How Do You Feel About President Bush?

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

::: Watching The State of the Union Address :::

This is like watching bad acting.

• minimus
    minimus

Poll Boy... I like that one, Reborn! Now, I thought you were going to "ignore" me. You can respond to my inane questions but I cannot do so on your threads. Perhaps, the issues you raise are issues that have been brought up time and again. Maybe, that's why nobody has felt the need to go at it with you. Maybe you take yourself a little too seriously. Come down to my table and play nice.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Reborn2002, would you have been disappointed had Bush been the one at the short end of the stick in the electoral college squeeze? Somehow, I suspect your indignation is more centered on the fact that Gore lost. I'm sure you'd love the "obsolete system" had Gore come out the winner . And no, I'm not a frothing at the mouth Republican, hell, I'm not even a Republican . (Now, the U.S. Supreme Court deciding the election was another issue. Of course, the Florida Supreme Court also got it wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right. Justices Souter and Breyer were the only 2 clear thinkers, IMO.)

If I had actually voted in the last election, I would have voted for Ralph Nader since I'm from New York and Gore won the state easily. But if I were in a "swing state", I'd have voted for Gore. For all the folks that said the Democrats and Republicans are the same, get real. Do you really think crap legislation like the Patriot Act would have been proposed by Albert Gore? Do you think we'd be embarking on a superfluous war under the Democrats (well, that would depend, I guess) ? Hell, I don't even agree with much of Nader's platform, but his main point about cleaning up the corporate influence in government is a very valid issue that neither party will ever probably really address.

As far as Bush goes, he has his strong points and plenty of things I disagree with. I think what he wants to do with education is laudible. Holding schools to a high standard is good, and if the (mostly Democrat run) urban schools can't get their act together, then parents should have choices. Sure, the separation of church and state line gets a little too blurry for my liking (and Bush probably wants religious vouchers as some kind of repayment to his supporters), but if in the end this improves the education of the children, then so be it. Whatever the public schools are and have been doing obviously isn't working, so maybe a little "competition" for funds will make them get serious. There are other issues I agree with him on, but as I mentioned earlier, I disagree with his war on Iraq (though I was OK with Afghanistan), and his whole presuppositionalist argument about Iraq having WMD. If asked about a Chinese WMD program, we could probably get a straight answer on some facts, but with Iraq, all I seem to be hearing is a "trust us on this". If actual real evidence is provided, and not just "they could make weapons at the backs of vans" nonsense, then I'd probably change my mind.

So, in spite of any goodwill I might have for Dubya, I'd never vote for him as president. Any president would capably handle a real threat to national security, but most would do better than rob us of civil liberties, give more money to the rich and disregard the environment.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Robdar & Aztec - I love Evolvefish, it's one of my absolute favourite sites. Keep checking back because they are always adding new stuff. :D

• minimus
    minimus

Now, even Nelson Mandela hates Bush. Poor, poor Bush.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit