Celebrity JW's - who have you heard of?

by kwijibo 32 Replies latest jw friends

• LFitzwater
    LFitzwater

The Wayens Brothers from "in Living Color" were brought up as dubs. I read an article interviewing one of them and he talked about his abusive JW father.

• gumby
    gumby

Gary busey is currently working at bethel as a PR spokesman

• Matty
    Matty

These need confirmation as I can't find any reference to either:

• William De Vaughn, who had a hit with "Be Thankful For What You've Got" back in the 70's, gave up music to come in "da troof".
    • Joao & Astrud Gilberto, who teamed up with Stan Getz in the 60's to make a string of hit records, notably " The Girl From Ipanema"
  • Mulan
    Mulan

Gary Busey? Cicely Tyson?

Confirmation please.

• gumby
    gumby

Gary Busey?

Come on mulan...........consider the source.LOL

• LB
    LB

Here is Halle Berry commenting at a watchtower study

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

who sang that song, crystal blue persuasion? Isn't he a dub. Probably already mentioned...

Also one of the chicks from saved by the bell, the one skreach liked, Lisa I think.

• Makena1
    Makena1

truthseeker - you are referring to Tommy James & the Shondells.

I could be wrong, but I do not think Tommy James was ever a witness - and it may have been another JW urban myth that Crystal Blue Persuation referred the little blue book, "The Truth that leads to Eternal Life".

Other JW music celebs that I know of and met at one time or another:

George Benson

Wayne Henderson and Wilton Felder - of the Jazz Crusaders aka Crusaders

One or two members of Paul Revere and the Raiders

Reynolds of Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds - when Reynolds left, it changed to Hamilton, Joe Frank and Dennison.

Johnny Carson had witnesses working on his show, but I highly doubt he ever became a witness.

There were a couple of pro and college football players who briefly attended a KH I went to in LA in the 70's.

Bernadette Swan (ex wife of Lynn Swan who played for the Steelers) attend our KH - at the time she was dating Randy Jackson. Very pretty lady. This might be a pic of her

One of Richard Pryor's wives also attended for awhile. Very young lady - unfortunately used to beat the crap out of her 2 year old son for acting up during the meetings.

There are some lesser known jazz musicians that I met in the LA area - can't recall names at the moment.

All best,

Mak

Edited by - Makena1 on 30 January 2003 14:58:42

Edited by - Makena1 on 30 January 2003 14:59:22

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Let's re emphasise the name of one of the most innovative guitar players who influenced everybody of 60's on, Hank Marvin of "THE SHADOWS" , my boy hood hero. Active in the U K as a J W many years and regular at Twick.

The Shadows one time bass player Brian Locking , left the group to pioneer.

The Shadows drummer Brian Bennett, I was told on good authority has family connections and was once dub.

(Cliff Richard ,of course went the other way into mainstream Christianity and incurred the derision of dubs to this day )

Dropping now into the rumour mill. I heard it said that 70's soul duo Womack & Womack were "Brothers". Does anybody know anything?

Does anybody remember a song recorded in the late 70's - 80's , perhaps Teddy Prendergast? It was based on the "Kingdom Theme" and quoted scriptures and seemed lifted from the Truth Book? I dont think I dreamed it.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

That actress from SBTB is Lark Voorhies. I have read that she's a JW on other sites. That lady who was best friends with Nicole Brown and went on all the talk shows during the OJ trial some years back. I cannot think of her name. I read her bio and she mentioned she was raised a Jehovah's Witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit