told god to kiss his ass. Sheep are one of the dumbest animals on the planet.

I just can't see one ounce of logic or sanity in any of it.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit