Veitnam Quiz

by Yerusalyim 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

1. True or false. The conflict in veitnam was a civil war between the North and South that the US intervened in unjustly.

2. Do Veitnam veterans have a slightly higher rate of drug and acohol addiction than their non vet peers? Yes every Viet Nam vet I know had an addiction problem.

3. True or false. Attrocities like the My Lai incident were fairly common in Veitnam.

4. True or false. The famous photo of the little girl running down HWY 1 naked and burnt shows the result of American use of napalm in Veitnam.

5. What percentage of those who served in Veitnam were draftees? 80%

6. True or false. The poor and middle class bore the brunt of the fighting in Nam while the rich and privelege generally received deferments. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush to name 2

7. True or false. The US forces in Veitnam committed more war crimes and attrocities than in any other US war.

8. True or false. Veitnam Veterans are generally less successful in civilian careers than their non-vet counter parts.

9. True or false. Veitnam Vets had a harder time adjusting to civilian life than service veterans of the Veitnam era who did not serve in Nam.

10. True or false. The famous photo of the Saigon Cheif of Police executing a VC captive is an accurate demonstration of the brutal regime the US supported in Nam.

11. True or false. Veitnam Vets suffer from a higher rate of "battle fatigue" or "shell shock" than their counterparts from earlier wars.

12. True or false. From 1967 to 1970 the US was responsible for 20,000 civilian deaths in South Veitnam.

13. True or false. The Bombing of Hanoi in 1970 killed 10,000 N Veitmanese civilians.

14. True of false. The average veitnam vet had one year of college before entering the service.

15. True or false. In realtion to their percentage of the population at large, black and hispanics had a higher rate of casualty in veitnam than their white counter parts.

16. True or false. Rich neighborhoods like Belmont, Chevy Chase, and Great Neck had a slightly higher percentage it's youth die in Veitnam than the country at large.

17. True or false. Overall, troops in Veitnam had a higher incident of drug usage than did their service counterparts who did not serve in Nam.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Did any of you know that 50000 Australian troops served in Vietnam as well.

Yep, I knew it. One is a good friend of mine. He is messed up mentally because of that war. Same as my American friends that served. The ones that are still alive. Many of them are dead now.

Yeru, I know that you would like for us to believe your latest propaganda but all the men that I know that went to Viet Nam got into drugs while they were there and continued the drugs when they got back.

Robyn

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Funny thing, Robyn, when I was there, I didn't get into drugs. In fact, those that I knew who did do drugs brought the habit with them.

But, what do I know?

It appears you have fallen prey to the real propaganda about it.

Lew W

• Robdar
    Robdar

Dakota,

I have known many Viet Nam vets. All of them started smoking ganja while they were there. Dropping acid too. As a matter of fact, one of the guys is a radio talent (DJ) that I worked with. He was also a DJ in Viet Nam. He told me that the Vietnamese used to bring them girls and the biggest buds he has ever seen just to use some of the power from their generators. He is still a lush.

Back when I used to party, we looked forward to his arrival at the party because of his dope. Just because you didn't smoke dope doesnt mean that others didn't. Every single Viet Nam Vet that I have ever met--except one has had either a drug or alcohol or both problem. They still do or have been in rehab for it. Those that are still alive. I know several that have killed themselves.

I am glad that you and your buddies did better.

But, what do I know?

Red, nobody said that you didn't know anything. Or are you implying that I don't? If that's the case, spit it out.

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 31 January 2003 3:47:10

Edited by - robdar on 31 January 2003 3:51:31

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Robyn, not meant to be insulting to you, but maybe you hung out with the crowd that did do drugs. As for all of them starting there, when I was in Basic Training and AIT, there were regular inspections seeking drugs, all long before I ever went to Vietnam. Drugs were rampant in society then, not just in Vietnam.

Yes, I smoked pot a couple times there, but smoked it far more before going over there. Still, I really didn't do that much. Yes, we had guys do drugs, in base camp. Some thought they were taking cocaine, since it was thought to be non-addicitve then, but in reality, it was between 60% and 80% pure heroin.

Anyone who told you they started acid there, I would hold them very suspect. Not once did I ever see it while there, although I saw other drugs. Most drugs available, besides marijuana, were, Opium, morphine, binoctal (which is amytal and seconal) and of course, heroin.

Drug use by military personnel was not unique to Vietnam. Opium use was widespread among troops sent to the Philippines in the late 1800s. It became such a problem that the American Pharmaceutical Association did a Report of the Committee on Acquirement of Drug Habits noting that soldiers had acquired the habit from Chinese and Filipino natives. This was in 1903.

As noted in the page I posted earlier, drug useage by those who served in Vietnam was no greater than those who didn't serve, in that time. Of those that I knew that did use hard drugs, we did what we could to help them off, quietly. While they used them, we didn't trust them to watch our backs. Yes, I imagine there were some that did start drugs there, but not on the scale that you were taught.

I am currently in correspondence with nearly 300 men I served with. We exchange stories and old times. Not one is using drugs and not one ever did anything beyond pot, if anything at all. Where I work, a small Dodge dealership of approximately 70 personnel, there are six I know of who served in Vietnam. Not one did drugs. There is also a woman there who lost her husband, also a Vietnam vet, to cancer a few years ago. He too didn't do drugs.

Yes, there were drugs there, but the notion that the vast majority of those who served there got hooked on drugs, is a myth, it just isn't so. Many have claimed it and many of them, when pressed, never even served in Vietnam. Just ask to see some DD-214's sometimes and see what cock and bull stories you get from some. That is your official military discharge paper, something all veterans hang on to for their military benefits. If it says RVN on it, then they served. If they claim theirs was lost due to the fire in St. Louis many years ago, they are full of crap, as that fire destroyed WW2 records and nearly all of them have been restored.

On another note, the biggest problem I have had since coming back was trying to figure out why I wasn't as screwed up as the leftist media said I was supposed to be. Ever notice when they film any veterans event, they focus the cameras on the small contingent of veterans who show up in faded jungle fatigues and not on the vast majority wearing suits and ties? Movies like Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Rambo, A Rumor of War, Deer Hunter and the likes did a great disservice to us veterans as they depicted a falsehood, but have become accepted as truth, by many, especially Holloywood.

No, it wasn't pretty nor much fun. But the simple fact is, although mistreated by our fellow countrymen upon return, we have been just as productive and well adjusted members of society as veterans of any other conflict. WW2 vets suffered the same fate, but on a smaller scale, prompting the making of the movie, "The Best Years of their Lives," in the later 1940s.

What you classify as "propaganda" by Yeru, is truth and documented truth. I imagine you have met many veterans and didn't even know they were veterans, but listened to the few that either wished to fake service or the few that did indeed suffer trauma. We are just people that did our duty as we saw it and stand proud today, although many still try to classify us as dope crazed baby killers. That, is the real propaganda.

Lew W

• Robdar
    Robdar

That is your official military discharge paper, something all veterans hang on to for their military benefits. If it says RVN on it, then they served. If they claim theirs was lost due to the fire in St. Louis many years ago, they are full of crap, as that fire destroyed WW2 records and nearly all of them have been restored

Red, since I have actually wondered about a couple of these guys and the stories that they have told me, I thank you for the above information. I will keep this in mind the next time I hear similar stories.

Yes, I used to be a party person and that may be why I met so many vets that were drug users. I guess I have judged by what I have seen. But still, I have known many that are messed up, some that still have nightmares about Nam and I know 3 vets that have killed themselves. A couple have died from cancer. It seemed like for a while there, I was meeting all these Viet Nam vets. I havent made any new Viet Nam vet acquaintances in many years.

although many still try to classify us as dope crazed baby killers

BTW, I have never believed any of that propaganda nonsense.

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 31 January 2003 5:1:48

• Realist
    Realist

Farkel,

you are a funny guy....can you contribute any facts to the discussion instead of making pointless personal attacks?

you trust your president Bush??? you think he and all other pres. are goodhearted people who want to help the world? and you say i am out of touch with reality?

Yeru,

do i get this right...you really think the main US agenda is to try to help people around the world?

• mike047
    mike047

Dakota, Robyn; I don't doubt either of your experiences.

Mine is somewhere between the two.

I have personally sat down and smoked large quantities of pot with fighter pilots[Top Gun types]. These guys were fresh out of the Academy and in training. They smoked frequently. Once we were interrupted by their XO[a CDR], I don't think anything was ever said because nothing to my knowledge came of it.

In my experience, I at different times worked in the maint. of fighter aircraft, most of the enlisted[e-7 and below] were drug users of one type or the other. Many times I saw people take "acid", [orange barrels were popular then] and then engage in the launch and recovery of aircraft on carrier flight decks[A VERY dangerous place,even when everything went well]. Seconol[ RED DEVILS] were also popular as was Hashish. Thai stics were a fovorite when available and cheap[ a fist full cost about $1 and would make you see Jesus in technicolor, great stuff].

In my last assignment, one fellow I worked with carried his daily supply of pot in and out the main gate in a brown grocery bag. Alway had a pound or so. He went on to become a highly sucessful recruiter. They had started "piss" testing people by then, only problem with this was any one over 30[or comissioned] was exempt. Lucky me!!!

My life, personally, was a mess. Although a drug user/abuser, Alcohol was my preference. It was legal and morally acceptable to the service, and in some instances...Encouraged.

There are many different situations to be looked at. You are both correct and there are many stories inbetween.

Mike{of the presently clean and sober class]

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Realist,

I think the US now, as then, had a wide variety of agendas for doing what it does and do. Sometimes business interests have figured in to that agenda, sometimes, it was purely reaching out and helping. I offer Somalia, Bosnia, and Kosovo as an example.

I definetely make no claims that the motives of the US government during Vietnam was pure. The Gulf of Tonkien "incident" is proof positive that the public was misled (By the democrats no less). However, to claim that SOLDIERS aren't fighting for their country is silly.

What else are we doing this for. I make about $31,000 a year after 14 years of service. Sounds like a lot to some people, but when you factor in that from 1996-2000 I was seperated from my family for about a two year period or longer, that I served in hazardous duty zones, that I was up to my knees in mud and muck part of that time, that I was often responsible for the lives of 50 or 60 people, plus some pretty expensive equipment, that more than a few times I worked 48 hour days during that time...well, I could go on and on...we aren't doing this for the money. We do it because of a commitment to our country.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

i absolutely believe the soldiers think they fight for their country. i am sure you do it because you are convinced its the right thing to do ...that you fight for freedom and peace and to defend america against evil enemies.

in reality US soldiers fight for the interests of a few lobbyists in washington. peaceful trade relationships with most enemy states would be far better for your country...but the oil, weapon, food lobbies etc. wouldn't make the same profits as they do currently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit