JW UN Rumor

by ivanatahan 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

I heard a similar rumor around 1997. Here it is:

A JW gave some kind of discourse or presentation at some kind of meeting at which were present some U.N. officials. The JW supposedly said that the U.N. was going to turn on false religion. After the discourse, a U.N. official went up to him and said "We've been planning that. How did you know?"

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Yep. Heard the one about the plane too. Which one is the one about the two pioneer sisters and the walnut?
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    I heard the same rumor except the UN official was a smurf.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

StarTrekAngel - Two pioneer sisters were studying with an old lady who gave them a cup of tea on each visit, accompanied by a bowl of walnuts, which they always ate. After several weeks of studying, the old lady brought out the tea and walnuts again - but this time, they were chocolate-covered walnuts. The sisters were delighted at this change, until the old lady apologised. She said that she'd been very busy that morning, and hadn't had the time to suck the chocolate off the nuts before they arrived!

This was put around as a true story from England.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Back in the day, I guess pre 1970 so not on the cd rom, the Awake ran an article something like "Is the U N Manoeuvring To Ban Religion?" ...It described a resolution that could be misapplied so as to curtail religious activity. We never heard any more about it.

BTW - As a kid I heard that a sister called at the home of a spirit medium. The medium said that her favourite demon had been preoccupied and explained that they had been discussing how to deal with religions (or was it J W's?) Anyway, my big sister was rattled by the story.......

• Giordano
    Giordano
    The one thing that is not a myth is that the WT was smooching with the UN and got caught!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I often wonder if this one was made up by a TTATTer just to see if the R&F would run with it.

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

Here's my personal favorite JW urban myth:

A brother worked as a janitor at a college. He was also a genius.

One day, a supposedly unsolvable math problem was written on the markerboard in a classroom that he cleaned. (You can see where this is going.) Day after day the problem remained unsolved on the board until one day, the brother decided he would take a stab at it. He picked up a marker and went to work.

When the professor arrived the next day and found the problem solved, he demanded to know who solved it. No one came forward. Hearing of this later, the brother decides to come forward and claim his work. Somehow he was able to prove that he alone had cracked the code.

The university staff decided that a brilliant man like him needed to be rewarded, so he was given a full ride scholarship that wouldn't interfere his pioneering, (as well as some cash).

The person who related this to me was giggling the whole time, he said he didn't have the heart to tell the old sister telling the tale that it was the plot of Good Will Hunting.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Searcher:Two pioneer sisters were studying with an old lady who gave them a cup of tea on each visit, accompanied by a bowl of walnuts, which they always ate. After several weeks of studying, the old lady brought out the tea and walnuts again - but this time, they were chocolate-covered walnuts. The sisters were delighted at this change, until the old lady apologised. She said that she'd been very busy that morning, and hadn't had the time to suck the chocolate off the nuts before they arrived!

I've never heard that one before. A story like that could only come from the macabre Edgar Alan Poe like mind of a Brit. LOL

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

I'm afraid your mother is right this time.

From the UN report number: A/HRC/28/66, Entitled: Report of the Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief
    Section III: Conclusions and recommendations
    A. Recommendations to all relevant stakeholders

86. Government representatives, ...civil society organizations, the media and other relevant stakeholders should reject and speak out promptly, clearly and loudly against... religion as well as related incitement...

87. Public condemnations against ...religion should be made on the basis of an adequately complex analysis of the problem, including its underlying systemic root causes.

88. The different stakeholders should jointly contribute to the containment and eventual elimination ...of religion by making creative use of their space and specific potential. They should also cooperate in neutralizing any possible radicalization efforts...
    ---
    The above is an example of how to deliberately misquote and manipulate a UN report to make it look as if the UN hates Religion. No additions, just some word omissions. Now go show it to your mother and make her decade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit