JW UN Rumor

by ivanatahan 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

I heard basically the same variant, only it was a pioneer talking to a UN official in an elevator. Perhaps the pioneer was visiting the UN as a tourist.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Saintbertholdt...

So what bits were left out? :smirk:

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator
    Magnum, that's the exact version of the story that I've heard.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Magnum

I heard a similar rumor around 1997. Here it is:

Magnum, I heard that same story in the late 60s,

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

a un official came up to the jw who presented the cult and told him to "speed up the preaching work", because they plan on doing the ban soon.

Imagine that, a useless organization who has zero power in the world trying to ban religion in all countries. Exactly which government is looking to have mass rioting and unrest to deal with? In the US religious folks are willing to bomb abortion clinics simply because they feel it's offending their imaginary sky friend. Now imagine what would happen if a government official tried to ban their religion.

There is simply no conceivable reason to ban religion at all.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    It was quite the paradigm shift when I realized that the UN Security Council barely had the clout to enforce resolutions protecting religious freedoms, let alone successfully marshall a planet-wide campaign to supress them.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    @ Saintbertholdt...
    So what bits were left out? :smirk:

Hi Vidiot,

The bits I omitted from the report are highlighted in yellow below:

From the UN report number: A/HRC/28/66, Entitled: Report of the Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief
    Section III: Conclusions and recommendations
    A. Recommendations to all relevant stakeholders

86. Government representatives, religious communities, civil society organizations, the media and other relevant stakeholders should reject and speak out promptly, clearly and loudly against any acts of violence committed in the name of religion as well as related incitement...

87. Public condemnations against violence committed in the name of religion should be made on the basis of an adequately complex analysis of the problem, including its underlying systemic root causes.

88. The different stakeholders should jointly contribute to the containment and eventual elimination of violence committed in the name of of religion by making creative use of their space and specific potential. They should also cooperate in neutralizing any possible radicalization efforts that target foreign fighters who returned to their country of origin.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind
    I heard that same Urban Legend back in 1977 ! I was a young teenager .Our group of other JW teens would sit around discussing how close the end was ,and this secret private intel was PROOF .....boy were we gullible
  • Oogie
    Oogie

I heard where someone from the U.N would phone Bethel occasionally to see where they preaching work was at to see how much time the U.N. had.

I also heard a variant of the walnut story with a cop eating peanuts out of a bowl which had had the chocolate sucked off.

Aah...JW mythos.

• Autumnation4414
    Autumnation4414
    My favorite JW myth was the one about the smurf doll that got up and walked out of the meeting, proving that smurfs were satanic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit