What happens to the dead?

by czarofmischief 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• showme
    showme

Your self and Rem could be a lawers. You would probally do very well. Your constant insistance on hard factual evidence is a good thing in a quest for answers. If it wern't for people with this attitude we might still believe the world to be flat. unfortunately, disagreing the point that I don't believe science will ever be able to prove or disprove an after life is its self an opinion. When picking apart anothers words, involving phrases like psudo-star trek and christian urban legend are effective in making anothers opinion seem less intellegent. Disagrements can lead to healthy changes in opinion. But, Belief in a superior life force, and life after death are still at this point opinion based. Just to clarify though, Yes, I do think that soul enrgy could be described as mystical.

• rem
    rem

Showme,

Your self and Rem could be a lawers.

Hey, that could be considered an insult!

Funky and I do get on people at times, but it's usually only when they make testable claims as evidence for their beliefs instead of realizing that their beliefs are not really backed by evidence, but are based on faith alone.

In the interest of checking out both sides of a story (Proverbs 18:17) you might consider picking up a great book that talks about such mysterious phenomenon and the scientific explanations behind them. The book is called Demon Haunted World, by Carl Sagan. This is one of my favorite books - Sagan is a great writer and explainer of weird phenomenon. There are other books that are very good as well, but they tend to be more technical.

Here is a list of some other good books on the subject:

Why People Believe Weird things, Michael Shermer

Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, Terence Hines

In Search of the Light, Susan Blackmore

How to think about Weird Things, Theodore Schick, Jr., Lewis Vaughn

rem

Edited by - rem on 28 January 2003 15:34:35

• showme
    showme

It was a compliment actually. But yeah , could go both ways eh. Seriously though I didn't mean any insult, your obviously both very intellegent folks. I was looking at Susan Blackmore's web sight after you mentioned her. Pretty interesting. I remember my Mom having Sagan's books when I was growing up. Thank you for the list. I'll put them on the to do list. Lots of work with school now doesn't leave much time for extra, but I am sure they will be interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit