Anyone Here Lost Their Inheritance To The WT?

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

On one level I commeserate, it must suck to see good money going to a bad cause. On the other hand, it's your folks money, you have no right to it.

My parents are retired (finally) and doing quite well financially. Where we stand now each of us kids stand to get a large chunk of change. Still, I encourage my folks to SPEND IT, have fun. They've earned the money, they deserve the fun.

• undercover
    undercover
    On one level I commeserate, it must suck to see good money going to a bad cause. On the other hand, it's your folks money, you have no right to it.

I've wondered if my parents are going to leave everything to the WTS. But at the same time I try to not care. It's not my money. I'd rather they spend their money while alive to enjoy their later years than horde it for some money grubbers later(whether the WTS or my siblings). The sad thing though is that many don't have a decent retirement fund or any money to leave behind or to spend even because they lived their lives as if the world was ending and they wouldn't need it. Now they are stuck. And this places burdens on the world that JWs hate so much because they have to rely on social services.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey E-man,no, not yet.When my parents pass on you can be sure the money will go to my siblings and the WBTS.I walked away from their money a very long time ago,and they didn`t like it much,LOL!...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 22 January 2003 12:19:20

• rocky220
    rocky220

Hey Outlaw!!!!, Maybe you can leave your PENGUIN FARM to the Blotchtower, but not before it can be announced on National TV....[hee-hee].........rocky220

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

yes

• pandora
    pandora

At one point, all of my parents children were free and clear of the religion. At that point, everything probably would have been willed to the WTS, just out of spite. But now,, one of the siblings has crawled back and defamed herself. I'm very certain that my parents will reward her for her brused knees.
    -P(J)

• Mary
    Mary

I know my uncle lost quite a bit to the Borg a few years ago when his step-mother died. She was real miserable and my uncle's father had passed away several years before, and so Uncle Henry was stuck looking after the old witch (I remember her well - she was the Wicked Witch of the West alright). My uncle was a really nice guy and always treated her good no matter how shabbily she treated him. As a final gesture of true Christianity, she left the entire estate, probably worth about $250,000 to the Borg - Uncle Henry didn't get one dime. He wasn't that upset as he's well off financially anyway (it was the principal of the matter), but one of my cousins literally went and pissed on the old bat's grave one day just to say "thanks".

Nothing can top the talk that our old District Overseer gave a few years ago at the District Assembly. He actually gave an experience of one brother (never married, no kids) who died and left his estate, estimated at over $100,000, to the Humane Society. The DO was obviously pissed off and disgusted that he didn't leave it to the Borg and he sarcastically said from the platform "I guess you could say his money literally went to the dogs." What a pig from hell he was.

• Southland
    Southland

I am personally seeing many of the parents of the friends I grew up with in the Truth suffering financially in their older age as they made no preparations. They never expected the "system would last this long."

My own mother no longer feels so negative about my having started investing in my 401k when I was 21 years old. Nor any longer do I hear anything about the importance of "relying on Jehovah instead of yourself" to survive. This is quite a big change, because before it was a sign of a lack of faith in Jehovah to be taking these steps that I have.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I haven't, but I knew a family it happened to. The father committed suicide, and the insurance paid (technicality............he was being treated for depression or something), and the widow inherited a huge fortune from that policy. They had one child, but she had three from a former marriage, before becoming a witness. When she was in her mid 40's, she had a massive stroke and died. The children were all grown, but none were JW's, having gone their own way. She left all of her estate to the WTS.

BUT...........the good news is, the kids got an attorney, and sued. The case was dropped, and the WTS gave the money back to the kids.

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

Hello Mulan,

I would be interested how they could get the money back from the WTS. I may be in a similar situation some day. What recourse did they have if she had a will and named the WTS as the beneficiary?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit