Greetings from the Newbie

by Yerusalyim 16 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Welcome, Yeru. I'm another of those who felt it unnecessary to legitimize the WTBTS by following their rules on DAing oneself. I just stopped going. I honestly didn't care about them anymore--certainly not enough to go to the trouble of offficially removing myself from their ranks. Being inactive definitely has its advantages...and so far, no one has bothered me by trying to urge me to re-activate myself.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Yeru,Zazu, and RHW,
    OK I see what you all mean now. Something I knew one could do, I just never thought of it as giving legitimacy to the society.

• neyank
    neyank

Hello Yerusalyim,
    Welcome to the board.
    I've enjoyed reading your posts at H20.
    Good point you made in reguard to formally disassociating from the WTS would be
    giving them authority over that person.

That's the stance I have taken myself.
    I've been inactive for a couple of years and I have come to the realisation that the WTS
    is not Gods chosen org.
    But I have no plans on giving them a formal letter of disassociation as that would show them
    that they still have power over me.

You said that you're a chaplains ass. with the special forces?
    That wouldn't be the 10th would it?

neyank

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

neyank,

Well, up until about 18 months ago it was with 10 GP over in Stuttgart. GREAT UNIT, I know most of the Chaplain Staff that is at Carson and Stuttgart now. I'm currently with 5th.

Blessings

Yeru

• waiting
    waiting

hello yeru,

Nice to meet you. I think I was reading some of your posts on h20 recently. Strange place lately (not you, btw).

Lisa75 and BlondeonBlonde are unique......

Enjoy the forum - all's invited.

waiting

• JanH
    JanH

Greetings, Yerusalyim, and welcome.

Well, I don't necessarily agree thatyou play their rules by disassociating yourself. Some obviously feel that way, others feel that this is the first action where they are truly controlling their own fate. To each his own.

All you really recognize by sending in a letter of disassociation is that the Jehovah's Witness organization formally exists (and that would be foolish to deny), and that you were once a member but no longer are.

Another issue is that humans have a tendency to value rituals. When someone dies, we want to bring closure by having a funeral, even though few of us believe it benefits the diseased in any way. Many feel the need for a formal "ceremony" when they leave the WTS life and starts a new life outside, and sending in such a formal letter of disassociarion can be a sort of mini-ritual that brings closure.

Finally, writing exactly what you mean can be one way to vent some built-up anger, hopefully getting it off your chest.

Again, to each his (or her) own. I don't think anyone should criticize neither those who write such a letter, or those who chose to "drift away."

- Jan
    --
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate." - Occam

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

LOL @ Trevor - you really don't wanna know where he got his name from (unless you like being grossed-out) If we're unlucky he'll retell the story.

unclebruce

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit