help me understand: My wife seems to be utterly detested by skelletons and skulls. Why?

by goingthruthemotions 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

In Victorian times, a skull was not an unusual thing to have in the house. Be it on the side board or even on the table. It was considered to be a reminder as to our fallibility and an inevitable end to our earthly existence.

There is a famous Mexican painting/drawing of two women at a cafe, wearing hats. On closer inspection the image is entirely of a "skull". I found it clever and have never seen anything to match it.

I don't know why she freaks out at skulls for we all have them, it's just ours are currently filled in with skin and cartilage.

There were some supposed "embedded" images in some WT magazines a few years back maybe she thinks they are some sort of demonic thing. Strange thinking, considering if she didn't have one her face would not exist.

• eva luna
    eva luna

I was raised around the time your wife was.

I never had that fear. I still wont watch demo movies. Cant seem to get rid of that old fear.

Funny, my 6th grade teacher had a real skeleton hung in the middle of our class room. we could dress him , even make a fake joint for him. lol.

Studied anatomy.

Also living in a surfing area, that is a common theme in hoodies and such.

A lot of 'Day of The Dead' crafts from Mexico here too. I like their tradition. It looks at death in a different manner.

But , when my mom would see my stuff or my kids. It did really upset and confused her.

She has lost many family members and it reminds her of death and I think mostly loss of loved ones.

Now I have put some of my art work away, as it reminds me of loss too.

I would love a skeleton hanging around to help relearn some things I have forgotten. Our structure is fascinating

• kaik
    kaik

Skeletons had different meaning in different times. Medieval Europe was fascinated with the issue of death after Black Death pandemic and throughout the Catholic world, many charnel houses were build around Europe. These ossuaries were often called the Church of the Bones. They were a reminder to people that life is temporary, while the death is permanent. Bones also symbolized the building block of the human body, so the bones were used in the churches as a building block in true spiritual and religious sense for these people. In the peak of the late feudal era, there were hundreds of these charnel houses around Europe. In Czech Republic there are still several Bone churches open to public. While many people in the 21st century are puzzled by the existence, they were nothing to be feared in the middle ages. I had visited several of them and I really liked them. I think how these people looked, what were their hopes and worries, what they were doing for livelihood, and how they died.

Some of the bone churches in Bohemia:

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    Isn't bone china made from bones.........? Of course it is and very expensive too. I think the entire earth is one huge grave. We are just going back into the earth at the end, then something might grow out of us. I think a nice weed growing out of my dead bones would be nice. Or, just stick my skull on your' mantle piece
  • eva luna
    eva luna

Umberto,

I call living, 'The Conveyor Belt of Death'

We just all have to get used to it.

I 'm more for feeding an olive tree or a saniovese vine with my bone broth...smile

[p.s. , i loved name of the rose]

Kaik,

There are similar places in Rome. Very interesting.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Heh, I'll never forget not long after the Exorcist came out, they had the paperback on the counter at the grocery store. I absently picked it up to see what it was (I was maybe 12/13), and my mother nearly had a heart attack. Screamed and grabbed it out of my hand throwing it down on the counter like it was on fire.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I dont have an irrational response to death, skulls, skeletons, but I am not attracted at all to death culture or ed hardy styles or any of that. I do associate it with some negative stuff, but that has less to do with the borg than it does with life experience. Im not attracted to darkness or death.
  • kaik
    kaik

Many years ago I helped on of my acquaintances who is an artist with Czech translation on the Bone churches of Bohemia. At that time he had a theme which was has to do with macabre arts for some Halloween production and I introduced him into this heritage of medieval Europe. Sedlec ossuary appeared in several movies like Dungeon and Dragons. In the peak of the medieval times, there were at least 250 of these Bone churches in Kingdom of Bohemia alone, from which 1/4 survived until today. I have not feel anything negative by visiting these sites. I actually find them peaceful. It also tells me that JW beliefs on resurrection is all BS. All these million of people lived, had dreams, and died, and nothing is left of them than bones. There won't be any earthly resurrection, Earth cannot accommodate all these people (about 90 billions). JWs are afraid of these places, because it will reveal how deficient is the system of beliefs, especially dealing with death.

Evora in Portugal, Kudowa in Poland, or Milano are known for its Bone Churches. There are probably hundreds of more around Europe, forgotten and hidden from public eye. If sex was a taboo in 18th and especially in 19th century, the death is the taboo of the 21st century. Skulls and bones are not demonic nor has nothing to do with occultism. It is one of the made-up WT things to control its members.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Those bone churches are truly fascinating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit