Are you angry for having been a JW?

by Half banana 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

Recently I have experienced lots of intense anger here are some reasons.

Finding out about the 'quote mining' and using it as suedo - evidence for god's existence in the 'evolution or creation' book... I just looked at the first chapter and searched out all the references, then the anger got so overwhelming I had to stop before the 'cardiac arrest'

The biggest one though was finding out about all the other 'end of the world' predictions even before 1914, and then post 1914 predictions, and the fake 607 date.... which made me realise that the whole 'truth' that was hanging upon 1919 and Jesus apparently finding the FDS distributing truth could not have possibly happened.... and seeing that for me 1914 was the linchpin upon which I believed everything.... EVERYTHING I EVER BELIEVED WAS FALSE, AND I GAVE 30 YEARS OF MY GOD DAMN LIFE FOR THIS... so yeah... quite a bit of anger here, but I understand it's part of the process so I just sit with it and am grateful I found out before I wasted more years..

• The Rebel
    The Rebel
    X

TTWSYF:-

You were never a J.W so I hope I get and understand your anger. I think I understand how you can blame the W.T for taking your brother and extended family from you.

As you say J.Ws don't celebrate Xmas.I think I can imagine how you wished for Christmas with your now converted brother and extended family. But each year when it doesn't happen and he and his extended family aren't there for the good food and wine, should you blame the W.T?

Is that fair?

Your brother obviously had his reasons to join the W.T. ( I respectively say this because maybe if it wasn't the W.T it would be something else.)

What is my point? My guess is that people who are converted to become J.Ws have reasons why they want to believe what they believe. Maybe they need be isolated from the world? Maybe they are idealists,? maybe they have a spiritual need? What ever the reason, my guess is if it wasn't the W.T it would have been something else.

Sorry if my post appears harsh and insensitive?

Please don't loose courage today as the sunsets your brother may be awakening.When that sunrise happens ( and it will, if not today,another morning) you will have that great Xmas.

The Rebel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm sometimes angry.

Doesn't happen too often, though, because unlike a lot of people here, I wasn't hurt by the Org nearly as much as they were (hardly at all, if I'm being honest).

Another way that I was lucky, I suppose.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

I made my own choices, and quite frankly I had a great childhood. People need to take ownership of their decisions. Nobody had a gun to our head.

Also, I saw ex-witnesses outside a convention with placards and literal bags over their heads and they were chanting and screaming non-sense. I would never want to be associated with those nuts. They were even worse and nuttier than witnesses.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Nobody had a gun to our head.

I felt that God did when I was a Witness and said this several times through the years.

Am I angry? No I don't think so. I'm disappointed.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I haven't read all the previous posts but my take is that the org is a 10-15 year deal, did my time, gained some Bible knowledge and benefited from the high moral standards ( values ) which I was always naturally drawn to anyways. Helped me to break from addictions and questionable business practices thereby avoiding legal troubles. But the constant control and intrusion into my privacy led me to burn out. Back then I went along and acted as a yes man extrovert for a while to gain a certain measure of freedom but went against my nature and wore me down to a shadow of how I really was / am. Happy to now be completely out and faded. If anything I'm angry at myself for being such a pushover at times and if it were to do over again would of stood up for myself more.

If you don't run your own life somebody else will !

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Mad Irishman - "I saw ex-witnesses outside a convention with placards and literal bags over their heads and they were chanting and screaming non-sense. I would never want to be associated with those nuts. They were even worse and nuttier than witnesses."

I remember those guys; some of 'em were really over-the-top.

You're right; they did more to reinforce the "mentally diseased" stereotype than anything Morris has ever said.

The XJW community has definitely come a long way since then (with the exception of guys like Rick Fearon).

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I struggle with this question because while I'm extremely angry for what happened to us as JW's and how it has basically ruined my daughters childhood and destroyed our relationships with practically everyone we knew. I also have good memories and a wonderful husband who I never would have met if I was never a JW.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes, I'm angry.

First of all, angry at myself so being so damn gullible and stupid enough to fall for it all FOR YEARS.

And I'm angry at whoever is the "man behind the curtain" at WT HQ. I'm not convinced that the GB are anything but a bunch of delusional believers, but I feel certain that SOMEONE there knows that it's a a huge pile of BS.

WT is one huge pile of sh*t!

Shouldn’t we show the Jdubs just how angry we are to have been deceived by the WTS?

No, never!

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

Even when things are not all rosy and wonderful, I would never let a JW acquaintance know it. They expect that your life will go to sh*t when you leave/fade. If you allow them to think that is what happens, it just reinforces their thinking.

Doc

• Twitch
    Twitch

No, I don't feel anger anymore at being a JW, at Christianity or religion in general. I spent too many years being angry and resentful and the only person that was affected was myself, sometimes to my detriment. The people and entities I was angry with don't give a shit anyways.

Anger is a natural response to being lied to and manipulated, and a part of the healing process. As my psychologist (may he rest in peace) said many years ago, "Anger is a good motivator and useful in forging new directions but not necessarily a healthy long term practice. It tends to feed upon itself and over time, one may forget the original reason for being angry. It also may prevent one from healing and moving on"

It's better to forge a new life and be content, not as revenge (which seems contradictory) but rather more to enjoy the time we have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit