Celebrity JW's - who have you heard of?

by kwijibo 32 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I just typed in Nicole Brown's friend into google.com and found it: Faye Resnick!

• Stacey
    Stacey

Little group that had a popular song in the mid 90's called the New Radicals. He was born & raised a jdub. You can hear some of it in his lyrics for sure. Good stuff.

• Buster
    Buster

Woman that died recently: The star of the 70's TV show "Get Christie Love"

My congregation had the former Cowboy's receiver, Drew Pearson's brother, Sam. - Does that count?

• kelpie
    kelpie

Heyyyyy kwijibo

Welcome Aboard!

Another Fellow Aussie!!!! The aussies ones are slowly slowly growing in numbers... lets get more aboard I say..!!!

Where are you from kw???

Send me an email.. I am organising a "get together" in Sydney and Melbourne on the 15th March.

Would love for you to come along...

Cant wait to hear from you....

• Makena1
    Makena1

Bluesbrother wrote: Dropping now into the rumour mill. I heard it said that 70's soul duo Womack & Womack were "Brothers". Does anybody know anything?

Its very possible. My only connection/knowledge of the Womack's:

Back in the early 80's, again LA area, Cecil Womack (not Bobby) was married to Mary Wells ( of Motown fame- My Guy, Two Lovers, You Beat me to the PUnch ) An elder in our KH,music producer was producing a "comeback" album of sorts with Mary. She and Cecil Womack showed up for the memorial celebration. Cecil partook of the emblems much to the consternation of the attendants. Sadly, a year or so later, Mary Wells died of throat cancer. She smoked heavily. I enjoyed meeting her, hanging out in the studio, and playing some original music I had written.

Bottom line, don't know if the Womack brothers were ever JW's - but at least I know that one of them attended a KH.

Memories,

Mak

• jws
    jws

I think everyone's mentioned the ones I can think of.

I've heard from JW friends in the Minneapolis area that Morris Day (of the Time, songs Jungle Love and the Bird) was a JW, or at least his mother was and he'd been seen at assemblies. I've also heard he's Prince's cousin. If that's true, the JWs in the family may explain why Prince converted.

I also remember a Watchtower or Awake article about some pro basketball player in the NBA who quit the game to get more involved as a JW - don't know his name though. I think the article was from the mid-late 80's.

Randy White (I think that was his name) was a guitarist for the Skunks and was in our congregation. He eventually dropped out though. The Skunks were a sorta-famous band in the 60's and were one of two bands who recorded Elvira right after it was written and a long time before the Oak Ridge Boys made it famous.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

For all the Aussies, I heard Peter Brock famous racing car driver, and his wife are Dubs now

• gumby
    gumby

Charels Manson is now serving as a District Overseer in San Dimas California.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I also remember a Watchtower or Awake article about some pro basketball player in the NBA who quit the game to get more involved as a JW - don't know his name though. I think the article was from the mid-late 80's.
    That would have been David Meyer, a center who was a star player for the Milwaukee Bucks. He turned down a $1 million contract (which was big money back then) to concentrate on being a JW.

Also Tom Edur of the Edmonton Oilers hockey club left pro sports to concentrate on being a JW. His life story appeared in an Awake!

• kwijibo
    kwijibo

Kelpie, thanks for the welcome and the invitation but i have enough issues to deal with at home without creating more (sorry don't mean to be rude).

I am really enjoying reading the posts on here and am always amazed at the stories that come out that you never hear at the hall - if only the witnesses could be honest with each other and say what they are thinking rather than 'following the right thing to do' path.

Thanks, kwiji.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit