Legalize ALL Drugs. Yes or No?

by SpannerintheWorks 83 Replies latest jw friends

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

I thought it would be interesting to get a cross-sectional view of your opinions on whether all drugs (LSD, heroin, cocaine, etc.) should

be legalized so that they then became freely available to the general population, in the same way that alcohol and tobacco are

presently.

Spanner

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Frankly, weed would be good enough.

ash

• happyout
    happyout

No.

I do believe that some "recreational" drugs should be legalized for tax and safety purposes. Marijuana, for instance, is no more dangerous than alcohol. What is dangerous is the money and energy put into keeping this drug "illegal", as well as the lives lost in gang wars over territory, etc.

However, dangerous drugs that alter a person's behavior too much, and can cause lasting immediate damage, should not be legal. LSD, and heroin are too dangerous to allow them to be used by the general population.

Just MHO.

Good question.

• dubla
    dubla

Marijuana, for instance, is no more dangerous than alcohol. What is dangerous is the money and energy put into keeping this drug "illegal", as well as the lives lost in gang wars over territory, etc.

amen.

aa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Legal, but dispensed by licensed physicians.

A person should not be able to pickup drugs like heroin from a seven-eleven. These drugs are very powerful and addictive and their use needs to be monitored by a doctor. A doctor will also be able to control doses and educate people on their safe use, which will help prevent over doses. Granted, overdoses cannot be completely prevented. A doctor could tell a person not to take more than X amount, but the person will go home and take twice that much.

Having a system in place like this will also help people who are prone to addiction get the help they need instead of destroying their lives even more by throwing them in jail.

There will also need to be in place laws similar to the "dont drink and drive" and "public intoxication" laws only they will apply to these drugs. People will also need to be held fully accountable for their actions while under the influence of these drugs, as is with alcohol.

Doing these things will greatly reduce crime and problems with gangs. It will also save billions of dollars a year by getting rid of the war of drugs. Instead of these drugs draining the government budgets, they could be taxed and actually increase revenue that will then be directed to helping people with addiction problems.

If not these things, then at least have pot available... not in the "weed" form, but as inhalers and foods. An inhaler (like used for asthma) will be far safer and less harmful to the lungs than smoking.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 29 January 2003 13:59:48

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Definitely legalize weed (and I don't use it).

Having the legal system tied up with someone growing some pot in their back yard is crazy. I would treat it like alcohol. You can grow a small amount in your home for prsonal use or buy it legally. That way, it would be taxed and money put INTO law enforcement instead of using those same resources to fight it.

*****RubaDub

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes.

It would stop gang wars. It would let them continue to do business, but they would have to compete w others. People could be educated about results of abusing dangerous/powerful drugs.

Vast numbers of prisoners would be set free. Vast govt beaurocracy, executive and enforcement, would go unemployed. They wouldn't like it, but think of govt savings that would result.

SS

• qwerty
    qwerty

I second Happyout.

Qwerty

• JH
    JH

I don't think so.

• Simon
    Simon

The long-tem health effects of marijuana are not known. Calling it 'safe' is just guesswork or wishful thinking.

Just because existing dangerous drugs like tobacco and alcohol have been legalised is hardly a good case for legalising all of them. I think more could be done to stop the trade in drugs by helping the farmers grow profitable crops for instance. Currently, the only way they can survive is by growing drugs.

Also, a lot of people's jobs depend on the 'war against drugs' so I am not convinced that they do all they can to stop it. Just enough to get more funding ...

I'd prefer that they stayed illegal. There are enough problems in society without having drugged up addicts everywhere and there are enough problems caused by existing mild drugs.

Ya hippies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit