Does the Watchtower have an official position on Alcoholics Anonymous?

by JeffT 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I ask because I'm working in a 28 day residential addiction treatment center and one of my co-workers is studying with the JW's. He does not know I'm an XJW. I suspect that at some point they're going to tell him he can't go to AA meetings anymore. Could get interesting.

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

I had a friend who was disfellowshipped twice for his alcoholism, he credits the aa for him getting sober and still attends weekly even tho he's back in the org, it's like a spin off religion to him, he even met Ozzy Osborne at one of the meetings! , so he's a super zealous jw who attends aa meetings with no problems between the two.... That's my 2 cents

• dozy
    dozy

There isn't an official policy as such but as we know the Society frowns on any self help or charitable organisation, believing that the 'truth' has already the answers and provides all the necessary help. I know some JWs have spoken negatively about some of the elements of AA.

The main problem would be some elder or his bible study conductor expressing a strong personal view but hopefully most will realise that AA is benefiting him.

• stillin
    stillin

Normalfulla, Ozzie wants to remain anonymously sober. We should respect that.I've gone to several meetings with friends and encountered a few people from around town that surprised me being there. But, overall, I realized that the WTS has no business trying to pressure its members away from this support. An alcoholic has to do what works for him. The Witness meetings make me want to pour myself a strong one!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I started attending AA meetings in 1989 when I was an elder. I even held hands at the end of the meeting and prayed the Our Father prayer. That is the part the WT frowns upon....praying with "false religion". For me, AA helped me see that non JW's were and are some of the nicest people ever. It was the beginning of the end for me. Goodbye WT!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hi Geoff,

That is the part the WT frowns upon....praying with "false religion". For me, AA helped me see that non JW's were and are some of the nicest people ever.

Yes it's sad. I've seen elders fearful of getting involved with AA because of the element of 'shared worship'. However I think its one of those 'least said soonest mended' situations that unless someone was attending AA instead of going to meetings or specifically went around telling the cong they were praying with non-jws, it doesn't need to become an issue.

In answer to the very specific part of your enquiry Geoff, 're: your studying friend, May be a good intro into explaining why becoming a dubbie isn't a good idea.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Actually, @stillin, the "secret" has been out for a while now:

'Osbourne recalled seeing Bowie at AA meetings and at random locations. "I briefly met him once when I was going to Hugo's [in Los Angeles] with my wife for breakfast. I'd just been to Barney's Beanery," he says. "I heard someone say, 'Hello, Ozzy.' And it's bloody Bowie shouting across the road to me." He laughs.'

-Rolling Stone interview, January 2016 issue.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I can only recall that it is "frowned on" (i.e. You won't hold any positions in the congregation, but you can't be DFed) because some of the program is religious based. Not denominational, but generic Bible/Christian based.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Why don't you explain your JW past to your coworker and offer to give him a fuller picture of the religion and your experience? Seems like kinda a dick move to watch someone getting indoctrinated into a cult all the while just standing by and watching.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I imagine the WBT$ will consider it 'bad association™', rather than a genuine attempt at helping oneself.

I imagine the WBT$ will say you need to do more for them and give them more money and it'll all be better by magic.

Let's recult, it's a view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit